Nightly prayer

• Nightly prayer

I often wondered how many of people say a nightly prayer before going to bed. Ever since I was little I can remember my mom teaching me the Lord's prayer.. ( Now I lay me down to sleep I pray the Lord my soul to keep if I should die before I wake God bless Mommy, Daddy little brother My Love to Keep ) after all these years it gives me peace at nights to pray before going to sleep. My question to you is how many of you say a prayer and find peace before going to bed? :love1:
      :jmp:
    • I don't really say a prayer before I go to sleep. I don't have the patience to do it but I think it's good if you do it. I don't know if prayer asking for something particular will work - I think it's just better to have a little word with God sometimes and keep friendly with him.
    • joannainthemiddle wrote:

I don't really say a prayer before I go to sleep. I don't have the patience to do it but I think it's good if you do it. I don't know if prayer asking for something particular will work - I think it's just better to have a little word with God sometimes and keep friendly with him.
      It give me a little piece of mind to sleep comfortably at night. The only thing I ask for is God to bless my loved ones if I shall die before I wake .
    • But that's not the prayer that's usually known as the Lord's Prayer. The Lord's Prayer is what Jesus tells his followers when Jesus is up on a mountain. It's in the part of the Bible called 'Matthew', Chapter 6.

Jesus sat on a mountain with his followers all around him, and he told them:

'When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; they love to say their prayers standing up in synagogue and at the street-corners, for everyone to see them. I tell you this: they have their reward already. But when you pray, go into a room by yourself, shut the door, and pray to your Father who is there in the secret place; and your Father who sees what is secret will reward you.

'In your prayers do not go babbling on like the heathen, who imagine that the more they say the more likely they are to be heard. Do not imitate them. Your Father knows what your needs are before you ask him.

'This is how you should pray:

"Our Father in heaven,
      Thy name be hallowed,
      Thy kingdom come,
      Thy will be done,
      On earth as in heaven.
      Give us today our daily bread.
      Forgive us the wrong we have done,
      As we have forgiven those who have wronged us.
      And do not bring us to the test,
      But save us from the evil one."

For if you forgive others the wrongs they have done, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; but if you do not forgive others, then the wrongs you have done will not be forgiven by your Father.'

But that's not the prayer that's usually known as the Lord's Prayer. The Lord's Prayer is what Jesus tells his followers when Jesus is up on a mountain. It's in the part of the Bible called 'Matthew', Chapter 6.

'When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; they love to say their prayers standing up in synagogue and at the street-corners, for everyone to see them. I tell you this: they have their reward already. But when you pray, go into a room by yourself, shut the door, and pray to your Father who is there in the secret place; and your Father who sees what is secret will reward you.

'In your prayers do not go babbling on like the heathen, who imagine that the more they say the more likely they are to be heard. Do not imitate them. Your Father knows what your needs are before you ask him.

"Our Father in heaven,
      Thy name be hallowed,
      Thy kingdom come,
      Thy will be done,
      On earth as in heaven.

For if you forgive others the wrongs they have done, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; but if you do not forgive others, then the wrongs you have done will not be forgiven by your Father.'
      I stand as correct thank you for correcting me. But as a child and a little I was taught the shorter version. Now I lay me down to sleep
    • I'm not really religious, kinda for reasons been put of it by people. Though I completely accept people who do believe in it

Though from primary school during assemblies we used to have prayers (I've really no idea why we do ?( some reason to do with the government) but I can still remember us saying the Lords prayer so many times. (how many versions are there?)

Our Father, who art in heaven,
      hallowed be thy name;
      thy kingdom come;
      thy will be done;
      on earth as it is in heaven.
      Give us this day our daily bread.
      And forgive us our trespasses,
      as we forgive those who trespass against us.
      And lead us not into temptation;
      but deliver us from evil.
      For thine is the kingdom,
      the power and the glory,
      for ever and ever.

Amen.

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • Barbra wrote:

joannainthemiddle wrote:

But that's not the prayer that's usually known as the Lord's Prayer. The Lord's Prayer is what Jesus tells his followers when Jesus is up on a mountain. It's in the part of the Bible called 'Matthew', Chapter 6.

"Our Father in heaven,
      Thy name be hallowed,
      Thy kingdom come,
      Thy will be done,
      On earth as in heaven.

I stand as correct thank you for correcting me. But as a child and a little I was taught the shorter version. Now I lay me down to sleep
      It's not incorrect I think it's great that you do pray and I wish I could do it every night but I'm usually so tired I just go to sleep. But when people talk about the Lord's Prayer they usually mean the one I wrote about x

Barbra wrote:

joannainthemiddle wrote:

"Our Father in heaven,
      Thy name be hallowed,
      Thy kingdom come,
      Thy will be done,
      On earth as in heaven.

It's not incorrect I think it's great that you do pray and I wish I could do it every night but I'm usually so tired I just go to sleep. But when people talk about the Lord's Prayer they usually mean the one I wrote about x
      I do go to church and know the Lord's Prayer, mom taught me as a little girl and my little brother is what I call the child's version. Now I lay me down to sleep I pray the Lord my soul to keep if I should die before I wake God bless Mommy, Daddy, little brother and so on.
    • No, I don't pray, as I don't believe it is necessary.

Either god doesn't exist (and in that case, it is useless to pray); or he does, but in that case (and supposing he's as described in the Bible), he knows very well what's in my heart and my mind, and doesn't need me to say it out 'loud'.

I don't really believe in god myself. I try to follow most of the philosophy of Jesus though, simply because I think it is a very good one.
    • Barbra wrote:

I often wondered how many of people say a nightly prayer before going to bed. Ever since I was little I can remember my mom teaching me the Lord's prayer.. ( Now I lay me down to sleep I pray the Lord my soul to keep if I should die before I wake God bless Mommy, Daddy little brother My Love to Keep ) after all these years it gives me peace at nights to pray before going to sleep. My question to you is how many of you say a prayer and find peace before going to bed? :love1:
      We are catholic and we go to church but I dont do this. My cousins and uncle do though