LGBT school support group

• LGBT school support group

My Jr. High School has a LGBT support group that Im a member of :gay: and now I heard that some Middle Schools (6th, 7th and 8th grade) have started similar groups. The middle school that I went to has asked me to speak to their group and do a Q & A with the kids there. Anybody have advice?
      :gay:
    • corey_stratton wrote:

yeah i think thats the whole idea of this , its kinda experimental, they dont wanna just tell gay kids to shut up and dont ask questions, but its gonna be weird becuxz im really not much older than they are
      True but I think that's the idea? Nice that you'll try it, even if you can't answer every question!
      19, Twin.
    • Jake445 wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

yeah i think thats the whole idea of this , its kinda experimental, they dont wanna just tell gay kids to shut up and dont ask questions, but its gonna be weird becuxz im really not much older than they are
      True but I think that's the idea? Nice that you'll try it, even if you can't answer every question!
      yeah i think the idea is that kids our age will be more comfortable sharing feelings and ideas with somebody whos one of us, and not an adult,
    • corey_stratton wrote:

Jake445 wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

yeah i think the idea is that kids our age will be more comfortable sharing feelings and ideas with somebody whos one of us, and not an adult,
      That's definitely true, if there isn't an adult around they might feel comfortable enough to ask important but technically inappropriate questions.
      19, Twin.
    • Jake445 wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

Jake445 wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

That's definitely true, if there isn't an adult around they might feel comfortable enough to ask important but technically inappropriate questions.
      yeah maybe thats why im kinda nervous about what they might ask, im thinkin of when i was their age what i would ask if i had the chance, but i didnt have a support group until jr high and even then it was moderated by a teacher, so its not the same thing
    • We have a group at my highschool but not at the elementary school. I am not part of the one at my school yet but my bf and I have discussed it. Not a lot of people know about me being gay. As for the group, they are lucky to have you. Just go with the flow and I'm sure it will be okay. I doubt they are gonna ask sex specific and how to questions.
    • corey_stratton wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

yeah maybe thats why im kinda nervous about what they might ask, im thinkin of when i was their age what i would ask if i had the chance, but i didnt have a support group until jr high and even then it was moderated by a teacher, so its not the same thing
      You are not much older, but a year or two makes a huge difference. Think back to when you were 12. Or even 13. Did you think the same as now? Did you know as much as you know now?

I think Jake had a good point about 'inappropriate' questions. As nothing should be inappropriate in this setting, they should be able to ask anything. And I think your response needs to be completely open and honest even if it is uncomfortable for you, even if it is personal to you, even if it is something that in a different setting might be inappropriate. Although you do need to respect your own boundaries, so perhaps thinking in advance of where your boundaries are, might be helpful.
    • corey_stratton wrote:

Jake445 wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

Jake445 wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

I'm guessing there will be a teacher/adviser in the room with you so don't think it would get out of control. When I was in middle school we didn't have a group. Questions I might have asked would have been about how/when you knew, was it scary telling anyone and how did you decide to let people know. Seriously doubt there would be any questions related to sex or anatomy so I encourage you to participate. From your posts here I think you'll do a great job. Let us know how it goes
    • maseb wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

Jake445 wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

Jake445 wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

I'm guessing there will be a teacher/adviser in the room with you so don't think it would get out of control. When I was in middle school we didn't have a group. Questions I might have asked would have been about how/when you knew, was it scary telling anyone and how did you decide to let people know. Seriously doubt there would be any questions related to sex or anatomy so I encourage you to participate. From your posts here I think you'll do a great job. Let us know how it goes
      no thats the thing, im the moderator, theres no teacher there, they want them to fell they can talk about anything and wont have a teacher sayin, you cant say that, or you cant ask that. anyway, i dont really have to do it, i got till monday to say if i will, if i dont , theyll just ask a high school boy to moderate or whatever
    • corey_stratton wrote:

maseb wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

Jake445 wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

Jake445 wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

no thats the thing, im the moderator, theres no teacher there, they want them to fell they can talk about anything and wont have a teacher sayin, you cant say that, or you cant ask that. anyway, i dont really have to do it, i got till monday to say if i will, if i dont , theyll just ask a high school boy to moderate or whatever
      I understand why you might be hesitant with no teacher there, but if you decide to do it, you can moderate it yourself and if a question comes up you aren't comfortable asking just say that
    • mentallychaotic wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

You are not much older, but a year or two makes a huge difference. Think back to when you were 12. Or even 13. Did you think the same as now? Did you know as much as you know now?
      I think Jake had a good point about 'inappropriate' questions. As nothing should be inappropriate in this setting, they should be able to ask anything. And I think your response needs to be completely open and honest even if it is uncomfortable for you, even if it is personal to you, even if it is something that in a different setting might be inappropriate. Although you do need to respect your own boundaries, so perhaps thinking in advance of where your boundaries are, might be helpful.
      i met with the parents of the kids and they had to sign a permission form, but so far everybodys cool with it, i think theres gonna be 6 boys and me, three 13 year olds, and three 12 year olds i think. i think alotta of the topics will be bullying and stuff like that, and whatever they want to talk about or ask me about
    • corey_stratton wrote:

mentallychaotic wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

You are not much older, but a year or two makes a huge difference. Think back to when you were 12. Or even 13. Did you think the same as now? Did you know as much as you know now?I think Jake had a good point about 'inappropriate' questions. As nothing should be inappropriate in this setting, they should be able to ask anything. And I think your response needs to be completely open and honest even if it is uncomfortable for you, even if it is personal to you, even if it is something that in a different setting might be inappropriate. Although you do need to respect your own boundaries, so perhaps thinking in advance of where your boundaries are, might be helpful.
      i met with the parents of the kids and they had to sign a permission form, but so far everybodys cool with it, i think theres gonna be 6 boys and me, three 13 year olds, and three 12 year olds i think. i think alotta of the topics will be bullying and stuff like that, and whatever they want to talk about or ask me about
      I think you are brave for what you are doing. I always think bullying is such a shame in any area (I've been bullied due to my weight). The only thing I'd add to this (and probably for any other group of questions) is don't just let it be a one way street IE them asking you questions and you answering. There will be 7 of you, and as you say you are not much older. Even suggest topics and discuss things or even mention any issues you have had or still have. You could learn some stuff too!
    • corey_stratton wrote:

mentallychaotic wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

You are not much older, but a year or two makes a huge difference. Think back to when you were 12. Or even 13. Did you think the same as now? Did you know as much as you know now?I think Jake had a good point about 'inappropriate' questions. As nothing should be inappropriate in this setting, they should be able to ask anything. And I think your response needs to be completely open and honest even if it is uncomfortable for you, even if it is personal to you, even if it is something that in a different setting might be inappropriate. Although you do need to respect your own boundaries, so perhaps thinking in advance of where your boundaries are, might be helpful.
      Best of luck Corey! This is such a great thing for you to do for the younger kids. Wish my school had done something like this. Would love to hear how it goes if you feel like sharing
    • maseb wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

mentallychaotic wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

corey_stratton wrote:

Best of luck Corey! This is such a great thing for you to do for the younger kids. Wish my school had done something like this. Would love to hear how it goes if you feel like sharing
      yeah i dont know how much i can talk about outside of the group but i think id rather share what i can in private messages with people who are really interested in this, it feels safer and better that way
    • corey_stratton wrote:

Good luck with it, Corey! I am sure you'll do great