Would you rather know the date of your death, or not?

• Would you rather know the date of your death, or not?

Me and a friend were talking about whether we would rather see/know about something we were afraid of, or remain unaware.

Take the whole, 'would you rather know the date of your death, or not?' issue. I wouldn't, I'd much rather remain completely unaware - but would you?
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="2"][CENTER][SIZE="2"] Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional! [/SIZE][/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    • Re: Would you rather know the date of your death, or not?

Placebo wrote:

I'd rather know. It means I can plan to enjoy my life as much as possible before death.

^ This. If I knew I was going to die before or straight after university, I would change that life decision and just get rid of it knowing that I wouldn't be wasting my life in education to die at the end of it all.
      [CENTER]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="Black"]When the city sleeps, I'm wide awake.
      You know what I see? High rises. Low lifes.
      Bright lights and back alleys.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[/CENTER]

Shortages wrote:

^ This. If I knew I was going to die before or straight after university, I would change that life decision and just get rid of it knowing that I wouldn't be wasting my life in education to die at the end of it all.

But then you're planning your entire life, solely around your death. You wouldn't waste your time on education? To me, education is really important. Imagine if suddenly everyone knew their exact date of death, and they started dropping out, quitting their jobs, splitting from their partners (to sleep around as much as they can), committing crimes, etc. I mean, hey, if you're going to die tomorrow, may as well go loot a shop before you do. What's the worst that could happen?

Can you imagine a life like that?
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="2"][CENTER][SIZE="2"] Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional! [/SIZE][/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

hannah63 wrote:

But then you're planning your entire life, solely around your death. You wouldn't waste your time on education? To me, education is really important. Imagine if suddenly everyone knew their exact date of death, and they started dropping out, quitting their jobs, splitting from their partners (to sleep around as much as they can), committing crimes, etc. I mean, hey, if you're going to die tomorrow, may as well go loot a shop before you do. What's the worst that could happen?

When it's something I'm not sure I want to carry on pursuing, then sure I'd love to give it up if I knew that I'd die afterwards and have achieved nothing from it.

You didn't ask if I would rather everyone knew, otherwise of course I'd say no. But if I were to die tomorrow - I don't see why I'd loot a shop, it's not like it's going to make any difference to me.
      [CENTER]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="Black"]When the city sleeps, I'm wide awake.
      You know what I see? High rises. Low lifes.
      Bright lights and back alleys.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[/CENTER]

Shortages wrote:

When it's something I'm not sure I want to carry on pursuing, then sure I'd love to give it up if I knew that I'd die afterwards and have achieved nothing from it.

You didn't ask if I would rather everyone knew, otherwise of course I'd say no. But if I were to die tomorrow - I don't see why I'd loot a shop, it's not like it's going to make any difference to me.

Yeah, if you didn't want to do it because you had other things you'd want to achieve instead, then that's reasonable. I know that for one, I wouldn't give up the experience of college/university/a career I've always dreamed of, just because I found out when I was going to die. But that's just me. I don't chose to do something unless I'm absolutely sure it's what I want to do.

And yeah, I didn't mean everyone. I mean if it wasn't you, just another homeless man on the street, or a criminal who suddenly found out...you just can't be sure what anybody else would do! It's a scary thought.

I'm a paranoid person, if I knew my death then I would probably live a very sad life. I'd always be thinking about the date and trying to figure out ways to prevent it.

I guess I might want to know, but only if I lived a long life. Like if I knew I wouldn't die until my 80's or so then I would be very relieved.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Kahlee wrote:

I'm a paranoid person, if I knew my death then I would probably live a very sad life. I'd always be thinking about the date and trying to figure out ways to prevent it.

I guess it all depends on the person then. Somebody like you would be safer not knowing, because of that...whereas others may want to, solely so they can focus on living a fuller life before their death.

meg.loomis wrote:

Final Destination, anyone? :lol:

Nah, I don't think I would. I'd rather not live dreading it— and I would.

Yep, same. I wouldn't want my life to revolve around rushing to do all the things I had to before that day came. I'd rather just enjoy it, and let it happen when it happens.

hannah63 wrote:

Me and a friend were talking about whether we would rather see/know about something we were afraid of, or remain unaware.

I live and breathe an analogy of this every single day at work. :lol: I'll have to trek through somewhere that I can see tons of spiderwebs, and I know the motherfuckers that built them are in there somewhere [death is inevitable], but it's a lot easier to do the job when I can't see the creatures themselves. :p I'd way rather not know, haha.

Scaredycrow wrote:

I live and breathe an analogy of this every single day at work. :lol: I'll have to trek through somewhere that I can see tons of spiderwebs, and I know the motherfuckers that built them are in there somewhere [death is inevitable], but it's a lot easier to do the job when I can't see the creatures themselves. :p I'd way rather not know, haha.

Yep, same. I have a crazy phobia of crane flies (daddy long legs) and if there's one in the bathroom, or in the kitchen, I'll leave the light off so I can't see it. I'm standing there while it's flying around me, kidding myself it's not there :lol:

hannah63 wrote:

Pretty sure in the original post it said nothing about everybody knowing their date of death.
      [CENTER]Elocution so divine[/CENTER]

Placebo wrote:

Pretty sure in the original post it said nothing about everybody knowing their date of death.

Yeah, and I mentioned in an earlier post that I meant as a more general term of 'anybody' knowing. Say if it wasn't you, if it was somebody else who had different attitudes and morals to you. Say a convict, nobody could predict what he would do.

hannah63 wrote:

Yeah, and I mentioned in an earlier post that I meant as a more general term of 'anybody' knowing. Say if it wasn't you, if it was somebody else who had different attitudes and morals to you. Say a convict, nobody could predict what he would do.

Pretty sure not much seeing as he'd be in prison.
      It'd be flawed to know your date of death anyway. I'd just jump out of planes without parachutes and live seeing as it'd be before the date given.
      [CENTER]Elocution so divine[/CENTER]

Placebo wrote:

Pretty sure not much seeing as he'd be in prison.
      It'd be flawed to know your date of death anyway. I'd just jump out of planes without parachutes and live seeing as it'd be before the date given.

Convicts can go crazy and kill people too. My point was just simply, that if someone knew they were going to die soon, they may resort to doing something amazing, or terrible.

I think if somebody tried to kill themselves before the date, something or someone would save them...you can't cheat death ;)

The post was edited 1 time, last by hannah63 ().