Asking to hug

• Asking to hug

Hello. I've been with my girlfriend for about five and a half months now (14 and 13). We have a good emotional bond and our conversations are deep and intellectual. We hang out in person and stuff a lot but haven't done romantic physical contact or anything (she made it very clear she wasn't ready and didn't want any of that). A couple weeks ago we were texting and she told me that she thought she wanted to hold my hand or hug me if the time was right and other people weren't around since she's super shy. We had a really good conversation about boundaries, what we're comfortable with and consent among other stuff. We're still a little awkward in person and I don't know how something like "Can I hug you?" could ever come out of my mouth. We plan to hang out soon on school holidays and I know that's the time but I still need a bit of guidance. I don't know what to say or the right situation to say it in and I really want this but I'm petrified and don't know what to do. Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

- Aidan
    • I'd have the opposite problem. Stopping myself hugging someone I like. Yes hugging, holding hands and anything else can be a little nervous at first. But if you both know you want to :hugs: it no big deal

You hug to say 'hi', hug 'bye', and possibly hug when they do/say something that makes you :D <3

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • The others brought up good points so i'd listen to what they said..

That being said i think when you meet her just say hi, get close to her and touch her hand when you say something intimate or nice, maybe walk by her side and talk then slip your hand in hers and continue..

In terms of hugging, when she says she feels comfortable just try hugging her bye or just when you see her. Be gentle and make sure you're speaking confidently or maybe softly. Respect her boundaries and maybe say "we're both new to this but i really like you and doing this makes me happy and i hope you feel the same".