Should electric cigarettes be used instead of real cigarettes?

• Should electric cigarettes be used instead of real cigarettes?

Electric cigarettes (or e-cigs) are on the rise and many people and organizations have taken notice. There is a large debate over whether they are a safe and effective smoking cessation device.

An e-cigarette, if you don't know, is a smoking device that looks almost the same as a real cigarette. It behaves similarly to a cigarette in that the user can take a drag and inhale water vapor that tastes like smoke. While there are no carcinogens in the e-cig, the user is given a dose of nicotine with each drag. However, many medical professionals have said that while nicotine is addictive, it is safe in moderated amounts and can be harmful in large amounts, similar to caffeine.

The electric cigarette consists of three parts: the battery, the atomizer, and the cartridge. The battery, of course, runs the device, and is usually only activated when it senses air flow through the device, meaning the user is taking a drag. The cartridge serves as the mouthpiece and is where the water and nicotine mixture (or "e-juice") is stored. Between the cartridge and battery is the atomizer. The atomizer heats the e-juice when the battery is activated, converting the juice into water vapor that tastes like tobacco.

Because the e-cigarette satisfies both the psychological and physical addictions of smoking, unlike nicotine patches or gum which satisfy the physical addiction, many smokers are finding it to be an extremely useful smoking cessation device. Yet the FDA is fighting many electric cigarette companies, saying the e-cigarette is a smoking cessation device and therefore must be approved and regulated. However, every e-cig company says that the purpose of its devices are to provide a smoking alternative, not guaranteed smoking cessation. Because of this, more than one court has ruled that the FDA cannot regulate e-cigs, yet the FDA is still spontaneously seizing shipments of e-cigs.

So what do you think? Should e-cigarettes be unregulated by the FDA and openly sold as a smoking alternative? Do you think this could be beneficial to the general smoking population?

Find out more about electric cigarettes at E-Cig Me.
    Golden Enterprises, Inc. - CEO
    Iconiplex, LLC - Managing Member
    Emerald Summit Capital Group, LLC - President

The post was edited 1 time, last by artizhay ().

• Re: Should electric cigarettes be used instead of real cigarettes?

I don't necessarily think they should be unregulated. I just think they should be approved by the FDA. It seems to me the FDA has interest in these... devices, because they contain nicotine, which is a drug, and therefore falls under the FDA's purview. My logic is as follows: if cigarettes are approved, then e-cigarettes sure as hell should be, too.
    "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
    - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.

I think this is a good idea. It could gradually help people to stop smoking. The patches and gum are terrible. My friend started using the patches and they made her arm turn purple and swell :s. There are already inhaler type "cigarettes" available for people who want to quit so I think this is basically the same idea. I don't see a problem with it.
    This thread makes me want a cigarette now though :P.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="4"]<3[/SIZE][/CENTER]

DamnImGood wrote:

I don't necessarily think they should be unregulated. I just think they should be approved by the FDA. It seems to me the FDA has interest in these... devices, because they contain nicotine, which is a drug, and therefore falls under the FDA's purview. My logic is as follows: if cigarettes are approved, then e-cigarettes sure as hell should be, too.

The "nicotine delivery system" aspect of the e-cigs is why the FDA is fighting to regulate them, but currently they are not able to yet keep seizing shipments in defiance of court ruling.

Ne0 wrote:

I support e-cigs 100%.
    I'd get one, if they only sold it here. Oh well :/

The site at ecigme.com/ has trials for $9.95.

Haha, I had this idea when I was 11.

Seriously, I thought a really good invention would be a fake electronic cigarette that would still provide the experience of smoke and nicotine, although I was thinking of it more from an 11 year old perspective that it would mean you could be in with the cool kids who smoked.

Still, nice to see I was a child with a pioneering mind.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

And I don't see why e-cigarettes are any different to normal ones, besides not killing people.
    [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
    [/RIGHT]
    [/CENTER]

Esmo wrote:

Haha, I had this idea when I was 11.

Seriously, I thought a really good invention would be a fake electronic cigarette that would still provide the experience of smoke and nicotine, although I was thinking of it more from an 11 year old perspective that it would mean you could be in with the cool kids who smoked.

Still, nice to see I was a child with a pioneering mind.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

And I don't see why e-cigarettes are any different to normal ones, besides not killing people.

The main difference between real cigarettes and e-cigarettes is that the electronics don't produce any smoke. So it's safe for the smoker and the people around them because the smoker isn't filling his lungs with smoke and no one has to breathe second-hand smoke. So besides containing nicotine, depending on your view of the safeness of nicotine intake, they are safe to use.

A big controversy around these, however, is that people are using them in public places where smoking is banned. Because "seeing is believing" and the physical smoke-like qualities of the e-cigarette vapor, people assume that it's unsafe or that it is really smoke.

artizhay wrote:

The "nicotine delivery system" aspect of the e-cigs is why the FDA is fighting to regulate them, but currently they are not able to yet keep seizing shipments in defiance of court ruling.

I don't see why the FDA shouldn't be allowed to regulate them then. If it contains nicotine then it contains a drug.

artizhay wrote:

A big controversy around these, however, is that people are using them in public places where smoking is banned. Because "seeing is believing" and the physical smoke-like qualities of the e-cigarette vapor, people assume that it's unsafe or that it is really smoke.

Simple solution to that problem: colour them differently. Make them bright pink or something. Just like toy guns in Canada (and I assume elsewhere) require a bright red/pink attachment to the end of the barrel to indicate they're toys.
    "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
    - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.

I have an idea...kind of like Nicorette.

Nicostick...just smoke one to take off the edge of not smoking.

But seriously...smoking is just stupid.
    [SIZE=4][SIZE=3]They see me trollin'...they hatin'... Moderatin'...Tryna catch me writin dirty.[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]