Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill

• Re: Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill

Normally I might write something about the corporations or response of government but I'm sure it has been covered. Frankly at this point I don't care. Those ducks don't care, the turtles don't care, the fisherman who very frankly put it "Nobody wants no oily shrimp." They don't care what our government or this corporation has to say. Not in the slightest.

Fix it. Stop diverting blame. No one wants to hear a company get on national tv and say things like "after investigations we'll figure out who and what is to blame" DO SOMETHING. Stop going on talk shows, your time could be better spent picking up a duck and a bottle of Dawn. Swallow your pride, admit you screwed up and you need all the help you can get. Stop 'deciding' which idea is best go for them all at top speed and whatever works the best and fastest wins. Stop talking about how much this is costing YOU when an entire ecosystem is being wiped out. When men who just got back up on their feet from Katrina are staring out at water that they can't fish and are deciding what do they do now. They don't care how many billions you aren't making or how much money any of these theories on stopping the oil leak is going to cost you. None of us do. Close your mouth. Open your mind. Fix it.
      [SIGPIC]http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww267/libbyu/newyntk-12.jpg[/SIGPIC]
      http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/elisebell

Wow I just got a comment that said I was shallow and needed to think with an open mind. Well I don't think there is much to be open about oil spilling millions of gallons into the ocean. I think everyone can agree it isn't a good thing. Not only that but I could care less who they blame they need to fix it. So if my mind is 'closed' on this issue. I can live with that.

---------- Post added at 03:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 AM ----------

DeaExMachina wrote:

Did anyone actually think Obama would do anything in his presidency? McCain was the better choice, not by much though. Preferably picked a non-Dem/Rep would have been best for this nation our two party system is killing us...

Anyways, the BP disaster was a fiasco. The MSS was under staffed, under funded and unable to perform their duties and let this refinery not get the inspections it needed. Neither the Government nor BP had any sort of plans prepared for how to handle what anyone should have known would happen eventually, obviously no one thought eventually was going to be this soon.

It was pure foolishness and our damned unsightly system is only making it worse.

Mccain was a good choice, then he picked Sara Palin. Story over. She was and still is a nut and she set woman back quite a ways with her idiocy and hoping she could just rely on a smile and bounce.
      [SIGPIC]http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww267/libbyu/newyntk-12.jpg[/SIGPIC]
      http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/elisebell

Aleksandr wrote:

Obama has failed on all his promises to the American people, his smoke and mirrors plow has been uncovered.
      QUOTE]
      Wait a politican that said one thing befor they got elected and then did something completly different afterwards...that has never happened before in the history of time...:rolleyes:

Jarndyce wrote:

That's just impractical though. The oil is still needed everywhere, so the USA would have to buy it overseas, which would raise the price of oil even further. You can't just decide we should stop using oil so we will stop offshore drilling. It has to be fazed out first and replaced with other energy sources, or the economy will hit another recession, as it has every time in the past when international oil issues have arisen.

If the US needs oil that bad they could always invade Iran...:rolleyes:

On a more serious note...the idea that the oil spill is somehow a political snafu is laughable, simply because all the onus and blame should fall on the company that casued the spill. This is not Obama's fault, he does not have a magic oil spill creating machine, nor does he have a magic wand to clean it up (by the by I am not an Obama fan at all). This problem is BP's problem and if the only ideas that their brightest scientists can come up with are trying to clog the pipe with trash and putting cap on the end, I have serious doubts about the future of mankind. The only real politcal implications that this has is that it shows how badly we need to invest in alternate fuel sources!
      What I should have said was...Nothing!

eh BP could be doing a lot more. They had barely any "skimmer" boats out cleaning up the mess from the surface and were getting pushed to acutally hire locals near to spill to use their boats to help with the effort. They finally did but I still feel they could do a lot more. And honestly I was for McCain but I don't think either were that great. Pick your poison kind of a situation, which is why I hate politics >.>. Anywho, hope they clean it up and solve the issue soon. Poor environment it takes enough abuse. lol
      [CENTER]We live in a huge world and I want to see every part of it. Come with me? :D[/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

On a more serious note...the idea that the oil spill is somehow a political snafu is laughable, simply because all the onus and blame should fall on the company that casued the spill. This is not Obama's fault, he does not have a magic oil spill creating machine, nor does he have a magic wand to clean it up (by the by I am not an Obama fan at all). This problem is BP's problem and if the only ideas that their brightest scientists can come up with are trying to clog the pipe with trash and putting cap on the end, I have serious doubts about the future of mankind. The only real politcal implications that this has is that it shows how badly we need to invest in alternate fuel sources!
      nah yo, the minute the oil started pouring out into the Gulf of Mexico, it became more than just BP's problem, although BP is the catalyst for all this shit

you're right yo, Obama didn't purposely or deliberately cause this situation, but at the same time, he should be publicly putting pressure on BP every single day, such as threatening to seize their assets if they don't show some real progress, etc. etc.

