Alcholic/abusive father? Guys, read this.

• Alcholic/abusive father? Guys, read this.

So I made this topic for guys primarily, but I guess it could be of some use to girls too.
      Anyway, I have the typical abusive father. Constantly drunk, picking fights with me or my mum, has hit me on more than one ocassion, but not for a few years until today, and always ready to point out that I'm an idiot or that I'm stupid.
      Now I know guys especially seem to have an urge to get violent right back with their fathers and I'm here to share my experience so that you may make better decisions than I.
      So here's the story:
      This morning I woke up to my parents fighting, same old arguments, and my mother was shouting quite loud. Anyway so I ran in to see if everything was okay which infuriated my father as he saw me as interfering.
      So my Mum leaves for shopping and us two are home and he picks an argument with me for interfering, we have a heated exchange of words where he calls me all sorts of things and I left it at that.
      Once my Mum returned, he started blaming her for how I was arguing with him (I'm 18 FFS). It got pretty heated to the point where he challenged me to a fight until someone is knocked out. I was walking away (as my Mum always told me to do) when he continued pushing me, threw off his shirt and kept winding up for a punch. Eventually he pushed me and hit me in the face as I told him fighting will not sort out anything.
      Well it's probably a good time to mention I've been boxing for 2 years so I'm quick with my hands, but I've never been in an actual fight before - just some light sparring. So retaliating to that one hit I landed 3-4 punches right on his chin, wobbling him. Again I told him I didn't want this and he gets up, regains his balance and throws another punch - I block and land 3-4 more and walk away. I stopped well before he was seriously hurt.

NOW, the repercussions. For the last year I thought I'd feel better if I hit him. In fact I feel the worst I've ever felt. I lost control of myself and my Mum is probably not impressed with how I handled the situation. I used what I learned against a person with no training and battered him badly. He is in his room now, sleeping with a swollen face and I feel terrible. I should have never gotten violent, I feel just as low as him now.

Anyone who thinks violent revenge is the answer needs to rethink things. Want revenge? Go on, live your life - that's what will hurt him the most. Please don't make the same mistake I did today. Sorry the post was so long.