Meeting new friends?

• Meeting new friends?

I'm 21 and in college, if that helps at all. Basically once highschool was done which was atleast a couple of years ago everybody kind of seperated and so many friends moved away because I live in a small city and basically everyone wants to get out as soon as possible. I'm in College but after the first year or so a lot of people failed and kind of dropped out which were my closest friends of the class and ofcourse after a while we slowly drifted apart yet again. I am moving sometime soon and I was just wondering what are some good places to meet people or how to make a new group of friends. Making friends is fairly easy for me but going up to people and starting a conversation out of thin air.. not so much.

So any advice would be appreciated =P
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]I want to be fluent in your body language.[/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by SweetTemptations ().

• Re: Meeting new friends?

You know what? This is a problem I've posed to myself. I want to meet new people...how do I do that? I've never been able to figure it out, so I'm just going to do it here and now. So let me think...

One way that came to my mind was finding a situation where you know something about another person, something that you have a common interest in. This could be at any sort of club or gathering for a hobby, like I don't know, fishing, tennis, even cooking. You know what you're interested in, I don't :). That way, you already know something about the people there, and you can use that to think of a good way to start up a conversation. Example. Today, after my english comp 2 class let out, we were told there was an art exhibit in the exhibition hall, so some of the people from my class went in. I started talking to this girl about the incredible art that was in there. I definitely think we could be friends! So now I have something to work off of if I want to talk to her again. Situations like that are what I'm talking about, where you already know something about a person simply because of where they are.

Also, I've found that classes are a good place to look. Especially classes that have to deal with your major, because more than likely you know a little bit about it. For me at least, my major is always the point of a lot of conversations, my major being psychology. Now, I have it easy because psychology is something everyone can relate to, and something that everyone has their own theories about. But this could work with just about anything.

Or just take the plunge and start up a conversation out of thin air. But in this case, also try to learn something about someone just from observation. It definitely make things a lot easier. And sometimes the only way to get over a fear is to just do it.

Wow, what a rant. I hope this helps you in some way, I do. :)

Good luck on meeting new people! I know I need to.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Poo-tee-weet? ().