Teen Hut Dying: Why?

• Re: Teen Hut Dying: Why?

Everyone has grown up and moved on. Majority of the regular posters are 18+. Teenhut just isn't able to retain new users. I'm sure there are plenty of new user registrations, but those people are coming here for the advice sections and not for the Cafe or other areas.

Teenhut will probably be gone in two years.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.

DamnImGood wrote:

Everyone has grown up and moved on. Majority of the regular posters are 18+. Teenhut just isn't able to retain new users. I'm sure there are plenty of new user registrations, but those people are coming here for the advice sections and not for the Cafe or other areas.

Teenhut will probably be gone in two years.

mayank probably hasn't realized this site is slow. as long as he makes money he's good
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

ey wrote:

mayank probably hasn't realized this site is slow. as long as he makes money he's good

He probably will always make money because the regulars are not the people who click the ads.

I'd like to rephrase what I said. Teenhut won't die in two years; it will just be completely different where the Cafe is a ghost town and the only places with any real "activity" will be the support sections. Teenhut will turn into a support forum almost entirely.
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

David wrote:

One major way the site could be improved is to update to vBulletin 4 (it has a much more modern-looking default skin and several other extra features which are pretty cool) and delete several forums that nobody uses (Quizzes & Surveys, Jokes & Humour, etc.) to make the front page look less cluttered. Those changes wouldn't necessarily "revive" things to 2008-09 levels, but I think it would help the retention rate for new users somewhat. First impressions go a long way.

I'm serious about the VB4 thing...VB3.x is showing its age and just looks more and more outdated the more I look at it. VB4 upgrade + a new revamped logo would do wonders for making the site look not-neglected, and perhaps more people would stay.

Also, the ads. Although the "add-on that shall not be named" does eliminate them, I've noticed a lot of users don't seem to know what it is or how to use it, and so they see the ads. And there are a LOT of them. Every other website ever has their ads balanced...enough to where they are seen and clicked on, but not so many that they drive users away. I have yet to find another forum that embeds ads in posts, and it's been a long time since I've been to one that inserts ads between posts. The balance needs to be struck...a horizontal ad bar at the top and one at the bottom, or maybe one at the top and on the side would be more than sufficient. It's a fact that people hate ads, and too many of them make any website look ugly.

And then there's the issue of trolling, but I'm not going into that because it's been beaten to death already.

Agreed about the embedded ads. Once you start impeding on user experience you're just hurting yourself.

What sort of things does vBulletin 4 offer that 3 doesn't?
      - George Carlin

David wrote:

One major way the site could be improved is to update to vBulletin 4 (it has a much more modern-looking default skin and several other extra features which are pretty cool) and delete several forums that nobody uses (Quizzes & Surveys, Jokes & Humour, etc.) to make the front page look less cluttered. Those changes wouldn't necessarily "revive" things to 2008-09 levels, but I think it would help the retention rate for new users somewhat. First impressions go a long way.

I'm serious about the VB4 thing...VB3.x is showing its age and just looks more and more outdated the more I look at it. VB4 upgrade + a new revamped logo would do wonders for making the site look not-neglected, and perhaps more people would stay.

Also, the ads. Although the "add-on that shall not be named" does eliminate them, I've noticed a lot of users don't seem to know what it is or how to use it, and so they see the ads. And there are a LOT of them. Every other website ever has their ads balanced...enough to where they are seen and clicked on, but not so many that they drive users away. I have yet to find another forum that embeds ads in posts, and it's been a long time since I've been to one that inserts ads between posts. The balance needs to be struck...a horizontal ad bar at the top and one at the bottom, or maybe one at the top and on the side would be more than sufficient. It's a fact that people hate ads, and too many of them make any website look ugly.

And then there's the issue of trolling, but I'm not going into that because it's been beaten to death already.

This, and a new site name.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

David wrote:

Agreed.

You're right about the ads. Probably a big factor in this. I haven't seen this place without UVIP or a certain extension in quite a while, but I know they're probably 10x worse than when I joined, and loads of people don't stay because of them.

Dexter. wrote:

Facebook became the place for people to complain.

Ugh, this, too.

I also use a special add-on that works with the "add-on that cannot be named" to give me 100% width. That sidebar is damn annoying.
      - George Carlin

Most of the regular users are growing up and not using it anymore and I also think the "trolling" gets to a point that can over step the line and just forces people away from here and also discourages newer users. The regular users are disappearing one by one.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="4"]<3[/SIZE][/CENTER]