Crush on someone while studying abroad

• Crush on someone while studying abroad

Hey, so I would need some advice about this guy I met abroad. I'm currently studying abroad for a semester and have met a few really nice people. There is this guy in particular I met about 3 weeks ago I'm interested in. We talked a few times, but I'm not that close to him I guess. He rarely looks at me in the eye, especially if there are other people around, I feel like he's going to look more at other people than me. I caught him a few times looking at me when I wasn't, and every time, he immediately adverted his eyes before I could smile at him. I thought that maybe he felt uncomfortable with me, but yesterday, I texted our groupchat to ask if they wanted to hang out with me, and he was the only person to reply. Another person ended up joining us, but at first I kinda thought it would be the two of us only since nobody else had replied. But even so, he barely looked at me yesterday and seemed more at ease with the other girl (she's asexual and aromantic btw). Still, I suggested we hugged before we parted ways, and surprisingly, his hug was quite firm, and maybe it was just my imagination but he didn't release me immediately? Like usually, when I would hug the others goodbye, it would last only 2 seconds, but this wasn't really the case with him. So I don't really know if I even stand a chance with him, should I still try to get closer to him ?