• Battle Of The Office Suites

What office suite do you use? 10
        Microsoft Office (10) 100%
        OpenOffice (1) 10%
        Apple iWork (1) 10%
        Other (0) 0%
      What's happenin' forum?

In the Computer and Internet forum we always have the same debates:
      Mac vs. PC, Windows vs. Linux, Facebook vs. MySpace, among others.

But one I have not come across is a productivity suite debate.
      So without further adieu, here it is:

Battle Of The Office Suites

<insert dramatic Lord Of The Rings music>

So which is it?
      Microsoft Office?
      OpenOffice?
      Apple iWork?
      Other?

Begin teh troll!!!!

Me personally, I use both OpenOffice.org 3.2 and Microsoft Office 2007.
    • Re: Battle Of The Office Suites

Oh my, OpenOffice is disgraceful. I had to use it for one of my assignments and my god, I could handle it but the fact some of the shit on it was awful.. Never ever will I use it again. I currently use Microsoft Office 2010... 2007 is good as well, since 2010 is pretty much based of it.

Se7en wrote:

Oh my, OpenOffice is disgraceful. I had to use it for one of my assignments and my god, I could handle it but the fact some of the shit on it was awful.. Never ever will I use it again. I currently use Microsoft Office 2010... 2007 is good as well, since 2010 is pretty much based of it.

OpenOffice is not that bad. OO.org Writer is just chunky and slow, and has this tendency to crash when lots of data is pasted onto a sheet. But it is good for a basic word processor. I use it for writing my novel and any creative writing. I just use Microsoft Word to do edits because the Spell and Grammar checker in Writer is not that good.
      Calc and Impress is not that great, and I prefer Powerpoint and Excel and Access.

I just hate the fact that Microsoft Office is so expensive. I mean, Apple iWork is much cheaper (and OpenOffice even cheaper :D). Plus, there is so much shit I do not need. I just need Word, Excel, and Access. I do not give a shit about Outlook and OneNote and Publisher. They are just a waste of money and hard drive space.

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Se7en wrote:

Home and Student is shit. =[

Professional = :D

Professional comes with a lot of unneeded programs. A person like me only really needs Word. Excel and Access is just for school.

Tombgeek wrote:

OpenOffice is not that bad. OO.org Writer is just chunky and slow, and has this tendency to crash when lots of data is pasted onto a sheet. But it is good for a basic word processor. I use it for writing my novel and any creative writing. I just use Microsoft Word to do edits because the Spell and Grammar checker in Writer is not that good.
      Calc and Impress is not that great, and I prefer Powerpoint and Excel and Access.

I just hate the fact that Microsoft Office is so expensive. I mean, Apple iWork is much cheaper (and OpenOffice even cheaper :D). Plus, there is so much shit I do not need. I just need Word, Excel, and Access. I do not give a shit about Outlook and OneNote and Publisher. They are just a waste of money and hard drive space.

Yeah well, who says you have to pay? Plus, if you don't have Office right now because of that very reason I suggest this... LEGIT... FREE... Office 2010, from Microsoft themselves; beta obviously BUT very good beta in my opinion, I love it.

(Use the 'Learn more about' menu to the left to define which Office you want, I advice Pro Plus, but you did just complain about applications you don't want. :p)
      Microsoft Office 2010 Beta - Free Download

Tombgeek wrote:

I just hate the fact that Microsoft Office is so expensive. I mean, Apple iWork is much cheaper (and OpenOffice even cheaper :D)

Who actually pays $300 for an office suite? I don't. lrn2torrent. ;)

Tombgeek wrote:

I do not give a shit about Outlook and OneNote and Publisher. They are just a waste of money and hard drive space.

...wat

12 MB is a waste of space? lrn2biggerharddrive :D

Se7en wrote:

Yeah well, who says you have to pay? Plus, if you don't have Office right now because of that very reason I suggest this... LEGIT... FREE... Office 2010, from Microsoft themselves; beta obviously BUT very good beta in my opinion, I love it.

