High school homophobes

• High school homophobes

Hey guys, I need your help and opinion on something. This will be a long post so please bear with me.

To be honest, I'm so sick of fucking high school and the stupid shit in it that I want to murder. Really, I do. I'm in my second last year of high school (grade 11). I'm in my most important year, because it governs whether or not I get into university. All I want this year and next year to pass quickly, but these idiots I have to share a school with make time seem to pass slower and slower by the day.

I hang out with a friend of mine who is also gay (though we're just friends. According to him, he's not "into bears."), and we were discussing some things and I was joking about doing the time warp (if you watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show you'll know what I'm talking about). Then, as I was passing some guys I know, they all started shouting "STRAIGHT! STRAIGHT!"
      Now, I rarely even talk to these guys. We're on an unspoken agreement that I don't speak to them and they don't speak to me. I'm content with that; I dislike them anyway. But now, for some reason, shouting "STRAIGHT! STRAIGHT!" has become mainstream within the school. Most of the people say it without even fully realizing why they're saying. It has become the new slang within the school that everyone (well, everyone without any sense of logic) says. I even asked one guy what it's suppose to mean and he couldn't tell me. People just point to each other and say "STRAIGHT! STRAIGHT!"

Anyway, enough about that, people have adopted this idiotic slang, but some people say it to my face with a different, sarcastic, and non-joking tone like they do with others. One of the guys who told shouted that the first time said that to me randomly when I was just sitting in a free period minding my own business. And I sometimes hear people talking behind me back during physics class. This one bully in my class (he sometimes looks for trouble, but doesn't do anything other than talk crap because I ignore him and I think he's frightened by me because I am much bigger than him) whispers "Chris is straight!" And sometimes, I'll hear someone sort of defending me, though I suspect sarcasm, saying "Of course Chris is straight."

I don't know, guys. Maybe I'm just being paranoid and this idiotic slang is just being taken too far. Maybe they're not actually directing it at me. But, I'll be honest, I'm scared. I don't want to be outed. I don't want to be outcasted and bullied for being gay. I know there are quite a number of teachers that will defend me should something happen (some of them are either gay-friendly or gay themselves), but a major concern is my family. I don't want them to find out yet, because I'm unsure how they'll take it and I don't think my family can handle more stress.

God, I'm not sure what to do. All I wanted was to mind my own business and not get involved with people in my school, but people always want to worm themselves in. What should I do, guys? I really need your thoughts on this. Sorry about the length of this post, but I needed to get it out of my system.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tomb ().

• Re: High school homophobes

I know exactly what you mean. I spent years in highschool being paranoid that people knew I was gay. Only I was quite well known so I couldn't just kinda try to lie low and wait it out which meant I ended up hiding it by putting on a different personality and not being me. I grew to hate myself because of it. Once I had come out, if only to my close friends, it, they, helped me stay strong and just ignore all the homophobic shit happening around me.

I know it's probably quite different in your situation, but if I can say one thing, all the lying and acting was the worst thing I ever did. Just stay true to yourself and it'll all work out. I think the strength we gain from being gay (however unnecessary it should be) is kinda like a silver lining in the situation. It makes us who we are and helps us become stronger in the future which unfortunately is how it kinda has to be.
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

Bazinga! wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. I spent years in highschool being paranoid that people knew I was gay. Only I was quite well known so I couldn't just kinda try to lie low and wait it out which meant I ended up hiding it by putting on a different personality and not being me. I grew to hate myself because of it. Once I had come out, if only to my close friends, it, they, helped me stay strong and just ignore all the homophobic shit happening around me.

I know it's probably quite different in your situation, but if I can say one thing, all the lying and acting was the worst thing I ever did. Just stay true to yourself and it'll all work out. I think the strength we gain from being gay (however unnecessary it should be) is kinda like a silver lining in the situation. It makes us who we are and helps us become stronger in the future which unfortunately is how it kinda has to be.

Yeah. The thing is that no one has actually asked me or started giving me hell, so I'm not sure if they do know.
      About a year ago, two people have asked me if I am gay, but I denied it. I'm just so scared that they do find out. I know some will accept it, but they are rare. It's not easy when you go to a single-sex school. :(

Sorry to hear about your situation, you'll only have to bear through it one more year. Good luck to you.

Thanks.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Matt: Requested name remove ().

Tombgeek wrote:

It's not easy when you go to a single-sex school. :(

Oh no, that would suck. My BFF was incredible throughout my whole experience. She really helped me get through it
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

I know, I'm awesome. I be rapin' dat puss.

Wat.

