Guy Periods?

• I'm sure boys can get down about stuff, but it isn't anything like girls having periods (there are so many different physical, emotional and hormonal stuff involved)

Maybe if you spend a lot of time with a girl (like a family member or girlfriend) you get to feel her emotions with her in a way (or maybe us just being moody gets you down :lol: )

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • I'm not a girl but I don't think it's fair to water down a girl's period to being a "down time of the month or something like that". A period is so much more. Being down, feeling down, feeling sad, feeling anxious, and all forms of mental illness are real and can happen one day a month, A few days a month, or every day each month. I highly recommend those who feel like they need to talk to a therapist to do so.
    • (From a medical journal)

Male Hormones: How Does the Male Cycle Work?

Hormones are not a woman's thing. Men are also influenced by hormones. Accordingly, there is not only one female cycle. Men also go through a hormone cycle. The decisive difference in the male cycle: In men, this cycle does not last 28, but only one day. Within 24 hours, a man's testosterone levels change several times, and with them his mood and behavior.
      morning:

Around six in the morning, male cortisol levels and testosterone levels rise sharply, providing a real boost of energy. The morning is therefore the most productive time for men.
      afternoon:

The hormone high lasts until noon and then slowly decreases again. Men therefore become calmer and more relaxed in the afternoon.
      at evening:

Testosterone levels are at their lowest point, but oxytocin production is increasing. The result: men get tired and prepare for sleep unless testosterone production is boosted again, through alcohol, sex, exercise, or other activities.

• I did ask a question that is related to this in another post: Variations in horniness by sex? but, while the response from the guys was interesting, there were too few responses from the girls to learn much there.

As this question is wider that just horniness, I would say the same is true for my general mood as for horniness in that it is mostly constant. There can be odd days when I am not as enthusiastic or energetic and there are also odd days when I feel extra horny but again that is normally reasonably constant.

I haven't noticed anything to suggest there is a monthly cycle involved but that is mainly because I have not kept any kind of diary. Girls obviously spot that mood charges that are due to hormones are aligned to their cycle because they have to be prepared for it.

It may be interesting to try to keep some kind of record, though I am quite bad at that. There is ongoing research into part of the brain called the hypothalamus, especially certain regions of that and it is known that some of these regions differ between male and female appearing to have been made to develop as the male version in a boy fetus by testosterone prior to birth.

Before awareness of transsexuality increased, people tended to think of anything to do with sexual differentiation as binary, i.e. parts develop as one or the other but with these parts of the brain it may be a question of degree. It has already been suggested that a failure of some parts of the hypothalamus to develop as the male version is what leads people assigned male at birth to later identify as female, because the critical part of the brain responsible for gender identity effectively is female, even though the rest of the body isn't. A equivalent is likely to be true for FTM transsexuals though the brain developing to the male pattern in an otherwise female body seems to be less common. Then, if this development is a question of degree rather than all or nothing, that may account for why some people have a really strong gender identity and others less so. This part of the brain also seems to be involved in sexual behaviour and variations there may also account for different sexual orientations.

So, back to a monthly cycle, it may be possible that some guys do have a weak cycle if the part of the brain controlling hormone balance is a bit in between, but I am not aware of anyone researching this. Does anyone else with more reliable habits feel like keeping a diary and then report back?

Finally, I do think we can be responsive to those around us. I suspect, for example, that extra horny days are when a girl or girls I come into contact with are at the most fertile part of the cycle. Then, general positive and negative moods are probably transferrable between people to a certain extent.
    • naturelover-VT wrote:

(From a medical journal)

Male Hormones: How Does the Male Cycle Work?

Hormones are not a woman's thing. Men are also influenced by hormones. Accordingly, there is not only one female cycle. Men also go through a hormone cycle. The decisive difference in the male cycle: In men, this cycle does not last 28, but only one day. Within 24 hours, a man's testosterone levels change several times, and with them his mood and behavior.
      morning:

Around six in the morning, male cortisol levels and testosterone levels rise sharply, providing a real boost of energy. The morning is therefore the most productive time for men.
      afternoon:

The hormone high lasts until noon and then slowly decreases again. Men therefore become calmer and more relaxed in the afternoon.
      at evening:

Testosterone levels are at their lowest point, but oxytocin production is increasing. The result: men get tired and prepare for sleep unless testosterone production is boosted again, through alcohol, sex, exercise, or other activities.
      So the female cycle is every 30 days and the male cycle (in theory) is every 24 hours. Interesting.

Makes definitely don't have menses. Idk if period is the correct term either. I suppose Male Hormone Cycle makes sense. I still think Its fair to say men have periods. It's no surprise that male hormones affect males. And I the study was a very interesting read. It essentially explains why we have morning wood.
    • Gabraham247 wrote:

So the female cycle is every 30 days and the male cycle (in theory) is every 24 hours. Interesting.
      Makes definitely don't have menses. Idk if period is the correct term either. I suppose Male Hormone Cycle makes sense. I still think Its fair to say men have periods. It's no surprise that male hormones affect males. And I the study was a very interesting read. It essentially explains why we have morning wood.
      To be pedantic, period refers to a length of time and something that happens repeatedly according to some time delay between each occurrence is periodic, hence talking about periodic waveforms. So using the term period for one specific thing, menses, that is periodic is bordering on a euphemism. But, while you may technically be right in applying the word to a guy's variation in testosterone each day, you're likely to be met with confused looks if you do.