How to break up with a guya and stay friends?

• How to break up with a guya and stay friends?

So, I've been friends with this guy for about a year and about 5 months ago, we started dating. He's a nice guy, and I want to stay friends with him-honestly I do. He's a few years older than me, and the oddest person I've ever met. Very sarcastic, brilliant though. He's a typical Asperger's person really. Oblivious to surroundings, etc.
      So the story:
      We were friends, but when I met him I was dating someone else. I ended up breaking up with the other guy, and he was always asking how me and this other guy were doing. When I told him we weren't together anymore he ended up asked if I wanted to hang out. (He was very flirty at this point) We watched a movie at his house, and we ended up playing truth or dare. It was fairly normal questions and stuff, but then he dared me to kiss him on the cheek. I had a little crush on him, so I did. We hung out a few times after that, never exactly an official date but it was heading there. Then there was a dance, which I asked him if he wanted to go with me. He said he would be delighted, and we went. At the dance he put his arm around me and whatnot. After a few days he sent me a text asking if we were a "thing" as he put it. I said sounds good, he said yay, all that. We did a few things together afterwards; Kissed me, etc. He was really sweet, good morning texts and whatnot. The last time or two I was at his house he didn't tell his mom I was coming, and when my mom asked me his mom would be home, he told me she would be, which wasn't true. I'm a terrible liar, don't like people lying to me, so it made it really awkward for me. Plus he was pretty clear about wanting to have sex, which I didn't/don't, and told him so. He seemed to respect that decision, although he hinted at it afterwards often. But in the last few months we've hung out once, and that was when I initiated it.
      He won't respond to my text for days at a time, and then will end up responding like nothing happened. He has never actually said he likes me, so sometimes I get the feeling he's just lonely, as he doesn't have a lot of friends. My best friend saw him do some vulgar gesture behind my back(she won't tell me what it was), so she doesn't like him. My mom liked him at first but her opinion has gone down since then. Both of their opinions mean a lot to me, as well as my own instinct.
      I'm a logical person so I never expected to marry the guy or anything, never gotten too serious. Anyway....

I've had boyfriends in the past and have tried to stay friends, but that hasn't worked out. I truly want to stay friends with him, but I just don't feel the "spark"(as small as it was) anymore. I wasn't even sure I wanted to be more than friends to begin with. Plus I really want to concentrate on finishing school in the next few months, so I don't want this weighing down on me. So.. how can I break up with him? What will I tell him if he asks why? How can I stay friends? Is that even possible now? Thanks a bunch, and sorry for the length! All advice appreciated!