Cool to be wild...

• Re: Cool to be wild...

That is a stereotype, not all teens are this way. I do not think it is cool to be a rebel and I know very few teen that do. Being yourself is key, try not to hide who you are or be someone different. Kids that rebel are mostly doing it to impress someone else and the only thing it ends up doing is hurting themselves.

Being wild sometimes adds spice to life and breaking away from what is customary usually drives civilizations forward. That's what a rebel is being about, breaking new trails for the more humdrum lot of humanity to follow. It's not about wearing mohawks and having lots of body piercing just to spite our parents and other established forms of authority.

i know a lot of teens who are rebels including myself but it only happens sometimes when we are all hyper! too many E numbers! lol :p
      [CENTER][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=2]Courage is when you stand up for what's right, even if means being an outcast! [/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=3]=============[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Heh, heh... I've got body piercings too and my mom says they're cool, even gave me a diamond earing that lost it's partner. I've also cut my almost waist-length hair 3 years ago to go skinhead. But I've done those things to be different, not to rebel against my parents.

yeah, that's why i don't believe some of those gothics and emo people or the lesbians and gays. not to say that they aren't, i just think some of them turned because they think it's cool, but you never see them in action. i know when i got to highschool so many straight people and i dunno, "normal", for lack of a better word, all of a sudden came out and became gay and gothic. now there's no problem with that at all, i just think some of them were influenced and were not being true to themselves. Just like this christian girl i knew turned atheist when all her friends were atheist. people always want to rebel again the norms i guess, so whatever.

XkizoFreniaC wrote:

Right on the dot. Rules and norms exists for a reason and usually has something to do with not letting us hurt ourselves and others. True, they can be stiffling at times butit's better than letting chaos reign...

The alternative to conformity isn't chaos--it's being a true individual. Those who rebel just for the sake of rebelling are usually just being conformists in a veiled way--maybe they don't fit the mainstream "norms" but they're only conforming to their own little subcultures. I don't consider myself a rebel but I do consider myself a nonconformist. I follow rules and norms when I like them. When they are stupid or detrimental I forget them. A norm is nothing but a majority opinion.

My philosophy is to do what I want to do, period.
      And your very flesh shall be a great poem.
      -Walt Whitman

lin wrote:

yeah, that's why i don't believe some of those gothics and emo people or the lesbians and gays. not to say that they aren't, i just think some of them turned because they think it's cool, but you never see them in action. i know when i got to highschool so many straight people and i dunno, "normal", for lack of a better word, all of a sudden came out and became gay and gothic. now there's no problem with that at all, i just think some of them were influenced and were not being true to themselves. Just like this christian girl i knew turned atheist when all her friends were atheist. people always want to rebel again the norms i guess, so whatever.

Why is turning gay or atheist because it's "cool" rebelling against norms? Isn't is just blindly accepting a different norm?
      And your very flesh shall be a great poem.
      -Walt Whitman