these BP guys, particularly the CEO of BP, seem to be taking too much of this in stride, and that's gotta change

eh BP could be doing a lot more. They had barely any "skimmer" boats out cleaning up the mess from the surface and were getting pushed to acutally hire locals near to spill to use their boats to help with the effort. They finally did but I still feel they could do a lot more. And honestly I was for McCain but I don't think either were that great. Pick your poison kind of a situation, which is why I hate politics >.>. Anywho, hope they clean it up and solve the issue soon. Poor environment it takes enough abuse. lol
      The thing is, when it comes to the choices of Obama and McCain, we have no one to blame but ourselves yo, the American people fell for their rhetoric (especially Obama's), and thus we got stuck with two buffoons

The American people need to be more involved and educated about politics despite our hate for it, that way we can get politicians we know will get the job done into Congress or the Presidency yo

Prophet of 50 Cent wrote:

you're right yo, Obama didn't purposely or deliberately cause this situation, but at the same time, he should be publicly putting pressure on BP every single day, such as threatening to seize their assets if they don't show some real progress, etc. etc.

Really? I certainly hope this issue is resolved as soon as possible, but the last thing I want is for Obama to use this for more anti-business rhetoric. The whole statement about keeping the boot on the neck of BP is already concerning.

Heard an interesting statistic about this the other day, when all of that well is emptied into the gulf it will only equal one hour of american consumption. Before you call me a commy im an american, i love my country, and will soon be serving in the air force. However we a gluttons. We consume and import more energy than any other nation in the world. All because we are to stubborn to change to new better fuels. Im not hippie i realize that fossil fuels have a place but energy that is clean and infinite just not being utilized. Seems like its kind of a no brainer.

Cripple wrote:

Heard an interesting statistic about this the other day, when all of that well is emptied into the gulf it will only equal one hour of american consumption. Before you call me a commy im an american, i love my country, and will soon be serving in the air force. However we a gluttons. We consume and import more energy than any other nation in the world. All because we are to stubborn to change to new better fuels. Im not hippie i realize that fossil fuels have a place but energy that is clean and infinite just not being utilized. Seems like its kind of a no brainer.

Ever considered why other fuels aren't used?

Cripple wrote:

hmm because the initial cost is higher?

TOTAL cost is higher? Probably. I always get annoyed when I hear people complaining about people and companies only focusing on initial costs. Anyone who learnt basic finance would realise companies don't make decisions based on "HUURR DUURR this has a lower upfront cost" without reference to any other factors. But yeah, my general point is that it probably isn't economically viable.

Cripple wrote:

Because we could potentially lose jobs?

That wouldn't have any impact on the choice to move over unless some union got together with government to regulate any change. Possible, but I'd need some convincing that the net effect of such regulation is to increase the use of petrol.

Cripple wrote:

because lobbyists have there hands in the wallets of congress?

Again, possible, but I'd need some convincing that with all the environmentalist lobbies around and all the hype about encouraging investment in alternative fuels that the net impact is to encourage petrol use.

Really? I certainly hope this issue is resolved as soon as possible, but the last thing I want is for Obama to use this for more anti-business rhetoric. The whole statement about keeping the boot on the neck of BP is already concerning.

Don't get me wrong yo, I'm normally against his anti-business rhetoric, but with how they've fucked up so much as it is already and their overall sloth-like attitude about the situation? I wouldn't be opposed to their assets being seized, whether it be a temporary thing or a permanent thing

From what I've heard, they're gonna stop working on the oil spill until late June/early July for some reason, and if that's the case, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong yo, I'm normally against his anti-business rhetoric, but with how they've fucked up so much as it is already and their overall sloth-like attitude about the situation? I wouldn't be opposed to their assets being seized, whether it be a temporary thing or a permanent thing

I really don't want to set a precedent for Obama stealing the assets of businesses beyond what already exists in the case of freezing assets to compensate those harmed.

From what I've heard, they're gonna stop working on the oil spill until late June/early July for some reason, and if that's the case, that's absolutely ridiculous.

I think the story is that they extra holes won't be drilled until then.

Ah the Ironies of history.
      I would have thought all Americans would be rejoicing this day.
      After bspending the last 60 years conniving bullying & killing all over the world to get your hands on as many sources of oil as possible they now find themselves with as much oil as as they want.& it is all free.Coutesy of a British company.Surely their cup runneth over.

