Salvaging/ Making High School Friendships

• Salvaging/ Making High School Friendships

I seem to have real trouble being friends with people, or people have trouble being friends and staying friends with me. Im a juinor, and going to be a senior in H.S next year, and i dont want to leave H.S without having some friendships that i can take with me into college. I do have some friends right now, but they either dont have time to talk to me, have other people they hang out with, live far away or ditch me when were supposed to hang out, all of which hurts me very much. Im trying now to focus on restarting some friendships that have fizzled out over my last 3 years in H.S, but when the stuff that i have just mentioned happens with me and my best friends, and makes me hesistent to start any friendships or care about anyone. I know that not everything is everyone elses fault...im notreally a "cool" person, and i talk alot about my problems (which i have alot of), but i feel like i need to talk about them or they make me explode inside. I also know im really clingy, although i hope that if i have alot of friends, i wont be clingy twords one so much that he/she dosent want to be my friend anymore. I guess i dont know what to do anymore, and thats why im posting today. Sometimes feel like shutting down and putting everyone out of my life, and sometimes i feel like really fighting and trying my best to make friends. I dont know what to do with myself and i hope someone here can help me with my next step in life.
    • Re: Salvaging/ Making High School Friendships

lostpariah wrote:

I seem to have real trouble being friends with people, or people have trouble being friends and staying friends with me. Im a juinor, and going to be a senior in H.S next year, and i dont want to leave H.S without having some friendships that i can take with me into college. I do have some friends right now, but they either dont have time to talk to me, have other people they hang out with, live far away or ditch me when were supposed to hang out, all of which hurts me very much. Im trying now to focus on restarting some friendships that have fizzled out over my last 3 years in H.S, but when the stuff that i have just mentioned happens with me and my best friends, and makes me hesistent to start any friendships or care about anyone. I know that not everything is everyone elses fault...im notreally a "cool" person, and i talk alot about my problems (which i have alot of), but i feel like i need to talk about them or they make me explode inside. I also know im really clingy, although i hope that if i have alot of friends, i wont be clingy twords one so much that he/she dosent want to be my friend anymore. I guess i dont know what to do anymore, and thats why im posting today. Sometimes feel like shutting down and putting everyone out of my life, and sometimes i feel like really fighting and trying my best to make friends. I dont know what to do with myself and i hope someone here can help me with my next step in life.

Hello,

It seems like you feel lonely and you feel like there is something wrong with you because you are comparing yourself with others and if you dont have as much as others you take it as "there is something wrong with me."

Some people are more social than others and thats fine. However it seems that with you, you feel a terrible lack that you must fill with people.

Your desire is to be what they desire.

It only seems that they will complete you but you will find that when you have 20 you will still feel lacking.

Why would you need so many? What will they do?

I think you are trying to cover up that which you dont like in you by replacing it with people.

We all lack something and feel fragmented and that other things will complete us or make us whole but those things we think will do that for us are just that..external objects.

I wrote this to suggest to you to explore that in you.

Take care.

Well thank you for your response...i guess you are right, although im not sure i desire to be what others desire...

Ive heard that i do compare myself with others...and to me thats a natural thing that people do and should do because how do we know what we are unless there this some sort of standard on what to base ourselves on.

I think your response is really intelligent and helpful, and i just want to ask you, or anyone else that reads this, what do i do w/ myself if i find that these things are true?

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

steve_da_man69 wrote:

you just gotta be cool dawg

easier said then done, sir, haha

Lostpariah,
      In the immortal words of Morgan Freeman "get busy living or get busy dying, that's goddamn right" One of my favorite quotes. I have a few suggestions some of which require change on your part though friendships are like marriages, they require compromise and sometimes are on the rocks. If you have problems/issues I can't really give you advice on them if I don't know what they are but that actually doesn't matter a lot for what I'm going to say. Blunt truth alert: If someone is negative all the time or constantly unhappy with everything in the world people don't want to be around you. Misery loves company, but having fun and being happy don't want to keep company with misery. So for your 'in the flesh' friends and I realize this is kind of obvious but stop. Stop complaining, stop discussing them to people who don't want to be drug down. Part of why you feel the way do is cause you think about these things all to much. I realize this can't be helped at times. Honestly though around your friends and even at home and I know a ton of people are gonna get pissed when I say this probably but the sooner you start pretending you are happy, the sooner you will be.

