Marijuana should be legal or not?

• Marijuana should be legal or not?

somebody had to ask this question.. should pot be legal?
      in my opinion yes because it is not that harmful to the human body, plus even if it legal or not ppl will still smoke it, the government can either collect taxes by legalizing it or keep it illegal and the drug cartels will make money from it.

but my main reason is how are "we" (as in humans) to make a natural plant created by nature illegal

let me know what you guys think

messed up on the spelling Marijuana not maharajah...
      :angeldevil:
    • Re: Marijuana should be legal or not?

man101093 wrote:

messed up on the spelling Marijuana not maharajah...

Maybe you've had too much?
      One of the main arguments I hear is that it can have long term mental health effects.
      Another is that if people partake activities whilst under the influence of it then it could be dangerous to others.
      Personally, I see no reason as to why it should be illegal. It's not physically addictive (though it may be mentally, but then again everything could be), and it's less detrimental to human health as cigarettes or excessive amounts of alcohol.
      [CENTER]Elocution so divine[/CENTER]

man101093 wrote:

but my main reason is how are "we" (as in humans) to make a natural plant created by nature illegal

Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it's safe and has no bearing on whether or not it should be legal.

I'm kind of apathetic about the whole marijuana thing, but I'm also one of those people who wishes there were stricter smoking laws, so if it was legalized I'd hope it was well-controlled.

I don't care what anybody else says because I have seen studies done about it and I have seen it for myself, if you smoke too much marijuana while you are growing up and your brain is still maturing, it can cause permanent mental health damage

If it was legalized, they would have to make the age limit 23 or something like that - When the brain finishes maturing and has fully developed. But even then, there is no way they are going to make something legal that has to have an age limit that high

The post was edited 4 times, last by V1NC3 ().

Yes. I have a very strong opinion on this issue, let me start off by saying I do not smoke weed. I tried it once and I absolutely hated it and regret doing it to this day.

I personally feel that too many young Americans are having their lives ruined just because of a few stupid mistakes they have made. I'm sure most of us will regret some of the stuff that we have done at this age when we're older. There are a ton of non-violent marijuana offenders currently in jail, that could potentially be out living a productive life.

Not to mention, marijuana is a major cash crop. Hemp is a good example of this. Imagine how much more income the country would actually bring in if the government regulated and taxed marijuana? Of course, if we keep fighting wars that we don't have the money to pay for, it won't really matter, but that's another rant for another day.

A lot of Violence and death could be avoided. There are cases of this all the time. I heard about this one man who was being raided by police because he was a suspect for marijuana possession. When the police stormed in, he had a television remote in his hands, but the police shot him thinking it was a gun. There are so many more examples of this but all of the marijuana drug war related deaths would not occur if marijuana was legal.

And finally, even if it is to be illegal, then they should at least amend the Constitution for it. They had to do it with Alcohol didn't they? What's so different now? Speaking of Alcohol prohibition, that didn't work out too well, and in my opinion, neither is the current drug war.

Sorry to get all political in a discussion like this, but it's all I really know on the topic. I don't have an opinion on the age limit, I would say 18, but it's really just whatever. To be fair, there are a lot of natural things in this earth that wouldn't be a good idea to smoke.

The post was edited 2 times, last by NathanHill ().

Legal, end of story. Why isn't cigarettes and alcohol illegal? Because rich politicians smoke and drink and they don't want to make their drugs illegal. They want to waste money and time on busting people with cannabis when alcohol is clearly much worse. Every drug will be bad for you. Just don't smoke weed and drive as you wouldn't drink and drive.

All drugs should be legal. The law is not the deterrent, it's fear of taking it that is the deterrent of obtaining drugs. Only when people traffic large amounts of drugs is the law SOMETIMES a deterrent. If someone wants to do drugs, they are going to do it either way, legal or not. Making drugs illegal just causes more crimes and overpopulation in jails.
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Manny ().

It definitely should be legal!

