Am I the only one who...

• Am I the only one who...

... who gets a sudden headache when I eat an icecream too quick ? Is my brain freezing or something ? Last time was this week with a milkshake in a fast food I wont name, in which I'm not even sure that there actually was milk...but there sure was crushed ice. It hurt like hell for like 30 seconds.

@HannahW @BJade
      You of all people, who know a lot about scientific facts, do you have explaination on this ?

Thanks
    • @Dracaufeu

Brain freeze, or an ice cream headache, is technically known as cold neuralgia or sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia.

When you eat or drink a large quantity of very cold food or liquid, the temperature in your palate (the roof of your mouth) drops significantly and abruptly. To counter this, and to maintain your body’s core temperature, the blood vessels in the affected area automatically constrict. The ‘brain freeze’ pain comes when your blood vessels open up again. This is called ‘rebound dilation’ and it triggers a pain signal to be sent to the brain through a nerve called the trigeminal nerve, which extends into the forehead.

Migraine sufferers have a higher likelihood of experiencing brain freeze. However, in the vast majority of people, brain freeze headaches last no more than two or three minutes.

The best remedy for a brain freeze headache is to remove the cold food or drink from your mouth, and press your tongue or your thumb against the roof of your mouth.
    • HannahW wrote:

@Dracaufeu

Brain freeze, or an ice cream headache, is technically known as cold neuralgia or sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia.

When you eat or drink a large quantity of very cold food or liquid, the temperature in your palate (the roof of your mouth) drops significantly and abruptly. To counter this, and to maintain your body’s core temperature, the blood vessels in the affected area automatically constrict. The ‘brain freeze’ pain comes when your blood vessels open up again. This is called ‘rebound dilation’ and it triggers a pain signal to be sent to the brain through a nerve called the trigeminal nerve, which extends into the forehead.

Migraine sufferers have a higher likelihood of experiencing brain freeze. However, in the vast majority of people, brain freeze headaches last no more than two or three minutes.

The best remedy for a brain freeze headache is to remove the cold food or drink from your mouth, and press your tongue or your thumb against the roof of your mouth.
    • Dracaufeu wrote:

HannahW wrote:

@Dracaufeu

Drinking water helps relieve it too, works great for me