"Hunting is cruel"

• "Hunting is cruel"

I posted in the "People you hate" topic that I disliked people who think hunting is wrong and yet still eat meat. It got some people talking I guess, but instead of continuing off-topic there, I thought I'd take it here...

I think hunting is wrong and cruel, but I still eat meat.

It's one thing to consume an animal to survive, even if it's purchasing it at the grocery store, and another to go out into the wilderness and kill something for fun. And don't come back with "We eat it, too!" Go back into the grocery store and buy something that has already been killed, so it doesn't get wasted.

((Sorry, I can't remember who posted this, I just copied and pasted it.))

I won't deny hunting is fun (I think it's a different kind of "fun" though, not like the fun you have when you're partying or at a concert or what have you), it's much more than that.

I just don't understand how someone could think it's wrong and cruel to go out and kill an animal, but still contribute to the slaughter of countless others by buying meat at the grocery store. It's in the store because there's demand for it. If you didn't buy it, there'd be less demand for it, and as a result less would have to be killed. If you don't buy it, it's not "wasted", you're just contributing to demand.
    • Re: "Hunting is cruel"

That would be the one and only DamnImGood you quoted. :bow:

I don't hunt, but not because I think it's wrong, I just don't have any use for wild game. I don't eat duck, or deer, or turkey, or pheasant, or whatever...so I don't.

Actually, I disagree with the whole "demand" thing. It's the same principle that applies to using reusable shopping bags instead of taking the plastic ones supplied by the store. You may not use the bags, but the next person in line behind you at the checkout will. The plastic bag has already been made, and will end up in the trash somewhere and go to a landfill. And, you may not buy that steak, but someone else will. The cow has already been killed. It's not like the grocery store keeps cows in the backroom and kills one each time someone wants to buy a steak.

Furthermore, as Homo sapiens sapiens, we happen to be at the top of one of many food chains. It isn't any more "cruel" for a human to kill and eat a cow than it is for a shark to eat a seal, or a bird to eat a worm, or a fish to eat a shrimp. It's how the world works, and evolution in action. If you don't like that, QQ moar and lrn2becomeacyborgorrobot.

Just as a side note, I do prefer to buy the natural "cage free" eggs, simply because they taste better. I don't particularly care about chickens being in cages...they're chickens. I think as humans we should be more concerned about our fellow humans who are dying in wars right now.

The post was edited 2 times, last by xyz123456 ().

I agree with David, only good not eating meat would do is if a mass of people boycotted it, until then, starve yourself. my second argument is, If we didn't eat them they would get eatin in the wild, so we might as well benefit from it. I am not against hunting, but I am against hunting as a sport.
      [FONT="System"][SIZE="4"]I find it funny that thing that built me up,
      is the same thing that broke me down.[/SIZE][/FONT]

rmg126 wrote:

That would be the one and only DamnImGood you quoted. :bow:

I don't hunt, but not because I think it's wrong, I just don't have any use for wild game. I don't eat duck, or deer, or turkey, or pheasant, or whatever...so I don't.

Merci!
      And, wild game is 1000x more delicious than beef, chicken, or pork... but that could just be totally psychological. :D Haha.

Actually, I disagree with the whole "demand" thing. It's the same principle that applies to using reusable shopping bags instead of taking the plastic ones supplied by the store. You may not use the bags, but the next person in line behind you at the checkout will. The plastic bag has already been made, and will end up in the trash somewhere and go to a landfill. And, you may not buy that steak, but someone else will. The cow has already been killed. It's not like the grocery store keeps cows in the backroom and kills one each time someone wants to buy a steak.

So, one person can't change the world?

No, you may not make much of an impact by not buying meat, I totally acknowledge that, but buy buying it you do increase demand, however little. If you, for example, use reuseable bags, or don't buy meat, for an entire year, that is a lot of shopping bags and meat.
      I don't know exactly how much meat the average person consumes in a year, but the numbers wouldn't be hard to find (I do know, however, that it has increased significantly in the past few decades). If everyone cut their meat consumption in half, that'd be a tremendous amount. Too much meat is bad for you, anyway.
      (I'm not advocating this, and I know it's probably unrealistic, just trying to make a point.)

Your point is also a good argument for what I was quoting in the first place; by not buying that steak, it isn't wasted either - someone else will buy it.

Just as a side note, I do prefer to buy the natural "cage free" eggs, simply because they taste better. I don't particularly care about chickens being in cages...they're chickens. I think as humans we should be more concerned about our fellow humans who are dying in wars right now.

Agreed. And omg, "farm eggs" (as I call them haha) are so good. My friend has three chickens that just wander around and eat whatever the hell the want and their eggs are amazing. I hate those chickens, but I can't deny their usefullness. :p

DREAM3R wrote:

I am not against hunting, but I am against hunting as a sport.

I see this stance a lot. I'm inclined to agree, and I think most people do (including many hunters themselves), but I don't think it's really a thing you can regulate. But it is the law in some places now that you must take a doe before you can take a buck, and many people stop at the doe because that's enough meat for them. :)
      That's not to prevent "sport hunting" though, it's just a more effective method of population control.

I disagree with killing for sport simply because I disagree with wasting.

