Socialization in university

• Socialization in university

Hello
      So I am writing today because it is Friday night, Halloween weekend, and I am locked inside my dorm room. The entire residence is blasting music, getting drunk and I am locked inside my dorm for the second day in a row.
      I moved to Toronto from Calgary, Alberta last year for my first year of University. I moved straight into a room that was being rented out in an apartment, and not into residence at my university. I learnt over the year the value of my friends in Calgary and I feel that not having them with me in Toronto really strengthened my relationships, and I had a blast seeing all of my friends for a month over xmas and four months this past summer.
      I value my friends because I have had an extremely difficult time finding social support here in Toronto.
      Basically the only reliable way of meeting people that I discovered was internet dating, which I never thought I would do
      This year I tried to do things differently.
      I moved into an alternative residence off campus- a student co op- that unfortunately doesnt host many 'social' events or foster socializing.
      I joined a bball team, but my teammates are all a lot older than me, very competitive and I'm the worst player on the team
      I joined a club at school but can't seem to make friends that way
      I got a job but again friends at work are only friends within the workplace so far

All of that being said I do have a couple of good friends, and a boyfriend of a couple of months who I met online last year but I do not want to tax those relationships and I think it's important to have a wide circle of friends
      I don't know what to do
    • Re: Socialization in university

Hey, yes my uni has a student union. In Canada student unions deal more with student issues, petition for students financial issues, act as student activists for 'student justice' within the uni and infront of the uni...
      Not really a club. Not really sure what you're getting at here.