Mark's Story comments

• Mark's Story comments

Thanks @mentallychaotic

I thought I would write any replies to my other topic here instead of on its own page, because that topic is still not finished.

No, I didn't write it from my own knowledge, I think that would be too much for me to know! It's cut-and-pasted. But I thought a lot of people were spending time on this site a little bit bored so they can maybe read something that, I think, is pretty important. Some people were writing stuff about the Bible on the other topics and I wondered if many had read this small part of it.

It's interesting that you study Greek, that's good. I think there's a few words that the translators had to think hard about how to put it in English.
    • joannainthemiddle wrote:

It's interesting that you study Greek, that's good. I think there's a few words that the translators had to think hard about how to put it in English.
      I believe that the original Greek was translated directly to German (although, Old German) and Latin, before being translated to English. As far as I know, German and Latin were the only 2 direct translations before the English translation. The King James Bible was from German (and the translators re-named "Jacob" to "James" in honour of the king).

You are correct, that the translators had some trouble with various words and probably more trouble with idiomatic phrases. Studying Greek, A lot of that becomes more plain. The old testament had the same issue, although it was not originally in Greek obviously. One that stands out is "trasladare" which means 'transport or move' but was translated to English as "translate"... therefore in the KJ Bible, Enoch's city was translated, rather than moved/evacuated. I am sure that there are thousands of examples, so we must keep this in mind as we read. It definitely helps to have some training in the original language, or at least in the direct-translation languages.