I don't really know what to say though, since I came our in grade nine to pretty much everyone. I don't think you're being paranoid though. Because your parents sound like the kind of assholes that would kick you out (mine did) and that's nawt cool. I think that if your parents are assholes like that, you shouldn't come out until you're gonna move out of their house.

And if people at school ask you if you're gay tell them you're dating this rly hot girl name Sarah. :p

Okay
      If people need convincing, spam my Facebook wall with <3s please.
      Although I don't think my mom will kick me out. She'll probably be upset, but she'll probably get over it. Though I could be wrong. My dad will definitely hate me, but I don't give a shit about him. He's an asshole, and I feel nothing for him anyway.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tomb ().

I know it's hard. Bin there, done that, got the T-shirt, and my middle finger has fucking glued itself upright at the dickheads that made me feel like crap, but I walked out of it stronger.

I was always kind of an oddball, but I guess that was more of a reason for people to be dicks to me. I didn't even have any "Friends", so there I was, weird and alone. Perfect. Lynched, alienated, beaten, bullied, bashed and strangled. The teachers and school didn't give a shit, to them and to everyone I was just fair game. People said that I kind of deserved what I got because I didn't know when to shut up and try to fit in, but that's no excuse, the fact humanity is full of dicks is no excuse, most teenagers in highschool are all vicious, manipulating and generally evil thugs.

BUT I SAY FUCK DAT SHIT. I moved school, got my gaggle of misfit merry friends, and I'm so much better for it. I still get shit now, I'm out, but because I accept it, I don't deny a thing and there's just no real fun in calling the gay kid gay, because well that's what he is. When a dick was being dickish I turned around and told him what a massive dick-milking tit-licker he was being. If someone punched me, tripped me and spat on my neck, I fucking went to the teacher and brought that bitch down using the schools justice system.

So in short, life's going to give you lemons, so you fucking grind lemon juice into life's eyes until they're crying on the ground and you walk away with a grin on your face.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I agree with the above. If you can just ignore the people that are messing with you, their just a bunch of immature assholes anyway. If things get violent just go to the administration about it. There is no way they can ignore that fact that your getting bullied. Most of the kids who seriously pick on you probably have insecurities of their own. So good luck Man!

Sarah wrote:

And if people at school ask you if you're gay tell them you're dating this rly hot girl name Sarah. :p

Ahahaha I'm sorry but as soon as I saw this it made me think of one of my favorite musical.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlCBm_pEGEM]YouTube - Avenue Q My girlfriend who lives in Canada[/ame]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Albus Dumbledore ().

You also may be surprised that some people that you think would hate you for being gay may actualy don't care. That is the way it was with me I came out and it surprised me that a lot of people don't care and wil treat you the same way.

I also agree with not telling your parents, I haven't yet and I have a boyfriend:D. From what you said it is best that you wait to tell them until you can live on your own. Or you can also do what I am going to do which is never tell them and just don't talk to them once you move out.

But just wait it out if you don't want to come out. I believe that for you it will all get better in time if you decide to wait.

cazoofoo wrote:

I know it's hard. Bin there, done that, got the T-shirt, and my middle finger has fucking glued itself upright at the dickheads that made me feel like crap, but I walked out of it stronger.

I was always kind of an oddball, but I guess that was more of a reason for people to be dicks to me. I didn't even have any "Friends", so there I was, weird and alone. Perfect. Lynched, alienated, beaten, bullied, bashed and strangled. The teachers and school didn't give a shit, to them and to everyone I was just fair game. People said that I kind of deserved what I got because I didn't know when to shut up and try to fit in, but that's no excuse, the fact humanity is full of dicks is no excuse, most teenagers in highschool are all vicious, manipulating and generally evil thugs.

BUT I SAY FUCK DAT SHIT. I moved school, got my gaggle of misfit merry friends, and I'm so much better for it. I still get shit now, I'm out, but because I accept it, I don't deny a thing and there's just no real fun in calling the gay kid gay, because well that's what he is. When a dick was being dickish I turned around and told him what a massive dick-milking tit-licker he was being. If someone punched me, tripped me and spat on my neck, I fucking went to the teacher and brought that bitch down using the schools justice system.

So in short, life's going to give you lemons, so you fucking grind lemon juice into life's eyes until they're crying on the ground and you walk away with a grin on your face.

Alternatively, I'm contemplating taking up kickboxing. I could just beat the shit out of them :wink:

Akeila wrote:

I agree with the above. If you can just ignore the people that are messing with you, their just a bunch of immature assholes anyway. If things get violent just go to the administration about it. There is no way they can ignore that fact that your getting bullied. Most of the kids who seriously pick on you probably have insecurities of their own. So good luck Man!