There isn't a single documented death related to the consumption of Marijuana. You can't overdose, it's almost impossible as THC has a remarkably low toxicity. It is true that Marijuana contains large amounts of tar, however, you can vaporize, eat or drink marijuana. All of these methods would eliminate the tar from the picture. Marijuana is not physically addictive. You can stop it at anytime and you will not experience any sort of physical withdrawal. Marijuana is also NOT a gateway drug, it doesn't control you. YOU HAVE A BRAIN AND THE WILL TO MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS, MARIJUANA DOES NOT AND CANNOT TAKE THAT AWAY FROM YOU.

Lets contrast that with the two most popular, legal recreational drugs: Alcohol and Tabacco

Alcohol:

Kills roughly 75,000 people every year in America alone.
      35,000 of these people died from cirrhosis of the liver.
      41,000 from Alcohol-related car crashes and other incidents.

About 140 million people are struggling with Alcoholism around the world.

Tabacco:

According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control)

More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined.

Cigarette smoking causes about 1 of every 5 deaths in the United States each year. Cigarette smoking is estimated to cause the following:

443,000 deaths annually (including deaths from secondhand smoke)
      49,400 deaths per year from secondhand smoke exposure
      269,655 deaths annually among men
      173,940 deaths annually among women

I bet your asking, "Well if they're so bad, then why are they legal?" I'll tell you why because tabacco and alcohol are two of the largest industries in America. It's like oil, we all know the burning of petroleum is bad. We still use it though! That's because the oil industry is HUGE and the government wouldn't dare get in the way of one of the largest sources of money for them. In other words, they won't bite the hand that feeds them. I know this isn't about oil, but I was just trying to make a comparison for better understanding of my point.

I also know that this isn't just a United States issue, rather a global issue. But if those are the amounts of people dying every year in one country, imagine all of them combined!

So basically just because something is legal doesn't make it good and just because it's illegal doesn't make it bad.

vigilante wrote:

All drugs should be legal. The law is not the deterrent, it's fear of taking it that is the deterrent of obtaining drugs. Only when people traffic large amounts of drugs is the law SOMETIMES a deterrent. If someone wants to do drugs, they are going to do it either way, legal or not. Making drugs illegal just causes more crimes and overpopulation in jails.

YES!!!! ^
      “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
      ― Harlan Ellison

The post was edited 4 times, last by gman4354 ().

TheChristianHippie wrote:

^ Have you ever vaped? It's kind of lame. Also, edibles take way too long to make. If I want to get high I'm not going to wait an hour and a half... and I'm definitely not going to spend time looking for someone to buy brownies from. So that logic is flawed. The rest of your argument is awesome though.

Thank you! :D

I know it's not as effective unless you smoke it, but I find that people always try to use the "there's more tar in marijuana than cigarettes" line to try and prove that it's bad and thus should be illegal. Because even though that's true, there's still hasn't been a single documented death related to Marijuana use.

I digress though.
      “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
      ― Harlan Ellison

TheChristianHippie wrote:

^ Have you ever vaped? It's kind of lame. Also, edibles take way too long to make. If I want to get high I'm not going to wait an hour and a half... and I'm definitely not going to spend time looking for someone to buy brownies from. So that logic is flawed. The rest of your argument is awesome though.

I enjoy making edibles and the high that follows is something else entirely compared to just smoking it. Vaping may be lame, but, better for you. (Although, I've never actually vaped myself, simply because they are expensive)
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=4] I Love You Cassie<3
      OOOOH THESE KNIVES MAN
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

vigilante wrote:

I need to know more people like you. Cause this statement is a giant yes.

I think marijuana should be entirely legal. I'm not gonna use this whole "the stuff that is legal is worse" argument. I'm a huge advocate for personal freedom. HUGE.
      I smoke. Just saying. But that's all I do. Just gonna preface the next part with that. Buuuut. If weed were legal, in all forms. I would grow my own, roll my own, smoke my own, sell a lil to my friends. Make hash. Just saying. XD if it were legal I'd be one hell of an awesome dude. :P But it's illegal. :/ which makes me sad.
      :shifty: Oh shit.. it's this guy again