How to tell your family your Gay?

• Re: How to tell your family your Gay?

I told my brother and my sister at the same time. They just laughed at me.

I told my dad at a Basketball game and he said that as long as I didn't wear a dress to my wedding he's okay with it... that was awkward (not because I want to wear a dress to my wedding or anything.. but yeah).

I never told my mom, but the subject has been addressed on more than one occassion. I think my dad probably told her.

I told my mom first and then she told my dad. They're both okay with it, and actually kinda knew that I was Bi. Although my mom and I have convos all the time about my sexuality. I like guys more and she says, "I knew that already." I lul'd.

My whole school knows and nothing really happened. :)
      "Be yourself. It's MUCH more fun!" - Me
      I'm nice! PM ME! :wink:

It's good to speak in simple terms. Address it so that it's more relatable. Like, instead of saying "I'm gay", maybe "I'm like guys, not girls." Then again, you know your parents best, so you can probably gauge their reactions. There's no real "right way" to come out.

Just keep in mind that their first reaction won't be their last. Some parents react horribly, but after time when they see it's not going to change, they come to accept it. Some parents never really accept it. But I hope your parents do come to grips with it well enough.

I wish you good luck, Owen :)
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HockeyFan;1062815419 wrote:

whatever dr phil

I told my Mom when I was 15. I said "I love pussy" and my Mom said "you're going to Hell."
      I told my Dad when I was 16. I said "I like girls" and he said "you're a dyke."
      I told my friends and they were like "obviously" and some of them were like "let's hook up."
      I told the rest of my family when I was 16. I was like "Yo, I'm gay" and they said "I don't care."
      I told my lesbian cousin and her girlfriend when I was 13 and they high-fived me.

Jo147 wrote:

I've done it, I have only told my cousin but I feel GREAT! I told her by text and she was fine with it =))

That's awesome! I can't come out to anyone in my family because they're all homophobic. The last time I told someone about my sexuality (one of my old best friends), she said "dykes are creepy." Which was really hypocritical of her, because she hangs out with lesbians all the time.
      Hope is like a butterfly, it can be killed with one quick movement.

Jo147 wrote:

I've done it, I have only told my cousin but I feel GREAT! I told her by text and she was fine with it =))

That's brilliant! One step closer.

For myself, I came out of 'the closet' officially about a couple of months ago.

The first I told, was a good and very close friend and she is bisexual herself; so I knew she would be accepting and so on. After that, I told my father (over facebook) and he was fine with it, told me he would love me no matter what. Thirdly, I told my mother, well technically my father brought it up while we waited for the ferryboat to come pick him up to go home, there was a topic about accepting your child no matter what they do or are and my dad brought up - "So, if Chase was gay, you would accept it?", and my mom thought for a second and just was a bit.. "bitchy" about it saying, "What, he is gay now? Fuck sakes" and just laughs, then I look at her and tell her.

The expression on her face was priceless, but very acceptable. She looked at me, shocked and just gave me and hug and all she said was "Ok" to everything my dad, or I said. Then, I drove my mother and myself home - she goes upstairs and talks to my step-dad, he doesn't seem to bothered by it and such. Over the week, my mom kept trying to say I was 'confused' in a way, but I told her I'm not (I didn't tell her I was in a relationship at the time) and just tried on telling me I wasn't gay. Eventually, she started to adjust.. but not really. She just said she didn't understand and thinks it was something she did - but it wasn't. A little while ago, I broke up with my boyfriend who got mad because he couldn't come up to see me, or I couldn't go see him - right after that, my mom said that I could bring my boyfriend up here if I ever get or had one.. TISK TISK.

Third person I told, was my one and only brother. We took him upstairs (away from his girlfriend) with my mom, sat him down on the bed and I just told him. He was rather confused and stunned more then anything, but eventually got over it and just said it doesn't bother him. He told his girlfriend eventually, and they brought it up trying to get me to tell her, when she already knew - she told me my brother told her, she doesn't care. Apparently she 'knew since she met me'.

A couple of family members know, and some friends because of the people I told, doesn't bother me.

---

Just remember, everyone reacts different. No matter how they may act, or propose over it; it's you, it doesn't change who you were before they knew, or who you are now. If they can't, well that's their decision - if they do, that's a bonus.

:)
      [COLOR="Teal"]Counselor at LGBT Committee Program of Ontario
      Counselor at Ontario & Manitoba Int. Counselling Service
      [/COLOR]

i have come out to alot of people but not my family. i just i am conflicted on whether or not to tell my parents...they are the type that would say " your 15...how can you be sure?? you too young to know..teens like to experiment at this age." but really? attraction starts around the ages of 7-8 =p
      CutieCakesCares:)

Speak wrote:

i have come out to alot of people but not my family. i just i am conflicted on whether or not to tell my parents...they are the type that would say " your 15...how can you be sure?? you too young to know..teens like to experiment at this age." but really? attraction starts around the ages of 7-8 =p

Not really. Attraction starts at puberty for most people. Kid crushes don't count.
      Hope is like a butterfly, it can be killed with one quick movement.

i sooo dont under stand y ppl say "kid " crushes dont count i was like 8 and i had aboy friend for like 1.5 yrs. and we kisesd bla bla bla. every 1 in the skool knew.. most of the teachers porbly did 2..my perents did.. but they like harrased me about it endlessly for months.. but my poink being i think it skill should count as a real relationship..and not just a "kid crush"