Thanks.
      I don't even see what they have to be insecure about though. They're all richer than me, got girlfriends, are fitter and athletic and have more fun than I do. I just sit at home most of the time and read or browse the internet. So I don't understand what they have to feel insecure about.

Bazinga! wrote:

Ahahaha I'm sorry but as soon as I saw this it made me think of one of my favorite musical.

YouTube - Avenue Q My girlfriend who lives in Canada

:lol:
      And can just imagine that situation in real life.
      "Chris, are you gay?"
      "Uh -- no."
      "Got a girlfriend?"
      "Yes."
      "Really? What's her name?"
      "Sarah."
      "Oh. Can I meet her?"
      "No."
      "Why?"
      "Because she lives in Canada."

.Andrew. wrote:

You also may be surprised that some people that you think would hate you for being gay may actualy don't care. That is the way it was with me I came out and it surprised me that a lot of people don't care and wil treat you the same way.

I also agree with not telling your parents, I haven't yet and I have a boyfriend:D. From what you said it is best that you wait to tell them until you can live on your own. Or you can also do what I am going to do which is never tell them and just don't talk to them once you move out.

But just wait it out if you don't want to come out. I believe that for you it will all get better in time if you decide to wait.

I wish I had a boyfriend :(
      Although, I will be reliant on them for my university fees. The university I'm planning on going to is actually down the road from my high school (which is also close to a rugby stadium :nono:), and I live quite close to my school, so the little accountant in me tells me that living on my own is not a good idea, because I have accommodation at home for free. Although I've told my mother I want to move out in my second or third year, so I don't know. We'll see.
      I know my oldest sister will accept it though. She's good friends with one of the art teachers at the school (who is a flaming queen, I won't lie). My other sister might take some time, because she's one of those religious types. She said she doesn't mind homosexuals though, but she was grossed out when she saw Ellen's wedding video on YouTube.

Tombgeek wrote:

. I just sit at home most of the time and browse the internet.

The internet is really really great...

And another thing, don't be afraid of coming out, it's not abut how they will see you differently, it's how now that they know the truth what does that reveal about them? I mean, I'm talking out of my ass because my coming out was as easy as sliced gherkins but I can see how difficult it is for other people.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tombgeek wrote:

Hey guys, I need your help and opinion on something. This will be a long post so please bear with me.

To be honest, I'm so sick of fucking high school and the stupid shit in it that I want to murder. Really, I do. I'm in my second last year of high school (grade 11). I'm in my most important year, because it governs whether or not I get into university. All I want this year and next year to pass quickly, but these idiots I have to share a school with make time seem to pass slower and slower by the day.

I hang out with a friend of mine who is also gay (though we're just friends. According to him, he's not "into bears."), and we were discussing some things and I was joking about doing the time warp (if you watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show you'll know what I'm talking about). Then, as I was passing some guys I know, they all started shouting "STRAIGHT! STRAIGHT!"
      Now, I rarely even talk to these guys. We're on an unspoken agreement that I don't speak to them and they don't speak to me. I'm content with that; I dislike them anyway. But now, for some reason, shouting "STRAIGHT! STRAIGHT!" has become mainstream within the school. Most of the people say it without even fully realizing why they're saying. It has become the new slang within the school that everyone (well, everyone without any sense of logic) says. I even asked one guy what it's suppose to mean and he couldn't tell me. People just point to each other and say "STRAIGHT! STRAIGHT!"

Anyway, enough about that, people have adopted this idiotic slang, but some people say it to my face with a different, sarcastic, and non-joking tone like they do with others. One of the guys who told shouted that the first time said that to me randomly when I was just sitting in a free period minding my own business. And I sometimes hear people talking behind me back during physics class. This one bully in my class (he sometimes looks for trouble, but doesn't do anything other than talk crap because I ignore him and I think he's frightened by me because I am much bigger than him) whispers "Chris is straight!" And sometimes, I'll hear someone sort of defending me, though I suspect sarcasm, saying "Of course Chris is straight."

I don't know, guys. Maybe I'm just being paranoid and this idiotic slang is just being taken too far. Maybe they're not actually directing it at me. But, I'll be honest, I'm scared. I don't want to be outed. I don't want to be outcasted and bullied for being gay. I know there are quite a number of teachers that will defend me should something happen (some of them are either gay-friendly or gay themselves), but a major concern is my family. I don't want them to find out yet, because I'm unsure how they'll take it and I don't think my family can handle more stress.

God, I'm not sure what to do. All I wanted was to mind my own business and not get involved with people in my school, but people always want to worm themselves in. What should I do, guys? I really need your thoughts on this. Sorry about the length of this post, but I needed to get it out of my system.

