childhood friend

• childhood friend

Here's the deal:

I have a childhood friend (she's a girl) and I've known her since 3. We were friends but she has always preferred being with her other friends. There was a time, when I really believed that we are best friends because she was sitting next to me in class in primary school, shared everything with eachother, talked and meet up a lot. BUT, when we started secondary school, we went to different schools, so we drifted apart but during quarantine time we bonded again, after that school made us drift apart AGAIN. Now, we don't really chat, sometimes we meet. She's really annoying because during online school she asked me to do her English homework all the time, now she can't even ask how am I doing. When we meet after a long time, she constantly using her phone, chatting with somebody. We don't have nothing in common now. She always talking about boys, how many does she hook up with, etc... Her behaviour is b*tchy, doesn't care about my life, my experiences, nothing.
      Last time, she really did hurt me. There was a party and I went with my other best-friend, she went to the bathroom. That was when I saw this old friend of mine, she came with one of her new friend. I went there to say hello, asked "what's up?'' and she was like: "nothing" turned her head away and continued her conversation.
      Another thing I realised with her is that I think she is ashamed of knowing me. For instance, when she is with other friends, she always sending a snapchat pic to everybody but when she's with me: NEVER EVER.
      I feel insecure because maybe she thinks that I'm not as beautiful as she or my behaviour is not 'cool'.
      I also feel that she talks to me when she needs somebody, and none of her friends are there. I'm like a lame back-up plan.
      On the other hand, it would be a mean thing from me if I cut her out from my life? Since we have been always friends... I was thinking about not picking up the phone or not text back her never again.

What do you think of it? What should I do?
      Just want to make some friends. Feel free to text me! <3
    • People drift apart all the time. And sometimes they come back together, but not always. I have friends from middle school and even high school that I rarely see or talk to anymore. But I also have quite a few who I keep in touch with regularly and I try to see them when I can.

You just have to decide how much effort you want to put into this relationship...because it doesn't sound like she is putting in much at all. So why should you? I don't think it would be a terrible thing to just kind of drop her for a while and focus on your relationships with your other friends.
    • I think that it's time to move on. BlackParadePixie is right. Sometimes people drift apart. It happens (I knew people in elementary school that I considered to be friends at the time that I practically never saw by the time I hit high school). You don't need to "cut" the person out of your life, but you also don't need to go out of your way to try to be her BFF either. If you find yourselves together, be polite to each other, engage in small talk as appropriate, but you don't need to go beyond that. (So treat her as you would any other casual acquaintance.)