Your problems are very real to you obviously no matter who doesn't want to hear them though. So that is really something you need to work on and explore. I would honesty suggest things like this, forums but for your particular issue whatever it may be. Search for some forums that have the same problems so that you have a place to talk about your issues with people who will empathize and be supportive. I won't say understand cause it's not the right word every situation is different. Also I'm thinking you may suffer from what I call 'one up it syndrome' (this is not medical it's a concept and I made up the name) Which is basically if someone you are talking to says "Oh I had an awful day" instead of listening to them Your response is to say "couldn't be as bad as mine is" and launch into your own story. I know this can push a lot of people away so whoever you do talk to try not to do this sometimes you are going to have to be the strong one for someone.

Okay definitely you need friends. It will make your senior year much more fun. So a few ways to do this it seems like you have some friends that you could mend relationships with so let's start there. Plan something with them and the key is to not let them ditch. So suggest something and don't make it a 'let's meet here' tell your friends you'll pick them up. No car.. well oh well try something you think they are going to be going to anyway, football game, or well baseball since it's summer. The key here is to not keep acting like the you they want to run away from. I'm sure you have a lot of good qualities that they liked and that was why you were friends in the first place. Boys are honesty about 10 times more forgiving and accepting then girls are. Which again don't say "Oh I"m sorry I was like this" cause then it just reminds them. If it's been a while chances are they have let go of whatever was the issue in the first place.

Good Luck
      [SIGPIC]http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww267/libbyu/newyntk-12.jpg[/SIGPIC]
      http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/elisebell

The post was edited 1 time, last by EliseBell: My LLLLL Key keeps sticking, sorry for a lot of missed 'l's ().

Thank you Elise for your very thoughtful response.

I understand that noone wants to be around a miserable person. Thats obvious. Its hard to try and find a line i guess between people you talk to about problems, and people you habg out with. Maybe i need diffrent friends for those two purposes?

As far as pretending to be happy, that maks no sense to be tbh. Just like the "comparing yourself to others" thing from the person above...maybe its just a psychological problem i have..but those things are just a part of human nature in my regard...why should i pretend im happy when im obviousley not, and i expect people that know me well to see through that anyway?

Ditching is a major problem i have with all my friends...i like your ideas and ill try to put them to use.

I know that i have changes to be made, and i thank you for helping me realize them.If you or PhillyStorm see this, id really like it if you guys responded back to wht i said, youve both been really helpful...thanks again :D

Jesse,

as always, RELAX!

Sometimes in life you will have to 'fake it til you make it', as far as faking happiness goes. Nobody likes to be miserable or be around miserable-ness. (Why do you think im always smiling? haha) But you also have to find people who will be comfortable accepting who you really are; you can fake your emotions sometimes, but you should never fake who you really are. Why do you think i like hiding out in G's room? He just accepts people as is; he really doesn't care about any of that childish crap people at our school tends to obsess over so much.

As far as ditching, I like what EliseBell said about picking people up instead of arranging to meet. But also, you have to give some leeway for when people can't come. it's not always a personal thing or that they're actually ditching you; sometimes you have to allow that other things that are more important may surface. I know you've told me a friend of yours ditched you for her man, and that's not what i mean by leeway. That was rude of her to do, but at this point, you can only put this situation and other ones past you, and you can't cling to things and let them fester.

Also, i think you have a problem with problems, as ironic as that may sound. As a friend of yours, I feel that you are a bit overly-trusting and tend to wear yourself on your sleeve too much. You're not afraid to share your problems with people you trust, and that's great. However, you trust too many people with too many things. Friends are here to help carry burdens, but you must keep in mind everyone has their own things to carry, and many will crumble under the added weight of yours and others' burdens. So you have to keep a limit on how much you tell people and how many people you tell, because i myself have learned you cant trust just anyone with a secret, and certain people can't handle certain things.

