Does Age Matter?

• Does Age Matter?

Does age really matter? 16
        Yes. (1) 6%
        No. (3) 19%
        Depends. (12) 75%
      This post is half me needing advice half me asking your opininion on age differences between people that are dating.

To begin with, there's a girl I know who I am very good friends with. I know for a fact she likes me and I like her too. I hesitate to ask her out because of our age difference. She is 11 and is going into 7th grade. I am 13 and going into 8th grade. I do fancy her and I am wondering what you guys think.

My second part is I want to know my online communiy's opinions on this subject. Please give your honest answer. Does age really matter?

Luke
    • Re: Does Age Matter?

No age doesn't matter to the heart or the biology.

While we weren't discussing sex but relationships which don't necessarily start off in such sexual manners I must bring up that there is no magic number for sexual readiness. There are men and women who have engaged at sex at 11 without any sort of emotional problems but it all depends on how the two of you feel about it, not something to rush into but not something to rule out as restricted to certain age groups.
      Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind. ~Immanuel Kant, Critique of Pure Reason
      [CENTER]The greatest thing you'll ever learn
      Is just to Love
      And be Loved in return
      [/CENTER]

DeaExMachina wrote:

No age doesn't matter to the heart or the biology.

While we weren't discussing sex but relationships which don't necessarily start off in such sexual manners I must bring up that there is no magic number for sexual readiness. There are men and women who have engaged at sex at 11 without any sort of emotional problems but it all depends on how the two of you feel about it, not something to rush into but not something to rule out as restricted to certain age groups.

There are also men who attempted genocide, does that make it okay to do it?

amando96 wrote:

There are also men who attempted genocide, does that make it okay to do it?

This is what we call a failure at reductio ad absudium argument. To properly apply reductio ad absudrium arguement you must not be hyperbolic about the comparison.

Original statement:
      Doing X doesn't inherently have negative effects, proceed if both parties want to.

Counter Statement:
      Some people killed a lot of people so does that make it ok?

As you can see your power of argumentation is 0. When there is no harm done, there is no "wrong" which is in and of itself a highly subjective term. How do you determine wrong? Objective morality? Laws of the land? I determine wrong by whether anyone is hurt and as long as both are accepting of what they do then they can go ahead and do it. I enjoyed a healthy sexual lifestyle young and know many others who have done the same, there are also those who have and been hurt but it wasn't because they chose to it was because they were forced into it and hurt. Such things don't make the act itself inherently harmful.
      Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind. ~Immanuel Kant, Critique of Pure Reason
      [CENTER]The greatest thing you'll ever learn
      Is just to Love
      And be Loved in return
      [/CENTER]

No; as long as it's not illegal.

However I think 11 is far too young to be dating.
      [CENTER]R.I.P Captain Jack Sparrow, 13/3/09[/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]You did it, beautiful.<3[/CENTER]
      formspring.me/Asperitas <- Don't be a fgt. It makes you look bad.
      [RIGHT]omygaga.tumblr.com/ <-Blog of godlike proportions.
      [/RIGHT]

I'm gonna be talking from experience.

I'm in grade 11, the youngest I've dated is grade 9 (which would be 14 yrs old with 16 yrs old). 2 year difference there. Although age does play a role in dating it isn't the biggest one (to me at least). 2 years isn't too much of a difference although at that age it may be looked at as weird by others, since most people at your age (at least around here) date a maximum of 1 year under until they hit high school.

If you really want to be with her and she wants to be with you go for it, no harm done, just be ready for the comments and remarks some people might make (but if you truly wanted to be with her why would you listen?).

As for anything sexual (not saying this is leading to that, just giving you a heads up) she is way to young (and yourself for that matter :P (although I was around that age first time...)). And since you said it yourself she hasn't hit puberty as far as you can tell I'd give her a good while before doing anything sexual with her (excluding maybe a kiss here or there).

I don't know... just my 2 cents.

Although age does matter to me , just a 2 year difference is no big deal . You should definitely go for it . For me , I'd never date anyone more than 2 years younger than me because they would be jail bait , but once I get older , I have no problem dating someone up to 6 years younger than me or 6 years older than me . But yes , age does matter to me .
      [CENTER]"Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul." ~Marilyn Monroe[/CENTER]

age can matter in some circumstances, like when the age difference is massive and theres an obvious generation gap between the two people, and it can matter when the law becomes an issue

in most cases it doesnt matter at all and in your case go for it, 2 years is nothing :)
      we all got troubles, we all got pain, we try to hang onto love, try to keep it the same, we all got issues, i put mine in my songs, sometimes im not fine but im carrying on