Multi gender bathrooms

• I think it would be kinda weird. I wouldn't want boys getting a chance of seeing me ;( (or getting in there private space)

I don't think boys and girls bathroom times would work together :lol: and we wouldn't be able to have girl (or boy) talks in private

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • Many times people don't even understand what it means. A lot of times when businesses say they are installing multi gender bathrooms, the public freaks out, but what the business actually means us they are installing single use bathrooms that lock and either gender can use. Those are very popular. Work well. And are no biggie. The only real downside is only one person can use it so it's sort of a waste of space. Long lines can develop. I've seen kids come out of them with 2 or more people. Probably doing drugs or having sex.

I have a hard time thinking a true male/female bathroom would work. One with multiple stalls and multiple urinals that both any gender can use at any time. You would almost need a monitor. And a monitor standing there would be sort of creepy. Bathroom attendants are creepy too imo. But whenever I read about them, the people say these work (usually, or always, in Europe). Obviously they must not be locker rooms. I definitely can't imagine males and females showering together.
    • it could work if you had proper strong doors like this

But the reality is it would be like this

With horny teen boys (and girls) trying to look over and under. Doors that probably don't close (most the time I'd need to put my bag against the door to close it). And probably isn't going to be even that clean. Quite often the floors would be wet and covered in toilet paper and other rubbish even in separate rooms (and boys tend to be a little messier.

The one major problem. Would you feel safe if you were going in alone with a group of the opposite sex in there? Quite often bathroom's can be the safe place girls (and probably boys) can get away from someone creepy of the opposite gender, at clubs, schools or other public places, if they can follow you in ;( it's a space you could be alone with them, with no one around to stop them doing anything they want

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • Gabraham247 wrote:

Many times people don't even understand what it means. A lot of times when businesses say they are installing multi gender bathrooms, the public freaks out, but what the business actually means us they are installing single use bathrooms that lock and either gender can use. Those are very popular. Work well. And are no biggie. The only real downside is only one person can use it so it's sort of a waste of space....
      Many places already have rooms of this sort, i.e. that are self-contained with a commode, a sink, mirror, hand-dryer etc, as it is generally how bathrooms for people with a disability are provided and, in many cases, it is a legal requirement to provide those. They seem to work for people with a disability and they also work in the home environment where many houses have fewer bathrooms than people and where the house builders can't predict how many people of each sex will live there.

I am also not sure there is much wasted space compared to bathrooms with lots of stalls. These still need sinks to wash hands and single-occupancy rooms don't all have to be as big as those for people with a disability. The only time I think there is a saving from multi-occupancy rooms is urinals for the guys which, especially if they are auto-flushing, can be higher throughput which may be important if people are drinking and all need the bathroom during, for example, the half-time break at a sporting event.

The single-occupancy rooms also solve the issue of having a safe space, i.e. somewhere someone can go and feel like they are not going to be walked in on or attacked, though the latter is probably much rarer than people imagine.

So, on one level, these do solve the issue of people being sensitive about trans people being in the "wrong" bathroom where not everyone agrees whether it is the gender someone feels or identifies with that should determine the right bathroom, the genitals they have, or their sex assigned at birth.

But, while they solve the issue of a safe place for private functions, they don't provide a space for people of the same gender to talk, away from the opposite gender. Probably bathrooms aren't the right space for that anyway, but it means we maybe need to give consideration to public rooms that are restricted to people of a single gender and the trends has been the other way.
    • Some people could be ready for it and mature enough about it too. Then it wouldn't be weird.

Some people are sure to be weird about such stuff, but using it just to look, they'd have to get naked too. And that is where some creepers and weirdos might pass and decide not to come anyway.
      "Comedy is like sex. If they haven't made a noise in a while, change what you're doing" - Sara Pascoe
    • gmckinney wrote:

i've never been in one but it'll be weird to walk up into one and end up seeing a guy peeing in a urinal, I would be so uncomfortable and turned on and run away...
      The awnser to that is to just not look at people or the bathrooms could be oriented without urinals to include less possibility of such events accreing
    • I could see it working just fine. Regardless if mixed or not every bathroom should have real doors not stalls with massive gaps! You could put urinals in a stall too so everyone can use what they want in private.

I'm probably biased though because I grew up sharing a bedroom and bathroom with a girl, plus I never felt the need to hide in the bathroom from someone at school etc.
      19, Twin.
    • Jake445 wrote:

I could see it working just fine. Regardless if mixed or not every bathroom should have real doors not stalls with massive gaps! You could put urinals in a stall too so everyone can use what they want in private.

I'm probably biased though because I grew up sharing a bedroom and bathroom with a girl, plus I never felt the need to hide in the bathroom from someone at school etc.
      Same. Also grew up with 2 sisters, sharing a bathroom. Plus I've been at several games and concerts when girls have stormed into men's restroom to use them because line from girls restroom was too long (even happened once just because the girls were bored and curious and drunk and used the urinals which was interesting and pretty hot). So saying all that, it could work. But I just know hot gross and crude and creepy a certain percentage of guys are.
    • Bellu wrote:

Also what the actual hell why did girls get drunk and storm the bathroom to piss in a urinal
      The getting drunk is probably because that is something people like to do, especially at festivals and the like.