In terms of meat source, if you look at which is ultimately better for the animal, getting a gun shot to the head after living a wild life is superior to living a contained life and then being stunned and having your throat slit open. Unfortunately our population size and space limitation does not allow for such a system.
      "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical no one will believe in it"-Bertrand Russell

I am confused. You tell us to stop eating meat because we are contributing to the murder of animals? If it is inevitable these animals will be murdered, why do you not simply stop hunting? You are the one killing wild animals for sport.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Yoboseyo?
      [/CENTER]

Hunting is the complete opposite of being cruel. It's either that or have the animals starve themselves to death over a few weeks because they deplenish all food sources and they have little or no natural predators like wolves.
      I give cam shows every now and then, but I MUST know you and be comfortable with you before I will do them for you! If interested, contact me and get to know me!

i don't have an issue with animals being killed for food. sure it is sad we have to take a life from something else so we can live ours, but as someone else said, whether we eat it or not.. something else will. you could argue that it's instinct for animals to kill one another but it's also our instinct as humans too.. we've been hunting animals since the beginning of time.

however, i'm not exactly in favour of the hunting for sport aspect. if people are going to kill animals we should be eating them!
      [SIZE=3][SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE]
      [/SIZE]

Zen wrote:

I am confused. You tell us to stop eating meat because we are contributing to the murder of animals? If it is inevitable these animals will be murdered, why do you not simply stop hunting? You are the one killing wild animals for sport.

Whether you eat meat or not is totally up to you. I'm not opposed to it. But some hate the idea of hunting because they think killing animals is wrong, yet still eat animals that have conveniently killed for them.

Zen wrote:

And you have proof that the majority of animals starve to death because of a lack of hunting?

I highly doubt animals would stave if we stopped hunting them, but they would undoubtedly need to extend their search for food and end up getting into and eating a lot what is grown for us. Farmers have a rough enough time as it is.

Hunting isn't so much about being nice to each individual animal - it's about the conservation of entire ecosystems.

Kaitlin wrote:

however, i'm not exactly in favour of the hunting for sport aspect. if people are going to kill animals we should be eating them!

I see a lot of "hunting for sport" comments. I agree that it's wrong too, but even those who hunt for trophies or just for fun still eat meat. It'd be rare to find a hunter who doesn't eat what he kills. And if he didn't, he'd generally be frowned upon by other hunters.

Scaredycrow wrote:

Whether you eat meat or not is totally up to you. I'm not opposed to it. But some hate the idea of hunting because they think killing animals is wrong, yet still eat animals that have conveniently killed for them.

I think killing things is wrong. I eat meat because the meat is provided for me. Humans wanting to eat meat does not justify pointless killing.

Scaredycrow wrote:

I highly doubt animals would stave if we stopped hunting them, but they would undoubtedly need to extend their search for food and end up getting into and eating a lot what is grown for us. Farmers have a rough enough time as it is.

Hunting isn't so much about being nice to each individual animal - it's about the conservation of entire ecosystems.

Hunting isn't necessary to control animal populations. The ecosystems were balanced fine before we interfered. If you're justifying killing them because they might get into some of our food, people can justify them killing you because you're getting into theirs.
      Yoboseyo?
      [/CENTER]

I am completely against hunting, and don't eat any meat myself, but I can see where they're coming from.

I can understand people eating meat, you need to eat to survive, and if meat is what you choose to eat, or what you need to eat, then that's fair enough. I'm not going to stop anyone from eating meat. I choose not to myself, but that doesn't mean other people can't.

Hunting, on the other hand, if just for sport, is disgusting. It's one thing to have an animal killed for you to eat and survive, but it's another altogether to take pleasure from the actual act of hunting down and killing the creature, especially if that's all you get from it.

On that matter, I have to say I'm completely opposed to fur, leather, etc. too. Enough so that I regularly protest against it in my city centre. I haven't actually been to a protest in a while, but there was a point a couple of years ago where I would go every week. It's just sick and wrong to wear another animal's skin. Would you like it if you saw someone walking around in human skin? Do you go out, kill other people, and then use their hair to make a coat? It's just gross, and I don't understand why people feel the need to do it.

Aannddyy on msn wrote:

hye, i jstu red ur post in the dibates and diskushon bord lol
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

DamnImGood;1062835947 wrote:

I'm definitely an idiot.

[/CENTER]

RollinRightInuit wrote:

On that matter, I have to say I'm completely opposed to fur, leather, etc. too. Enough so that I regularly protest against it in my city centre. I haven't actually been to a protest in a while, but there was a point a couple of years ago where I would go every week. It's just sick and wrong to wear another animal's skin. Would you like it if you saw someone walking around in human skin? Do you go out, kill other people, and then use their hair to make a coat? It's just gross, and I don't understand why people feel the need to do it.

Well, if human skin made a higher quality saddle I'd buy it (assuming the price is reasonable and it was legal). I just can't imagine it would be as good as leather though because of the grain and thickness. Although personally I prefer calf skin to regular leather. I don't think I'd particularly mind people walking around in human skin wearing hair etc. as long as the process to obtain it was legal. Why would 'grossness' be a factor here?
      "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical no one will believe in it"-Bertrand Russell

The post was edited 3 times, last by isitso ().