Any way to speed up PS3 updates?

• Any way to speed up PS3 updates?

I got a PS3 and a few games for it the other day, and every time I put a game in to play I'm bombarded by an insane amount of updates that take fucking forever. Gran Turismo 5 has taken me nearly two hours, and it's not even close to being done.

I did a test earlier, a one gig download on PS3 took me around 45 minutes. The same download on my Xbox took 6 minutes.

What gives? Is there a way around this, or is PS3 just this atrocious? I had this same problem when I had a PS3 two years ago, as well.
    • Re: Any way to speed up PS3 updates?

Ari Gold wrote:

I got a PS3 and a few games for it the other day, and every time I put a game in to play I'm bombarded by an insane amount of updates that take fucking forever. Gran Turismo 5 has taken me nearly two hours, and it's not even close to being done.

I did a test earlier, a one gig download on PS3 took me around 45 minutes. The same download on my Xbox took 6 minutes.

What gives? Is there a way around this, or is PS3 just this atrocious? I had this same problem when I had a PS3 two years ago, as well.

invest in a Solid State Hard Drive for the PS3.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Lets [COLOR="Red"]Rocket[/COLOR]!

Heather;1063056508 wrote:

One of the best members.

Best Friend;1063065528 wrote:

You are the best member.

fatal Intentions wrote:

I had my ps3 for a while, so I got all my updates gradually. try hooking it up with the internet and get the latest firmware update. this should save you the trouble of going trough them one by one.
      Yeah...I've done this, but each game still seems to have some updates. All slow as shit.

Andrew_Wiggin wrote:

invest in a Solid State Hard Drive for the PS3.
      Yeah, this won't really do anything for downloading. Might make games run a bit faster though I guess.

Duck wrote:

I have the same problem, updates and addon packs take fucking AGES despite having a decent internet connection 30mb/s, when I downloaded the maps for BF3 I just left it to run overnight :/

Btw what games do you play?
      Yeah. My connection is 50mb/s. Like I said above, my Xbox updates take 10 minutes at most so it can't be a connection problem. Urgh.

And so far I only have a few games, mainly older ones as they were really cheap. But...: Resistance 1+3, Killzone 2, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, Socom: Confrontation, Gran Turismo 5, Twisted Metal.

Got any recommendations? I prefer games that are exclusive to PS3, as my 360 is still my go-to console.

Best Friend wrote:

Ohh God, Gran Turismo 5 took me forever to download, have fun. May as well grab some popcorn while you wait, it's gonna be a while :/
      I know. It just finished. Timed it at 2 hours and 48 minutes total.

It's only because you've got it so late. Like I told you, GT5 gets updated like every fortnight so you're downloading hundreds of updates which have been done over time. Just start updates in the beginning of the day, turn your TV off and go outside and play until it's done :L
      Nearly every game which is very much loved is constantly updated. GT5 is still very popular with gamers so they're going to improve it whereas games like L.A Noire are not.
      [CENTER]Ask me a question[/CENTER]

la rubia loca wrote:

what is prolapse?
      is it like pro life?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hann. ().

I don't know about game updates, but for firmware updates, you can go to Sony's website and download the update to your PC, create a map in your USB drive with PS3 and then in there another map called UPDATE, the file always is PS3UPDAT.PUP and place that file into the UPDATE map in your USB drive. Go to the update setting and select "Update via Storage Media".

If that is also the problem, I hope I helped :)
      Opgekankert, jij!

Sometimes, you gotta put them deuces up.

I don't know about game updates, but for firmware updates, you can go to Sony's website and download the update to your PC, create a map in your USB drive with PS3 and then in there another map called UPDATE, the file always is PS3UPDAT.PUP and place that file into the UPDATE map in your USB drive. Go to the update setting and select "Update via Storage Media".

LOL way too much hassle. I'd prefer sitting on my ass for 5 hours waiting patiently!

la rubia loca wrote:

what is prolapse?
      is it like pro life?

Why the fuck do I need to install every game that I download? I don't get it

I think it shortens any loading times in the game. I believe it's optional on some games too.
      When it comes to GT5, all the downloading is the hundreds of updates they've made to the game throughout the years so it's worth doing them. It's also a way of storing all your games data in a way which it can be transferred to other consoles or even your laptop for other uses.

la rubia loca wrote:

what is prolapse?
      is it like pro life?