Jerks for friends.

• Jerks for friends.

Basically most of my friends are really.. immature. They tend to be self-centred pricks when I think about it, previously my view of them has been obscure because they're supposed to be friends you know? They're needy, moany, and think they're God's on Earth. I have one or two friends that aren't like this but we're not that close.

I feel like I've become very close to a couple of people when I was young, and now they've become horrible young adults. What do I do? It's really starting to piss me off because I have to spend time with them, and everytime I do I want to punch them for being so.. stupid all the time! It doesn't do much for my self-esteem either, always being shunned and put down, because they're obviously so much better than me! -_- Help?!
    • Re: Jerks for friends.

Well, I think you already know what the root of the problem is, even if you don't know you know it. I went through the same thing at one point too, I think everyone does. The issue is that when you are younger, you had the same interested and same general behaviors as these other guys do. Now that you are getting older, your paths are starting to diverge. You seem to already understand this - you remain friends with them because you are supposed to be friends with them. Yet I think you would agree that if you met these guys at this particular point in your life, you wouldn't end up being friends with them, just because you don't share as much in common as you once did.

I'm not saying you should just drop them and move on, but it's not a bad idea to start expanding your horizons... spending more time with different people that you have common interests with.

Firstly, re-assess whether you want to be mates with these people, no point sticking in there if you're unhappy or annoyed.
      And I know people who have the god-complex problem, who think they are badass, so talking to them about it won't work, as they feel they're so high and mighty.

I suggest just ignoringit.So if one of them starts being immature or whatever, just blank them, stare off into space, chances are they'll only keep doing it if they see somebody notices.

OR

join them ? as odd as it sounds, and I doubt you'll do this as you seem like a young man with intgrity, but maybe hop onto their level and try and push them down for a bit, you can be god, and they can be demi-gods ?

No matter what you choose to do, hope it goes well for you bro:)
      x
      [RIGHT][SIZE=3]we each owe a death, [/SIZE][SIZE=3]there are no exceptions ,[/SIZE][SIZE=3]but sometimes, oh god, [/SIZE][/RIGHT]
      [RIGHT][SIZE=3]the green mile seems so long.[/SIZE][/RIGHT]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You by no means are required to be friends with them. People change and they grow (some grow in different directions or in different intervals, of course), and they grow apart.

Maybe, based on what you've said, it's time to move on. It could be rough, but it might be best.

If you continually surround yourself with people you've grown to dislike, you'll never have time or room to surround yourself with other people. People who may be more mature and less self-centered.
      [SIZE=4]~Jen[/SIZE] :hugs:

As has been said, you don't have to be friends with them. My best friend from elementary school is no longer my best friend, and my best friend from middle school is no longer a friend at all really. We grew apart over the years, and that's expected. You know how they always say who you are in high school doesn't matter? Well that's because we all change as we grow into adults.

Meeting new people can be hard, but not if you know an angle you can do it at. You say you have one or two friends who aren't like the bunch you don't like right? Well, try hanging out with them more. You already know them, so just put a little more effort into spending time with them. Sit at their lunch table, ask them to hang out somewhere. From there, you'll meet their friends, who hopefully are like them. If you have things in common with these people, hey look, you've met some new people you can become friends with.

But overall moving on seems to be the smartest thing to do. You've grown up, they haven't, and that's fine. But you should really find some people more like you so they don't bring you down, and you can be with people you enjoy spending time with.
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]"Adapt and Overcome"[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [RIGHT]"Funny how the truth sounds so cliche"[/RIGHT]
      [RIGHT]~Jack Ingram[/RIGHT]
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=1][/SIZE][/CENTER]