As for using the men's bathroom, probably a mix of frustration at how long they would have to wait to the use the ladies bathroom and a lack of inhibition from being drunk.

I don't believe there is anything inate about being modest, either in the sense of preferring to stay clothed or at least have our genitals covered by clothing, or in preferring to go to the toilet in private. Instead it is something we are taught, even if not consciously, as toddlers and some cultures are notably more modest than others. Then, from nursery, Kindergarten, primary school etc. we learn about single-sex facilities and which ones to use.

I went camping in France and the toilets on site had a single room for both sexes with one urinal and four cubicles with squat type toilets rather than the commode I am more accustomed to. Obviously the French don't see that as anything odd. I also stumbled on a film on TV, historical, I think, which featured a French village in which there was a old-style, multi-person urinal in the street. The French version is asymmetric in that French boys and men seem not to be concerned about being seen pissing and French girls and women simply look the other way if they would rather not see, while girls and women do have some privacy.

Back to music festivals and the like, it seems that every public event that has a large gathering of people drinking has a problem with too little female toilet provision. Do they devote the same amount of space to each sex? Or the same number of urinals/commodes? Whatever the explanation, the guys rarely have to queue and certainly not long, while the girls often face long queues.

At Glastonbury, there were people selling something called, IIRC, PeeMate, which is a little plastic funnel type device that makes it easier for females to use a urinal, or indeed pee onto the ground, without having to get undressed, i.e. through the opening of a pair of trousers, just as the guys do.

I also had the experience of women coming into the men's, but as all the urinals were in use they were using the stall so I didn't get the same spectacle that Gabraham did.
    • Pultost wrote:

Bellu wrote:

Just wanna chime in girls can be creepy to
      Also what the actual hell why did girls get drunk and storm the bathroom to piss in a urinal
      When being drunk enough, doing weird shit may seem like a good idea at the time. xD
      This. In replying to @Bellu and @Pultost and @Sean2001 Imo I think girls have earned themselves the benefit of the doubt. Girls can definitely act drunk and out of control and definitely even pervy. But due to how SOME CERTAIN guys act, more guys are creepy than girls. It may be slightly hypothetical to say, but I think most time girls are in the boys room, it's just to pee. Boys going into the girls room seems a bit creepy imo. Simply cuz the lines are usually shorter. And guys even if they just start as being Percy go too far and get creepy. Not always, but sometimes. These girls that came into the boys room were definitely drunk and pervy, but never got creepy. Of course, boys have a different standard of being creepy. To me, peeing in public and watching someone pee in public is not creepy, It's funny. But I know others who don't think its funny. Especially storming a bathroom, which I would never do, and idk why girls would think it's acceptable unless they were drunk or simply think all boys think it's ok
    • Gabraham247 wrote:

....It may be slightly hypothetical to say, but I think most time girls are in the boys room, it's just to pee. Boys going into the girls room seems a bit creepy imo.

Certainly, while girls stand to wait less time by using the guys' bathroom the same is not true the other way round so you would have to assume guys in the girls' bathroom have some other motive.

Gabraham247 wrote:

...Of course, boys have a different standard of being creepy. To me, peeing in public and watching someone pee in public is not creepy, It's funny. But I know others who don't think its funny. Especially storming a bathroom, which I would never do, and idk why girls would think it's acceptable unless they were drunk or simply think all boys think it's ok

When you say "a different standard of creepy" are you talking about guys behaving differently from girls or reacting differently from guys? I think it was here we had a similar discussion about, if a guy masturbates thinking about a girl, unless she is giving some sign that she is into him, it would be a bad idea for the guy to tell the girl that as it would probably creep her out. Some guys felt the same way, i.e. they wouln't want to hear that a girl masturbates thinking of them but some would be fine with it. Personally, I would take it as a compliment. If I am not into her I may thank her for the compliment but otherwise not persue it but that is not the same as being creeped out.

So I think guys would, in general, be less concerned about girls in their bathrooms than the other way round. It can be a bit strange, if we're been brought up to be strict about sexual segregation and privacy, but in general we don't feel threatened. We don't fear that, if a girl should see our penis while we pee, she will suddenly be overcome with desire, and, unable to control herself, will pin us against the wall, strip us and not take no for an answer. Maybe that is partly about physical strength and partly because girls just don't have a reputation for behaving like that.
    • Ya @Sean2001i think some of it has to do with fear and reputation and power and history and ALL of that. Many girls seeing boys in a girls restroom or hearing that a bit was thinking about her while masturbating will lean to thinking the worst case scenario (when it could be taken as a compliment or just meh or nothing). And switch the scenario, A boy likely may very well lean to thinking the best and taking it as a compliment (when instead it could be nothing or a creepy girl).