God doesn't like (x)

• God doesn't like (x)

So im seeing some familiy today and my (VERY CHRISTIAN) aunt and cousin got into a debate about some random news story (its not really important but i think it was about how phone use causes mental health issues). My aunt was makeing the point that God didnt like how young people did things on the internet. My cousin pointed out that it didnt make sense for God to dislike something because He is powerfull enough to change anything He doesnt appreciate. I thought this was a very inresting argument against a lot of Christian principles I hadnt really considered until now. In most situations wouldn't it make sense for God to just stop the "sin" instead of passing vague cryptic messages to human? What are your opinions?
    • As far as I understand Christianity, which isn't very far, we as humans have been given free will. The choice to do right or wrong. If god just stopped everyone from sinning, there really wouldn't be any point to choose whether or not to follow god, or whatever religion of faith you choose to practice or not practice.
    • Then again you have this gem from the late great Christopher Hitchens...

"I am born under a celestial dictatorship which I could not have had any hand in choosing. I don't put myself under its government. I am told that it can watch me while I sleep. I'm told that it can convict me of—here's the definition of totalitarianism—thought crime, for what I think I may be convicted and condemned. And that if I commit a right action, it's only to evade this punishment and if I commit a wrong action, I'm going to be caught up not just with punishment in life for what I've done which often follows axiomatically, but, no, even after I'm dead. In the Old Testament, gruesome as it is, recommending as it is of genocide, racism, tribalism, slavery, genital mutilation, in the displacement and destruction of others, terrible as the Old Testament gods are, they don't promise to punish the dead. There's no talk of torturing you after the earth has closed over the Amalekites. Only toward when gentle Jesus, meek and mild, makes his appearance are those who won't accept the message told they must depart into everlasting fire. Is this morality, is this ethics? I submit not only is it not, not only does it come with the false promise of vicarious redemption, but it is the origin of the totalitarian principle which has been such a burden and shame to our species for so long."
    • maybe God was like a little kid (or some adults) started playing with his new toy (humans) but quickly got bored, now we're just the equivalent of an old toy forgotten at the back of a cupboard ;(

Good Friend :play: Kinda Romantic :love: Ready to Rock :zomg:

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • Pultost wrote:

BJade wrote:

maybe God was like a little kid (or some adults) started playing with his new toy (humans) but quickly got bored, now we're just the equivalent of an old toy forgotten at the back of a cupboard ;(
      I support this theory. Eventually, he was probably like "Meh", and moved on to do something else.
      If God were a little kid and he's now a bit grown up and has a new toy (new strain of SARS) he just might inflict another worldwide pandemic with this new virus just for fun. Just sayin'!
      Vivimus Volare, Volamus Vivere,
    • Pultost wrote:

BJade wrote:

maybe God was like a little kid (or some adults) started playing with his new toy (humans) but quickly got bored, now we're just the equivalent of an old toy forgotten at the back of a cupboard ;(
      I support this theory. Eventually, he was probably like "Meh", and moved on to do something else.

D. Falcon_11 wrote:

If God were a little kid and he's now a bit grown up and has a new toy (new strain of SARS) he just might inflict another worldwide pandemic with this new virus just for fun. Just sayin'!
      The last seasons of Supernatural (there are 15 of them :D ) are pretty much about that : God is described as a writer who make the life of certain people, especially the Winchesters', a living hell, and make their friends and family suffer or die just for His own amusement and coz He finds it entertaining.
      Mum didn't like that part at all :D
      She said it was blasphemy

@Calli how does your aunt know what God likes and dislikes ?
      There are a lot of good sides in internet (though there are also a few down sides)
    • Doesn't like war and killing people... unless they don't follow "God's rules"?... there's a Crusade against another religion?... There not part of your Christianity?...

I guess God does like killing people... or they would stop all the killing in Middle East (and everywhere else) problem in Syria is just a continuation of the medieval Crusades (2 groups of people and religions believing they own the holy lands)

"If you try to follow fashion you'll always be chasing, and probably never catch it. If you be yourself and make your own style, fashion might just bump into you one day."
    • BJade wrote:

Doesn't like war and killing people... unless they don't follow "God's rules"?... there's a Crusade against another religion?... There not part of your Christianity?...

I guess God does like killing people... or they would stop all the killing in Middle East (and everywhere else) problem in Syria is just a continuation of the medieval Crusades (2 groups of people and religions believing they own the holy lands)
      I think God doesn't like it when people kill in his name while one his 10 most basic laws is you shall not kill
    • Dracaufeu wrote:

BJade wrote:

Doesn't like war and killing people... unless they don't follow "God's rules"?... there's a Crusade against another religion?... There not part of your Christianity?...

I think God doesn't like it when people kill in his name while one his 10 most basic laws is you shall not kill
      I hope that's true :/ but I'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with Noahs Ark where got wiped out nearly all life on earth =O and the Crusades where promoted by the Pope (God's representation on earth) as a way to obsolve people of their sins

There are other examples of God commanding killings in the Old Testament:

1 Samuel 15:3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

NUMBERS 21:3 The Lord gave the Canaanites over to Israel, who "completely destroyed them and their towns."

NUMBERS 31:17-18 God commanded Moses to kill all of the male Midianite children and "kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man." (The virgins were presumably raped.)

• 2 kings 2:24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys. most of the time good people dont kill three and a half dozen children for makeing fun of a preist
    • Dracaufeu wrote:

BJade wrote:

It’s actually “thou shalt not murder” - not kill
      Big difference
    • kn1ves wrote:

Dracaufeu wrote:

BJade wrote:

It’s actually “thou shalt not murder” - not killBig difference
      Kill people deliberately is murder
      The only case it's not murder is self defense and they threaten your life
    • Dracaufeu wrote:

kn1ves wrote:

Dracaufeu wrote:

BJade wrote:

Kill people deliberately is murderThe only case it's not murder is self defense and they threaten your life
      exactly
      That’s why it doesn’t say kill but murder
      Defense, war and so on isn’t the same as the sinful act of taking a life for revenge, jealousy, anger, fear etc
    • kn1ves wrote:

Dracaufeu wrote:

kn1ves wrote:

Dracaufeu wrote:

BJade wrote:

Kill people deliberately is murderThe only case it's not murder is self defense and they threaten your life
      exactlyThat’s why it doesn’t say kill but murder
      Defense, war and so on isn’t the same as the sinful act of taking a life for revenge, jealousy, anger, fear etc
      A famous American general once has been quoted as sayin, "War is Hell!". If war is Hell than God doesn't like it.
    • D. Falcon_11 wrote:

kn1ves wrote:

Dracaufeu wrote:

kn1ves wrote:

Dracaufeu wrote:

BJade wrote:

exactlyThat’s why it doesn’t say kill but murderDefense, war and so on isn’t the same as the sinful act of taking a life for revenge, jealousy, anger, fear etc
      A famous American general once has been quoted as sayin, "War is Hell!". If war is Hell than God doesn't like it.
      American leaders are infamous for not having a clue about what God wants
    • kn1ves wrote:

D. Falcon_11 wrote:

kn1ves wrote:

Dracaufeu wrote:

kn1ves wrote:

Dracaufeu wrote:

BJade wrote:

exactlyThat’s why it doesn’t say kill but murderDefense, war and so on isn’t the same as the sinful act of taking a life for revenge, jealousy, anger, fear etc
      American leaders are infamous for not having a clue about what God wants
      I believe you can say the almost all the leaders around the world. Very few of them have a clue about how the world works. Yet the "sheep" keep electing or crowning them to high public office!