The US no longer has to look for oil.The oil is looking for them

justagirl5377 wrote:

Ah the Ironies of history.
      I would have thought all Americans would be rejoicing this day.
      After bspending the last 60 years conniving bullying & killing all over the world to get your hands on as many sources of oil as possible they now find themselves with as much oil as as they want.& it is all free.Coutesy of a British company.Surely their cup runneth over.

The US no longer has to look for oil.The oil is looking for them

huurr duurr

There's a huge difference between "unlimited free oil" and "oil leaking uncontrolably into the ocean".

There are some rumors that the British government was doing something illegal with weapon testing and caused the "accident" on purpose to cover up their true intent. Also some think as a reprisal for the Boston Tea Party.
      I give cam shows every now and then, but I MUST know you and be comfortable with you before I will do them for you! If interested, contact me and get to know me!

Aleksandr wrote:

There are some rumors that the British government was doing something illegal with weapon testing and caused the "accident" on purpose to cover up their true intent. Also some think as a reprisal for the Boston Tea Party.

I'm going to assume those came out of those Tea Party idiots without any sort of factual basis, as usual. :rolleyes: Britain collaborates with the US arms industry since the US feeds them most of their mil tech these days anyways and England is terribly buddy-buddy with the US to think that anyone politically would think of the Boston Tea Party as a valid concern is rubbish.
      Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind. ~Immanuel Kant, Critique of Pure Reason
      [CENTER]The greatest thing you'll ever learn
      Is just to Love
      And be Loved in return
      [/CENTER]

As I said, history is full of ironies.The US wanted loads of cheap oil.& it's now got it.And free of charge to.Suck it up & be careful what you pray for

The truth is that the US amongst others has pilaged the world in its selfish desire to continue driving its monsterous cars on sheap petrol & to indulge its greed for ever more material goods
      At the same time it has done damn all about ecological damage its greed has created & supported ever decreasing restraints on its piratical financiers & industrialists
      The search for oil takes place now in ever hazzardous enviroments,regulations are slight & big oil has the money to minimise them.The Gulf was a tragedy waiting to happen.I'm so pleased that when it did it was off the coast of the US & it was a british company involved.Two bastards hoist by their own petards & no 3rd party innocents caught up in it.Part of me is crying with laughter.They so deserve each other
      But of course no one will learn anything.Governments will not be allowed to regulate.The US citizen will continue to gorge on cheap petrol & goods.The owners of BP will make a fortune one way or the other,& Big oil will make a fortune out of BP's misfortune
      Only BP's workers & small shareholders will lose,plus the poor workers of Louisiana .And of course the ecology of the area.But these do not count in the scheme of things they having little voting power,little money,& fuck the South ,Americans can go on holiday somewhere else.

Anyway why should I care.I'm off sailing.With luck I might meet up with the CEO of BP.

justagirl5377 wrote:

As I said, history is full of ironies.The US wanted loads of cheap oil.& it's now got it.And free of charge to.Suck it up & be careful what you pray for

The truth is that the US amongst others has pilaged the world in its selfish desire to continue driving its monsterous cars on sheap petrol & to indulge its greed for ever more material goods
      At the same time it has done damn all about ecological damage its greed has created & supported ever decreasing restraints on its piratical financiers & industrialists
      The search for oil takes place now in ever hazzardous enviroments,regulations are slight & big oil has the money to minimise them.The Gulf was a tragedy waiting to happen.I'm so pleased that when it did it was off the coast of the US & it was a british company involved.Two bastards hoist by their own petards & no 3rd party innocents caught up in it.Part of me is crying with laughter.They so deserve each other
      But of course no one will learn anything.Governments will not be allowed to regulate.The US citizen will continue to gorge on cheap petrol & goods.The owners of BP will make a fortune one way or the other,& Big oil will make a fortune out of BP's misfortune
      Only BP's workers & small shareholders will lose,plus the poor workers of Louisiana .And of course the ecology of the area.But these do not count in the scheme of things they having little voting power,little money,& fuck the South ,Americans can go on holiday somewhere else.

Anyway why should I care.I'm off sailing.With luck I might meet up with the CEO of BP.

Now your getting angry at the U.S.? Well alright then, go ahead spel badz to, mkay?

But seriously, are jealous cause you don't have a car?
      [SIZE=4][SIZE=3]They see me trollin'...they hatin'... Moderatin'...Tryna catch me writin dirty.[/SIZE]
      [/SIZE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]