27inch iMac?

• Re: 27inch iMac?

What ar eyou planning on using it for? If you plan on doing any graphics intensive things like film editing etc i'd highly recommend spending an extra 250 and getting the next model up.

I had the previous model 27 inch iMac and loved it. They've only got better since then though so I'll say it's a great computer (if you can afford the unfortunate overpricing that comes standard with Macs)

I miss my huge 27inch screen... but I do very much love the portability of my macBook pro :) besides I can just buy a 27 inch external monitor.
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Albus Dumbledore ().

It's going ot be used for University work, which for my course (LLB Law) will be used for legal databases and massive essays etc so I don't need an overly awesome graphic card because it won't be used.

The only thing I'm worried about is how soon do they bring out iMacs. I don't want to buy something which will be pushed out quicker than it took for me to get used to it

Well the current iMac was just released so you should get at leaset a year before the new model comes out.
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

You're going to spend thousands of dollars to write essays?

notsureifserious.jpg

The iMacs and any other computer with a similar "compact design" are monetary blackholes. They offer no expansion and if something goes wrong you have to send it away to get it fixed. Save yourself the hassle (and the money) and get a computer with a traditional tower.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.

and run Mac OSX :)
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

LanaBanana wrote:

it's not that, I'd just like a nice computer for once.
      Like something where I can splash out and it will look pretty too :)

Despite what the Apple ads will tell you, you can easily get a "nice" PC that isn't a Mac. It will even look pretty, too (and save you at least a thousand dollars).

Bazinga! wrote:

and run Mac OSX :)

Use VirtualBox. Go full screen. Profit.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Ahaha one of my friends at uni tried running OSX in virtualbox to edit a film with Finalcut Pro (we had to use final cut for the class) and he had nothing but problems with its efficiency and stability.
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

LanaBanana wrote:

I'm hoping to get my greedy hands on one of thesebad boys soetime soon.
      I just want to know thoughts of them.

Do you have one? and if so, do you like/reccommend one?
      have you heard of any issues about them?

And just general opinions about iMacs.
      Will be the £1399 model on here:
      iMac - Apple Store (UK)

thoughts?!?!

LOOPY SWEETY.

I HAVE THE 27 INCH.

I RECOMMEND IT.

MANY KIDS WHO CAN NOT AFFORD THE IMAC WILL TRY TO MAKE FUN OF YOU BY SAYING THEY CAN BUILD A BETTER ONE FOR 300 DOLLARS AND SHIT.

BUT I RECOMMEND YOU GETTING IT AND YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

Bazinga! wrote:

Ahaha one of my friends at uni tried running OSX in virtualbox to edit a film with Finalcut Pro (we had to use final cut for the class) and he had nothing but problems with its efficiency and stability.

First, Final Cut Pro is a resource-intensive application; it's not meant to be run in a virtual environment. Second, I highly doubt his machine had the necessary specs to run the virtual environment he needed. Third, I use VirtualBox extensively and never have problems with it. I even find its performance to be better than VMware Workstation. Fancy that.
      - George Carlin

DamnImGood wrote:

First, Final Cut Pro is a resource-intensive application; it's not meant to be run in a virtual environment. Second, I highly doubt his machine had the necessary specs to run the virtual environment he needed. Third, I use VirtualBox extensively and never have problems with it. I even find its performance to be better than VMware Workstation. Fancy that.

Nah, not sure about the specific specs but he custom built his computer for 3D modelling and animation so I'm assuming it was pretty well off in the specs department.

Works even better if it's natively run on a Mac PC though. :p
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

Bazinga! wrote:

Nah, not sure about the specific specs but he custom built his computer for 3D modelling and animation so I'm assuming it was pretty well off in the specs department.

Works even better if it's natively run on a Mac PC though. :p

Chances are he didn't devote enough resources to the virtual machine. And yes, applications always run better in their native environment.

In any case, I don't think she's going to be using Final Cut Pro...
      - George Carlin

DamnImGood wrote:

Chances are he didn't devote enough resources to the virtual machine. And yes, applications always run better in their native environment.

In any case, I don't think she's going to be using Final Cut Pro...

Ahaha this is very true.
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

LanaBanana wrote:

I'm hoping to get my greedy hands on one of thesebad boys soetime soon.
      I just want to know thoughts of them.

Do you have one? and if so, do you like/reccommend one?
      have you heard of any issues about them?

And just general opinions about iMacs.
      Will be the £1399 model on here:
      iMac - Apple Store (UK)

thoughts?!?!

Specifications
      3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
      8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
      1TB Serial ATA Drive
      AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
      Apple Magic Mouse
      Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (British) & User’s Guide (French)
      Microsoft Office Mac 2011 - Home and Student Edition
      AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac/eMac
      HP ENVY 100 e-All-in-One

LanaBanana wrote:

it's not that, I'd just like a nice computer for once.
      Like something where I can splash out and it will look pretty too :)

It's not about having a computer that looks "nice". It's about having a computer that works and is worth the money. Macs are good machines, I won't lie, but if all you're going to do is write essays, browse the internet and various simple tasks, I don't see why you should waste your money when you can get a perfectly good Windows equivalent for less.
      Macs are designed for users who work with resource-intensive yet creative tasks such as video and image editing and other tasks, as well as rich people who think they're hip and trendy just because they don't have to use a Windows computer like all the common people do.