Diets

• Frosty wrote:

There's no reason to go vegan, and plenty of reasons not to.

this is about diet. and i don't know with what reasoning if you lead a healthy vegan lifestyle you would say that when the threadmaker asked about losing weight.

though i don't eat a lot of dairy products (mainly i just eat pizza as my girlfriend works in a pizza parlor and i come by it freely) but i'm not vegan. it makes sense though. why would i want the milk (and milk byproducts) or eggs of another creature?
      i don't sleep
    • batfeet wrote:

this is about diet. and i don't know with what reasoning if you lead a healthy vegan lifestyle you would say that when the threadmaker asked about losing weight.

Because you're unnecessarily cutting out good sources of nutrition that could be beneficial in losing weight in a healthy manner.

batfeet wrote:

why would i want the milk (and milk byproducts) or eggs of another creature?

Because they're nutritious?
    • Frosty wrote:

To lose weight you need to run a calorie deficit. Cramming down the carbs and then struggling in vain to burn off the extra calories is counter-productive and a waste of time.

There's no reason to go vegan, and plenty of reasons not to.

I agree with you on the vegan part.

But if you eat lots of carbs and do heavy exercise it is not struggling in vain.
      In fact I am sure people that eat carbs and do heavy exercise are healthier than people who do no/light exercise and eat little carbs.

It isn't a waste of time because you become healthier, when you cut down on the calories I think you lose muscle mass too.

So like I said... good diet+exercise>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> starving yourself.

You might lose more weight starving yourself, but it is less healthy.
      Also you can achieve the calorie deficit you talk about by just exercising more, which is healthier for you.
    • Trigger93 wrote:

I agree with you on the vegan part.

But if you eat lots of carbs and do heavy exercise it is not struggling in vain.
      In fact I am sure people that eat carbs and do heavy exercise are healthier than people who do no/light exercise and eat little carbs.

It isn't a waste of time because you become healthier, when you cut down on the calories I think you lose muscle mass too.

So like I said... good diet+exercise>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> starving yourself.

You might lose more weight starving yourself, but it is less healthy.
      Also you can achieve the calorie deficit you talk about by just exercising more, which is healthier for you.

I never said anything about starving yourself, you're just making a false dichotomy between "high carbs and exercise" and "starving yourself and no exercise".

And besides, moderate to low carbs + exercise is healthier. You don't need to cram down carbs unless you're doing endless hours of cardio exercise, which isn't really healthy for the body anyway.
    • batfeet wrote:

its not impossible to lose weight in a healthy manner and be vegan simultaneously. and you can get those nutrients in other ways besides dairy which is very fatty

Your body actually needs fat to maintain itself.
      Every single one of your cells has a cell membrane which is composed of... LIPIDS.

Dairy is very healthy for you because of the nutrients in it including protein and calcium.
      Whole Milk is awesome.
    • batfeet wrote:

its not impossible to lose weight in a healthy manner and be vegan simultaneously.

I never made an assertion to the contrary. I'm just saying that path isn't ideal.

batfeet wrote:

and you can get those nutrients in other ways besides dairy which is very fatty

Plenty of those nutrients are much harder to get. And fat isn't bad for you. Take your broscience back to the 1980's.
    • Frosty wrote:

I never made an assertion to the contrary. I'm just saying that path isn't ideal.

Plenty of those nutrients are much harder to get. And fat isn't bad for you. Take your broscience back to the 1980's.

I just don't know why the idea needs to be attacked as this is a thread about losing weight. Which can easily be done with calisthenics and a vegan diet.

I'm unsure what broscience means but of course fats aren't bad for you. I'd just rather get my fats from food like avocados as opposed to any milk product as it is better for me.
      i don't sleep
    • It doesn't seem raging and I think it's a healthy conversation for this thread as two sides of veganism are being represented here. Since this is a solid way to lose weight (which is the idea of this thread) I feel like it is probably better to hear two sides of the story.

Also, disliking the discussion for the sake of it showing up on your user cp is a little silly as this is forum designed for people to add input and discuss topics... such as this one.
      i don't sleep
    • You added your input. The OP doesn't want it anymore. Therefore, if you want to discuss it, MAKE YOUR OWN THREAD.
      [CENTER]R.I.P Captain Jack Sparrow, 13/3/09[/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]You did it, beautiful.<3[/CENTER]
      formspring.me/Asperitas <- Don't be a fgt. It makes you look bad.
      [RIGHT]omygaga.tumblr.com/ <-Blog of godlike proportions.
      [/RIGHT]
    • batfeet wrote:

I just don't know why the idea needs to be attacked as this is a thread about losing weight. Which can easily be done with calisthenics and a vegan diet.

And again, I'm not saying it can't be done, but in the same way you could lose weight whilst not eating any food starting with a vowel, it's possible, but you're needlessly ommiting foods that could bbe a good supply of nutrients.

batfeet wrote:

I'm unsure what broscience means but of course fats aren't bad for you. I'd just rather get my fats from food like avocados as opposed to any milk product as it is better for me.

Saturated fat really doesn't deserve the bad rep it gets IMO.

Apologies for continuing this discussion, but I didn't feel like ending it where someone could read it and assume that one should go vegan to lose weight and that all saturated fat is the devil. Also cheers for the rep.