(Use the 'Learn more about' menu to the left to define which Office you want, I advice Pro Plus, but you did just complain about applications you don't want. :p)
      Microsoft Office 2010 Beta - Free Download

rmg126 wrote:

Who actually pays $300 for an office suite? I don't. lrn2torrent. ;)

...wat

12 MB is a waste of space? lrn2biggerharddrive :D

Se7en wrote:

Student discount for me. ;) Only £30, not that I'd pay that anyway.

Lrn2findfreeoffersfromMicrosoft

1. I like to either download open source software, or buy it legally. I dislike using torrents, especially when dealing with proprietary software. I have a guilty conscience, and plus, there is always a risk of viruses.
      Fortunately for me, I got Office 2007 from a friend for free. So yeah!

Also, RMG, I have a 320Gb hard drive. I have enough space. But I dislike having programs I never use. It feels like clutter.
      Also, imagine what you can use with 12mb. 3 epic songs?

3 epic songs > Microsoft Outlook

2. Microsoft is giving away the Office 2010 beta for free? O.O
      Oh, but I have Office 2007 already. No need.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tomb ().

Tombgeek wrote:

1. I like to either download open source software, or buy it legally. I dislike using torrents, especially when dealing with proprietary software. I have a guilty conscience, and plus, there is always a risk of viruses.
      Fortunately for me, I got Office 2007 from a friend for free. So yeah!

Also, RMG, I have a 320Gb hard drive. I have enough space. But I dislike having programs I never use. It feels like clutter.
      Also, imagine what you can use with 12mb. 3 epic songs?

3 epic songs > Microsoft Outlook

2. Microsoft is giving away the Office 2010 beta for free? O.O
      Oh, but I have Office 2007 already. No need.

Piracy is just another way to live, it's like... Cheating in a game, its oh so wrong and not cool, but it feels so damn good. (Well, for others it does anyway. I dislike cheating).

Also, I'm pretty sure you can customise the installation of Office; can't remember to be honest as I just straight install the full thing. And I thank Outlook being there, it covered my broken WLM client while it was down. But now I have WLM working again, screw Outlook; though it does work well.

And 2010 is a must, a need, a want, a pleasure, its good shit.

Se7en wrote:

Piracy is just another way to live, it's like... Cheating in a game, its oh so wrong and not cool, but it feels so damn good. (Well, for others it does anyway. I dislike cheating).

Also, I'm pretty sure you can customise the installation of Office; can't remember to be honest as I just straight install the full thing. And I thank Outlook being there, it covered my broken WLM client while it was down. But now I have WLM working again, screw Outlook; though it does work well.

And 2010 is a must, a need, a want, a pleasure, its good shit.

Yeah, I also have that habit. I am not in the mood to uninstall Office and select the programs I want. It is anyway pointless, because I rarely go on my Windows partition except to use Delphi 7, Office, or play whatever game I have installed.

Okay, well, if you enjoy Office 2010, then enjoy it. I just don't see a need to waste my internet cap on something that does the exact same thing as something I already have installed.

Plus, I never use E-Mail clients. I just log onto Gmail and Yahoo!

Se7en wrote:

I've been using Office 2010 longer than you.
      I give cam shows every now and then, but I MUST know you and be comfortable with you before I will do them for you! If interested, contact me and get to know me!

aTc wrote:

I use notepad.exe for all of my typing needs.

I actually use Notepad++ for editing text files over 25MB since Wordpad is retarded and wouldn't allow me to edit those large text files. I could not believe how much better Notepad++ is over Wordpad but Wordpad hasn't really been updated ever.
      I give cam shows every now and then, but I MUST know you and be comfortable with you before I will do them for you! If interested, contact me and get to know me!

aTc wrote:

back in my somewhat-nerd days, I used Notepad++ for editing alot of files, like C and C++. It made it easier, as it shows line by line.

That's why I love Notepad++. Since I can find the exact line the problem is happening on.