Father on death bed...

• Father on death bed...

Well i'm a senior in highschool, haven't seen my dad since beginning of freshman year. And now my grandmother on my fathers side called my mom. Hes on his death bed. He had a heart attack, and is being fed by a tube and all this shit i'm not sure if that means its bad but my mother says it is.

She wants me to go see him, i haven't seen him throughout my 4 years of growing up into the man i am today. I missed him the whole time, replacing him with coaches, teaches, and bestfriends father. I lived with my dad from 7th - beginning of 9th grade and then moved back with my mother. He was apparently a big pill popper junkie he just hid it very well. and it caught up to him, i have mixed feelings. I went from being angry to crying to not caring.

I'm not sure what to do and which would be worse seeing him die or not seeing him die and regretting it or if i would.

This was us before I left:

Thats 8th grade with my scronny self and my father. He was caring, if u look under his neck he has me my sister and brothers names tattooed and he loved me but he was a bad father all the other times.

I dont know what to do....
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [/CENTER]
    • Re: Father on death bed...

If I were in your shoes, I would go see him. But at the same time I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. A lot of people are put off at the thought of seeing someone they care about laying in a bed completely helpless as they die. That's not how you want to remember anyone. But then again, if you don't go, you may end up regretting it. You could regret that you weren't there for him in his last moments. Just depends on how you look at it. It's solely your decision and your mother or grandmother should have no weight on the decision you make.

My mom died a little over a year ago, and even when you have a parent go on good terms, you are still wracked with guilt over all the things you didn't say that you should have, or did say that you shouldn't have. Even if you don't want to see him, even if it's the last thing in the world you want to do right now, I suggest you suck it up and go to him. Maybe he's going to be just fine, or maybe he isn't. The point is that if he does die, you are never going to have another chance to talk to him, and it's better to have one uncomfortable hour than a lifetime of regretting that you didn't use the chance when you had it.

He's your father. He's dying. Sure, he may have hurt you, but be the bigger person here. Put that pain aside and be a man like you say you've become. One thing I do is I regret everything, so something I do before making a choice is think "Will I regret this?" So tell me, when you're older, have children, will you be happy with the decision you made to not say goodbye to someone who loved you...to your own father?

This kind of reminds me of a song, The Measure of a Man by Jack Ingram
      It's a bit different in the story, possibly only connected because it's about a father and son being apart from each other and the son going back because he knows it's right, but it's got the message of "Even if you and your dad don't see eye to eye, or if one of you hurt each other, when something important like this happens, you need to swallow your pride and do what you know needs to be done.
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]"Adapt and Overcome"[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [RIGHT]"Funny how the truth sounds so cliche"[/RIGHT]
      [RIGHT]~Jack Ingram[/RIGHT]
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=1][/SIZE][/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Trillium ().

We don't really know how is the situation look, You don't even know this. This was a problem between your parents. And so it should be. Whatever you feel to father you should go to him, be better and make him a pleasure to. You are older, show him that more stronger. Not only he would be proud of you - You would be proud of yourself. This is a meaning of mankind- forgive. I wish you seize the opportunity. My father die when I was 2years old. I didn't have chance like you.

I am very sorry that your father is soo ill. And I do hope he will be able to pull through and be healthy. It is ofcourse your choice on whether to go see him or not. I think if it was me I would go and see him, as Jenna said, is it better to have one or two hours of discomfort or a lifetime of wonder and regret. He is your father after all, even if he was not the best father to you I feel he still deserves the chance to say goodbye to his son. I think you should look at this from the position if you were in his shoes. Like if it was you, wouldn't you want to see your son one last time to tell him that you love him?? Maybe seeing you can be the one thing that might make him pass from this life in peace. Now no person can make this decision for you, I think if you do not go, no one would blame you, but when you look back on your life in 50 years time don't you want to be able to say that you did everything you could to make things right with him. I hope you can make a decision that you will not regret yourself. Best of luck man.

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Tmac73 wrote:

I went and saw him. Decided to, he had open heart surgery and other shit done but hes doing good. And me and him made up, he apologized and promised to make up for what he did and gave me his cell number to keep in touch

Thats really good mate, I am glad he pulled through, I hope he is healthy for a long time yet. Its very good that ye made up, with any luck you two can have a very fufilling father/son relationship together.
      People think the Irish are a bunch of drunks and brawlers, and that makes us soo mad sometimes that we just want to get drunk and punch somebody.