Do you ever get comments on your eating habits?

• Do you ever get comments on your eating habits?

Do people ever tell you to eat more (or less)? I'm a notoriously slow eater, and often can't eat that much in one sitting (I seem to get full very quickly). And being skinny or underweight most of my life meant that people (my parents, friends) would often tell me to eat more or comment on how I need to gain weight. I know they don't mean anything negative by it, and I realize that parents are naturally concerned that their child isn't eating enough, but I'm doing the best I can. X/

Anyone else with similar issues or can relate to the comments from others?
    • No I don’t I can eat loads but don’t really gain much weight, I’m not under weight either, I guess if your not hungry then you can’t eat much more than you can, as stupid as it sounds a Big Mac meal consists of 1015 calories which isn’t very filling compared to 1015 calories of broccoli but nobody is going to eat that much broccoli, certain foods fill you up more
    • Sometimes I can eat a lot and sometimes not so much. No one will comment about that. But I often hear that I am very "Lady-like" when I eat.
      I make sure the same people see me eating hot dogs with ketchup running down my fingers
      "Comedy is like sex. If they haven't made a noise in a while, change what you're doing" - Sara Pascoe
    • I did have my gran who'd be asking us if we wanted any more to eat, then a few minutes later saying "don't eat too much we don't want you to be sick" :S

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • Oh yes, I've gotten similar/the same comments for as long as I can remember. Less so from family or friends, but from like classmates and teachers. Though those were usually not too bad, more curiosity and maybe some concern. What annoyed me the most were those judgy looks from others in restaurants. It got so bad I couldn't eat in front of strangers at all, refusing to eat out in restaurants.

Also got A LOT of lectures about adding meats to my diet as surely being vegetarian is the reason I am underweight. I was until recently when I finally reached healthy weight. I'm still super skinny, but my diet wasn't the reason. I have a stomach acid deficiency and since taking supplements, I can digest food better and started to gain weight slowly with the same food intake.

I hope you're not too worried about those comments, @HeyCameron. Even though you say you know they mean well, it still can be hurtful. We have a saying in German that - as far as I know - has no similar saying in English. It translates to: good intentions are the opposite of good. It implies that the one being well-intentioned is the one benefiting, not necessarily the one the good intentions are aimed at.
    • migo3864 wrote:

My parents are the opposite. They tell me to slow down, to stop inhaling my food. I don't really think about how much I eat, because there is always plenty of food. But I do tend to eat fast.
      I tend to eat quick too because at school they tell us all the time to hurry because other students are waiting. I often get told to slow down by my parents
      Mum also tells me to eat less desserts and less sugared stuff :ninja2:
    • I actually called out a friend on this issue recently.

He'd made yet another comment about me not eating anything and the all-you-can-eat restaurant not being worth it, and I effectively snapped at him. I told him that I don't want to hear his commentary about how much I eat anymore, that I'd already previously told him that all-you-can-eat is not compatible with me and I go because he's my friend and I want to hang out with him but I'd rather do something else. He seemed to have no idea how much his comments bothered me and he said he wouldn't do so again.

Not that this has too much to do with it, but he is Asian, and he is from a family where they cook a ton of food and split it evenly among everyone, if you don't eat a huge amount, it's seen as rude. That is not how I was raised, and I think that was at least part of the clash between us. But I'd been staying silent about it and I found it was much better to tell the truth.