Old-fashioned physical education uniform at school

• Old-fashioned physical education uniform at school

In school in assembly last week we were watching some old footage from the school. There were some clips from some old PE lessons in the 80s and it was very funny seeing the uniform as it was different to what is normal today. Girls were wearing leotard-like costumes and leggings. And the boys had to go shirtless and just wear shorts, even in mixed lessons with girls! Some of the boys seemed to think that was quite awkward when we talked about it afterwards.

How do you think you would have found this old style of kit? Do you think it would be practical, or embarrassing or unfair? Did anyone here have to wear a kit they found awkward or embarrassing?
    • We have required shorts and shirts for gym, but sometimes when playing ball, one team takes shirts off. Or sometimes they just put colored jerseys over their shirts to show which team. Having no shirt does not bother me at all, boys in my family go without shirts all the time. But some boys at school are really shy about being shirtless.

Being shirtless for PE like the old uniforms, would be good. My shirt is usually soaked with sweat by the end of PE. Girls in leotards... I could definitely go for that.
    • InquisitiveIguana wrote:

migo3864 wrote:

Being shirtless for PE like the old uniforms, would be good. My shirt is usually soaked with sweat by the end of PE. Girls in leotards... I could definitely go for that.
      So you think it would be reasonable for schools to require that of the boys as the uniform? And you wouldn't mind it, even in a class with girls?
      I would not mind it, no. I don't really care about being shirtless in front of girls. I don't think the school could actually require that here, someone would get upset about it I'm sure. But it wouldn't bother me.

pahern0317 wrote:

We also play without shirts sometimes in pe. In basketball games we have shirts and skins
      I see. How is that? Awkward or normal? Are there ever girls around when you do that?
      I go to an all boys school so girls are not a factor. But I am also shirtless out of school a lot during warm weather. The only awkward parts of pickup basketball or baseball games is getting picked close to last. I worry about that a heck of a lot more then what I am wearing or not wearing.
    • Watching old footage of PE lessons from the 80s must have been quite amusing! The difference in uniform certainly reflects how much things have changed over the years.
      I think it's safe to say that the old-style kit would be considered quite impractical and possibly embarrassing by today's standards. It's great that we now have more comfortable and functional options for physical education. Having to wear leotards and leggings or go shirtless in mixed lessons might indeed make some students feel awkward.
      Personally, I'm grateful for the evolution of PE uniforms. It's essential that students feel comfortable and confident during physical education classes, and modern uniforms better serve that purpose. While change can sometimes be uncomfortable, it often leads to improvements that benefit everyone in the long run.

In school in assembly last week we were watching some old footage from the school. There were some clips from some old PE lessons in the 80s and it was very funny seeing the uniform as it was different to what is normal today. Girls were wearing leotard-like costumes and leggings. And the boys had to go shirtless and just wear shorts, even in mixed lessons with girls! Some of the boys seemed to think that was quite awkward when we talked about it afterwards.

How do you think you would have found this old style of kit? Do you think it would be practical, or embarrassing or unfair? Did anyone here have to wear a kit they found awkward or embarrassing?
      Did they have to wear shorts and go shirtless in winter too ? Or when it was cold or rain ?

Also I dont mind being shirtless in front of girls, I already do that at the beach or the swimming pool

I wouldn't mind if certain girls went shirtless too :lol: :lol: :lol: :ninja2:
    • My HS had a School Two Color Reversal T shirt, was more or less the Required (Some what) Uniform, Shorts where yours, IF you forgot your School T, they would have cheap cotton over pennies you could put over your shirt.

I think you lost one point per time if the two sided shirt was needed and you had to use the pennies, But doubt it was done, PE Teachers would post on the locker room door that the two sided were required for that class (You could also grab one out of the Lost and Found most of the time also)