Random note: i love that you used the word "fizzled". Just a thought. :)

lostpariah wrote:

Well thank you for your response...i guess you are right, although im not sure i desire to be what others desire...

Ive heard that i do compare myself with others...and to me thats a natural thing that people do and should do because how do we know what we are unless there this some sort of standard on what to base ourselves on.

I think your response is really intelligent and helpful, and i just want to ask you, or anyone else that reads this, what do i do w/ myself if i find that these things are true?

easier said then done, sir, haha

What I meant by being the others desire is being what they like. You want them to like you and be your friends, therefore that can only happen if they desire you. I must clarify that when I speak of desire it is not referring to only a passionate/erotic desire. Im mean desire you as a friend someone they want.

Yes your comparing yourself to them proves my point of your sense of lack. You compare yourself to them because you want to see how much you lack and how to try to become them in the sense that you can be whole like you see them. I agree we do tend to compere ourselves to others. Sometimes we try to see parts of us in others. But in your case you see the others as complete others and you see you as a fragmented other that is never whole and you compare you to those others to see how you can be whole like the images of the others you see.

There is nothing wrong with trying to be like someone else or have a role model, the problem only comes when we have a problem with it and it keeps repeating itself. Perhaps deep down you are trying to become existent in them. You want them to notice you and not ignore you, you are looking for them to make you alive. Or to see yourself alive when they notice you. Alive in the sense that you will feel a being when you get their gaze and find yourself.

I will like to tell you now that that which you are trying to 'fix' will not be fixed. Others are just as lacking as you are, after all its what makes us so uniquely human.

To find the things which you are looking for you cannot find it in others you can only find it by looking deep within you.

Instead of looking at the situation and trying to figure out what you lack or what you are and have, look at it and think "How can I deal with that?"

The post was edited 3 times, last by PhillyStorm ().

Well why should you pretend? The answer is cause you will be if you stop constantly telling yourself how upset and sad and unhappy you are. It's meant for you to take yourself out of the 'eyore' mindset (this is a downer donkey from winnie the pooh, lol google it if you don't know) You are spending a lot of time basically going, my life sucks. Well yes it does and if that is all you ever think about then it always will. You need to do things to break yourself out of that depression and acceptance cycle you seem to have going on. You want to make an effort but if anything happens even the slightest setback you are back at square one and throwing your hands up in resignation to just be unhappy forever again. You can't expect instant results you have to stick with it and not constantly regress and jump off cliffs so to speak when there are minor set backs. 1 step forward and 3 back will only get you deeper into the hole of self pity. It's hard to climb back out no one is saying it is easy but if you can stick with it and try to not dwell, try to pretend you are happy. I mean really do you think that if all you ever do is act depressed you'll be happy? So what is the harm in trying my way. The forced smiles turn into real ones before you even notice it. Because you're having fun instead of sitting around telling everyone how much you hate your life. Anyway, good luck to you.
      [SIGPIC]http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww267/libbyu/newyntk-12.jpg[/SIGPIC]
      http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/elisebell

The post was edited 1 time, last by EliseBell ().

Again, thank you all for your responses. I hope that you guys read this response, but i know its been a long time.

Phillystorm- I do desire people to like me and be my friend. But i dont want to become them. I guess i compare myself to people because I do think im "fragmented". I dont want to be like others, but i know im not happy with my life and i know i can have more people and things in my life,and i dont know how to fix it. Thats is why im upset.

Elisebell- I was going to respond but i see now that you account is closed. if you see this and have a new screenname, let me know, and id love to keep talking to you.

Alex- I guess i just have trouble finding that balance. I need to open up to people sometimes, but it just seems like i always push people away when i do. I dont want people to crumble under my weight and their's, but idk what to do with mine sometimes. I know now the mistake of opening up to too many people. Its just the fact that i just cant find one special person that knows me,or i cant find enough people to confide in. What really worries me is thati only have a year left, and as far as H.S goes, im running out of time :(