What do you mean by you're a bear?
      I give cam shows every now and then, but I MUST know you and be comfortable with you before I will do them for you! If interested, contact me and get to know me!

cazoofoo wrote:

And another thing, don't be afraid of coming out, it's not abut how they will see you differently, it's how now that they know the truth what does that reveal about them? I mean, I'm talking out of my ass because my coming out was as easy as sliced gherkins but I can see how difficult it is for other people.

The irony is that South Africa is supposed to be this liberal country that has gay marriage with full rights as heterosexual marriage. Yet, high school still contains a bunch of homophobic pricks.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Aleksandr wrote:

What do you mean by you're a bear?

It means I have a burly build and I'm hairy.

Tombgeek wrote:

The irony is that South Africa is supposed to be this liberal country that has gay marriage with full rights as heterosexual marriage. Yet, high school still contains a bunch of homophobic pricks.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

It means I have a burly build and I'm hairy.

That's actually a MAJOR turn-on for me in guys.
      I give cam shows every now and then, but I MUST know you and be comfortable with you before I will do them for you! If interested, contact me and get to know me!

Hmmhmmm, I can't really relate to you but I did see my best friend go through nearly the exact same thing in his last year or so of school (I'm older than him, so I graduated before he did).

He was only "out" to a select few close friends, and I think those are the people who helped him through it the most. Stick close to the good friends you do have, and try your best to ignore everyone else and their ridiculousness, whether they mean it to be harmful or not!

Tombgeek wrote:

Although, I will be reliant on them for my university fees. The university I'm planning on going to is actually down the road from my high school (which is also close to a rugby stadium :nono:), and I live quite close to my school, so the little accountant in me tells me that living on my own is not a good idea, because I have accommodation at home for free. Although I've told my mother I want to move out in my second or third year, so I don't know. We'll see.

My buddy didn't tell his family until he moved out, and despite his belief that they wouldn't take it well, they're still helping him through university as far as I know. Of course it's totally up to you of course if you want to tell them or not, but if you do I really hope they're accepting. :)

If I recall correctly you're from a pretty random place (but maybe I'm going crazy! *edit: LOL, you posted your location while I was replying) but it might be worth checking out what kind of financial aid is available to LGBT students in your area (whether you tell your family or not!). I've heard of a number of scholarships but I don't know how widespread it is. Would probably be a pretty easy Google search, and many universities have a LGBT Resource/Pride Centre of some sort you could contact - they probably have that kind of information as well.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Scaredycrow ().

Aleksandr wrote:

That's actually a MAJOR turn-on for me in guys.

OK. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

Scaredycrow wrote:

Hmmhmmm, I can't really relate to you but I did see my best friend go through nearly the exact same thing in his last year or so of school (I'm older than him, so I graduated before he did).

He was only "out" to a select few close friends, and I think those are the people who helped him through it the most. Stick close to the good friends you do have, and try your best to ignore everyone else and their ridiculousness, whether they mean it to be harmful or not!

My buddy didn't tell his family until he moved out, and despite his belief that they wouldn't take it well, they're still helping him through university as far as I know. Of course it's totally up to you of course if you want to tell them or not, but if you do I really hope they're accepting. :)

If I recall correctly you're from a pretty random place (but maybe I'm going crazy! *edit: LOL, you posted your location while I was replying) but it might be worth checking out what kind of financial aid is available to LGBT students in your area (whether you tell your family or not!). I've heard of a number of scholarships but I don't know how widespread it is. Would probably be a pretty easy Google search, and many universities have a LGBT Resource/Pride Centre of some sort you could contact - they probably have that kind of information as well.

I'm in South Africa. Come on, it's not that random. It's fabulous :) (if you want to get robbed).
      The university I'm going to does have an LGBT club. I can also get a student loan and get a part-time job if I have to. I'm also planning on getting a book I wrote published. So if I can get that, the advance (which won't be much, but it's still something) will help with some of my financial woes. But I don't think they'll cut me off for being gay, but I know they might not take it well. Like I said, my parent have mixed emotions about the LGBT community.

I still haven't officially come out to my parents... I'm pretty sure they know, and I've planned to do it on so many occasions but have never truly been able to actually do it. I'm almost certain they'll be fine with it but when I'm even a teensy bit worried about something I find it so difficult to actually do.

But I think you should come out to some more of your close friends... maybe a close sister or aunty or something, I did and they helped me out quite a bit... just one more hurdle to go I suppose.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

cazoofoo wrote:

Ahaha You have no idea how much I want to rep you for this right now lol. Time to go on a random rep blitz so I can
      [CENTER][/CENTER]