OH MY GOD IE9 IS OUT caps

• OH MY GOD IE9 IS OUT caps

As of midnight tonight, GMT - 5, Microsoft will start pushing IE9 via Windows Update. Who's as pumped as I am? I've been waiting for this moment since IE1 came out.

Congratulations, Microsoft, you've finally realized the Internet matters. Unfortunately in the process you forgot you have four competitors who are still much better. Except Safari.

If I wasn't trying to watch my beer intake I'd be drunk by now.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.
    • Re: OH MY GOD IE9 IS OUT caps

UAIOE wrote:

:D

Nah...it's pretty exciting I gotta say. MS is actually trying now, which is a welcome change! ^^

Apparently it beats Chrome in SunSpider benchmarks. :o

aTc wrote:

tl;dr, what's the difference between IE8 and IE9?
      Is it worth connecting to MS and downloading as an update, only to be never used again?

Huge difference. The two main differences are speed (performance) and standards-compliance. To be fair, if you never use IE then it's not really that exciting. It's only exciting to me because I do web development work and I'd say at least half my development time is spent on making sure shit works in IE.

Kevin wrote:

It's out now; you can download it.
      Internet Explorer - Microsoft Windows

Fuckin' downloading now.

Protip for anyone using 64-bit Windows: Use the 32-bit version of the browser (it's default anyway); only the 32-bit version has the new JavaScript engine (lolmicrosoft).

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Haha wow, half the shit on this page is a lie or just plain wrong. My favourite section is the standards and compatibility section.

Compare browsers to Internet Explorer 9 - Microsoft Windows

Microsoft never ceases to amaze me.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

DamnImGood wrote:

Protip for anyone using 64-bit Windows: Use the 32-bit version of the browser (it's default anyway); only the 32-bit version has the new JavaScript engine (lolmicrosoft).

For clarification: If you're running x64 Windows you still have to use the x64 installer, it just installs both versions and uses the 32-bit by default.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

So I immediately checked my client's website with IE9. Apparently IE9 has issues with Lightbox. I've checked it on another website that my company has worked on and it has issues, too, though a third website worked fine. I'll have to look into that.

In more exciting news, I ran the SunSpider benchmark on all five browsers, and came up with some interesting results. Here are the five browsers, ranked fastest to slowest (smaller numbers mean better, for those who can't tell):

1. Internet Explorer 9 286.9
      2. Opera 11.01 304.6
      3. Chrome 10 325.7
      4. Safari 5.0.4 400.8
      5. Firefox 3.6.15 955.2 LOLWUT

For the record I disabled all my add-ons for Firefox and restarted the browser before starting the test. No other browsers have any add-ons.

inb4alexander
      - George Carlin

DamnImGood wrote:

So I immediately checked my client's website with IE9. Apparently IE9 has issues with Lightbox. I've checked it on another website that my company has worked on and it has issues, too, though a third website worked fine. I'll have to look into that.

In more exciting news, I ran the SunSpider benchmark on all five browsers, and came up with some interesting results. Here are the five browsers, ranked fastest to slowest (smaller numbers mean better, for those who can't tell):

2. Opera 11.01 304.6
      3. Chrome 10 325.7
      4. Safari 5.0.4 400.8

For the record I disabled all my add-ons for Firefox and restarted the browser before starting the test. No other browsers have any add-ons.

inb4alexander

WTH? Opera is faster at javascript handling than Chrome?!?! And Firefox is the slowest?

All I know is IE9 just became my dedicated Google Maps browser.
      - George Carlin

Don't bother with IE9, stick with your current browser imo.

While I am going to do that, I'd still like to hear your reasoning for your decision.
      - George Carlin

The post was edited 1 time, last by Matt: Requested name removal. ().

DamnImGood wrote:

2. Opera 11.01 304.6
      3. Chrome 10 325.7
      4. Safari 5.0.4 400.8

inb4alexander

Firefox 4.0: 313.4ms
      That's with all my add-ons and shit switched on.

SE7EN wrote:

Firefox 4.0: 313.4ms
      That's with all my add-ons and shit switched on.

Yes it will be interesting to see the performance of the final FF4 release. I imagine they'll be releasing it sometime in April.
      - George Carlin

DamnImGood wrote:

Yes it will be interesting to see the performance of the final FF4 release. I imagine they'll be releasing it sometime in April.

Actually the proposed final release date is March 22, barring any major issues.
      - George Carlin