college isn't what i expected so far...

• college isn't what i expected so far...

so i moved into my dorm august 31st. I've only made 3 friends who i actually hang out with or go eat with sometimes. my roommate, a girl i met at orientation, and a girl that was in one of my classes back home. its much harder to make friends than i thought it would be, at least for me it is. everyone else seems to already have their big group of friends who they hang out with everyday and i feel like somethings wrong with me for not being able to have the same. during the first couple weeks here, i sat down to eat with people i didn't know each meal and had legit conversations and they all seemed really nice but then after you leave the cafe you'll never really see them around again. now i just sit alone because the last couple times i sat with people they seemed totally disinterested and weren't even trying to make conversation with me so I'm just avoiding that situation completely, it made me feel like shit. i tried to socialize and everything but no ones stuck around. like i met a couple guys one night and they were really cool and they said i was cool and i even went to a football game with them and i asked one of them to hang out a couple times again and we did but then they just never texted me or anything again. wtf. i just feel so lonely everyday when my roommate is out all day and into the early morning with her korean friends. i feel so opposite of who i am, always stuck in my dorm because i have no one to hang out with and nowhere to be. i'd leave the door open but no one really walks in and introduces themselves around here. i feel like everyones already settled and living their new lives and I'm just digging deeper into a state of depression which makes me even more discouraged that ill find friends. i thought i'd go out all the time and be having the time of my life but I'm just like a complete homebody and i hate it, its driving me crazy. I've joined some clubs but its hard to fit extra curricular's into my art schedule so well see if ill be able to keep up with that. i do go out most fridays with the girl from back home but its harder to find parties than wed thought and we only had one super successful night that was a lot of fun. i feel so abnormal and left out of the great times that all my friends at different colleges are having. seriously, i get depressed seeing all the photos they have to post in their "college life!" Facebook albums because I'm so jealous... what has happened to me and my life? we've been in school about a month now so why don't i have friends yet??
      its driving me crazy being so isolated and alone. i thought id at least find myself a nice group of stoners like me to chill with but the one i did talk to (who i also sold my vaporizer to because I'm upgrading) obviously wasn't interested in me even though we shared common interests cuz she just took my vape and never said anything to me again.
      i feel like i should be so thankful for having this great opportunity to go to a great school with so many opportunities but i just can't be happy without having people to laugh with and spend time with.... I'm just really missing my comfortable life back home...
      any advice or encouraging comments are welcome!!
    • Re: college isn't what i expected so far...

my roommate is korean and shes super nice and i love her to death but she only seems to want to have asian friends and thats all she hangs out with. shes never invited me to go out with her and her friends and she goes to a party like every other night, either at the asian frats or someones house i guess but i feel like theres some unspoken agreement that i dont hang out with her group. its really fucking stupid though cuz ive hung out with a couple of her friends while they were in our dorm and they were so funny and cool but no, im just not allowed in their group hang outs cuz im not asian.... pretty much.
      and i just really hate coming off as desperate and i dont want people to think im clinging to them cuz i have no other friends, so after i asked the guys like the last 2 times to hang, i thought alright ill wait til they ask me but they never did. so why would i want to hang out with people who obviously dont care to hang out with me enough to do something about it...
      thanks for replying though.

Hmm, I see. I guess the best option (but maybe not easy) is to make new friends.

I don't think there's a formula for that. But you can try things like asking a friend if he/she has done his/her homework, etc. Chit chat.
      [5:24 AM] lazyday: i love girls but when they're fresh e.g. 7 yo

chelseaaa19 wrote:

my roommate is korean and shes super nice and i love her to death but she only seems to want to have asian friends and thats all she hangs out with. shes never invited me to go out with her and her friends and she goes to a party like every other night, either at the asian frats or someones house i guess but i feel like theres some unspoken agreement that i dont hang out with her group. its really fucking stupid though cuz ive hung out with a couple of her friends while they were in our dorm and they were so funny and cool but no, im just not allowed in their group hang outs cuz im not asian.... pretty much.

I think it's all in your head, just ask.

You two are living together, awkwardness is going to come up in one way or another eventually. You might as well deal with it now.

College is different for everyone and it really depends on the type of person you are and what kind of campus you're on. I'm a bit anti-social, but my campus only has about 1,300 students, so I still know a fair few people, even if we don't hang out regularly or anything. I've made several friends in my dorm hall, maybe try talking to people who live near your room? I find those kind of friendships tend to be nice because you're right next to each other, so whenever you want to hang out, it's easily done as opposed to last year where I was pretty much a recluse because I lived in a hall on the other side of campus from most of my friends.

It's what you make of it. I know it can be disheartening, but it's not that far into the school year. I didn't really have many friends at my school until near the end of the first semester, and that was only because they were friends of friends and we all had meals together.

It's also good to remember that just because people have branched off with their own groups that doesn't mean they wouldn't want another person around. :)
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HockeyFan;1062815419 wrote:

whatever dr phil