Philosophical discussion: Fun vs. Ambition

• Philosophical discussion: Fun vs. Ambition

So, I've come here today to beg a question to all of you: What do you do with your time and does your allocation of priorities lie within your ambitious beliefs?

To give some context to this topic, I'm going to briefly outline my relevant story of late:
      I have spent a lot of my life enjoying myself. I have, and still do, invested a large portion of my life into stimulating myself with video games and ergo, as a result, I have very little knowledge in many key areas that I should relative to my age and the functioning majority categorised into 'normality'.
      In earlier days my diminished IQ always caused me to struggled in social situations and, naturally, I thus lacked friends. This was also followed by bullying on an expected scale, nothing immensely detrimental in itself. My following years involved a heavy investment of both time and determination in reproducing myself to be attractive - not only to reduce potential bullying, but to both earn the respect of my peers and make friends. Although this still sounds stock-standard, the extraneous variable that wasn't present in the many tales you and I have both heard was not just my passion for video games, but a competitive stride I'd somehow adapted from numerous reference points. This unintentionally created a superiority-complex developed from the constant notion of inferiority regardless of my, or what most would consider objective, state. As a repercussion, I lacked the ability to judge myself realistically for a long time since I'd formed a large part of my identity on my judgemental appreciation and idolisation of others, from observation of arts, of sports, of games (such as chess and, if you've ever heard of it, Starcraft), and varying cultural approaches to both life and everything specifically listed. To some extent nothing has changed as my education could easily be regarded as bleak regardless of my countless opportunities to change this constant.

I am a student. I tried myself at a Classical Arts degree but left after 1 years worth of training given the tuition was free thus lost nothing except time and I foresaw hard times due to the nature of the path and my "lack of talent". Loving music, I moved into Audio Engineering naively hoping my only field of expertise given my broad experience in music, which I developed through accommodating for many genres and instruments, would carry me further than my competition - being others with a weak education and a diluted sense of where their ambitions lie. Audio Engineering is my current path of endeavour, but it too faces the same issues as the last chapter. I currently spend half my time watching Japanese cartoons and playing video games, and the other half practising both my piano and guitar - none of these will ever be recognised by the light that shines on the society I habituate. So, what do you think is the point?

Too Long; Didn't Read: Too much time gaming, or was it? A lot was learnt and it potentially saved me from depression.

Assuming the pre-tenths of this background story, I've given a lot of thought - from both an subjective and objective perspective - to what was important in my past; what is important right now; what is important for my future, and three solid points stick out:
      -Enjoy myself whilst I can and face the music when it dies in my reality. Heck, I could potentially become popular in the professional community of selected computer games. Isn't that splendid?
      -Study up. There's still hope. If you work hard you can achieve the person you idolise and mark a professional achievement that your neighbour may respect. If you're lucky.
      -Get real. You don't have the potential to achieve anything more than that dog from down the road that roams the street dodging cars (what am I saying, that's dog's an inspiration to us all), so start working your way up the food-chain from the bottom and you may one day earn enough to embellish your presence to more than your belly.

My philosophical, and somewhat ambiguous, question truly lies in what everyone deems important. I have outlined my current situation and thoughts for the sake of context and depth, however the only relevant reference is my time spent on gaming rather than a constructive endeavour such as learning a language, improving your English, learning to draw or simply catching up with social contacts.
      In other words: What do you subjectively think is important when utilising your time?

The post was edited 10 times, last by RocketSwan ().

• Re: Philosophical discussion: Fun vs. Ambition

The most important thing, in my opinion, is that regardless of what you do, you do it to your greatest capacity and pay attention the whole time. When you let your mind drift from the task you aren't focusing or learning, and thus doing a half-assed job.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Yoboseyo?
      [/CENTER]