Could this be the reason my computer doesn't always boot properly?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Could this be the reason my computer doesn't always boot properly?

Hi, I had some computer issues, a tech guy insisted the problem was the hard drive(but recently I found out he is a scammer, and doesn't know shit, so I shall be collecting what I paid him soon) I replaced my hard drive in decemeber and the problem kept going, sometimes I have the problem sometimes I don't, it's very random.

So today I got it again, what happens is, the fans come on at max speed, but the computer doesn't boot, I hear no beeps, nothing except the fans.
      So whilst it was trying to boot, I opened it up and noticed my DVD drive cable was loose, I fiddled with it, and dun dunn dunnnn it booted, could a badly plugged in DVD drive cable keep my PC from booting correctly?

I removed a floppy disk drive from another computer to check, and it didn't boot...

So did I finally figure what was wrong?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dexter. ().

• Re: Could this be the reason my computer doesn't always boot properly?

Probably something to do with the boot order. Your computer will be looking for a dvd drive that's not connected to boot before the HDD. One of my friends had this problem when they removed their floppy drive, they had to change the boot order
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]
    • Re: Could this be the reason my computer doesn't always boot properly?

Bazinga! wrote:

Probably something to do with the boot order. Your computer will be looking for a dvd drive that's not connected to boot before the HDD. One of my friends had this problem when they removed their floppy drive, they had to change the boot order

Yup, Bazinga's right. Your BIOS is probably set to boot your DVD drive before your HDD.
      It's happened to me once.
      I'd set the BIOS to boot the HDD first if I were you.