"...Schools Are About Inclusion, Not Segregation"

• "...Schools Are About Inclusion, Not Segregation"

TheStar.com | GTA | Board okays black-focused school

What do you think? Is it for the better?
      I really can't see what good is in this :(
      In my opinion it will cause even more racial seperation than anything else.
      I mean haven't we been fighting to bring everyone together all these years?

Maybe I'm just ignorant and missing something, if you can explain that with good reason, I'll take it.
      Other than that, what're your opinions on this??
    • Re: "...Schools Are About Inclusion, Not Segregation"

its the idea that if the kid has more attention, then he will have a better chance of staying in school.

Black kids have it hard enough, A lot of the poverty stricken blacks have no role models in life and eventually drop out of high school because everyone else they have known has already... by making this school the idea is that they can get more of a focus and give these kids more attention. Especially because its going to pull a lot of people to come teach there.

Again----- The Idea isn't to give black their own school, Its the idea to give them more attention in the hope that It will keep them in school.

"This has turned into a fiasco – we did not propose a school for only blacks, we did not propose a school with all black teachers and all black curriculum."

Let us stop it. This is a school where all people could come and get support. No one said little white children could not go there."

This is from the article itself.

apollo-might wrote:

when reading the whole thing I feel as if it might as well be saying "This has been blown out of proportion by the white folk, we'll let the small white kids into our school too"

I can kind of understand how you might come to this conclusion, but I think you're reading into it a little too much. I don't think anyone had segregation in mind when they started this.
      [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

I see where the idea's coming from but I think segregation to that level is a bad idea.

Why can't they encourage more black people to become teachers and introduce more black-orientated material onto curricula (sp?) in mixed schools? Of course it's important for black kids to feel like they're being listened to but I don't really understand why that can't be done if a bit more effort was put into involving them in lessons more in mixed schools.
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

Hmmm, a puzzler, as most of my issues with schooling in general seem to me.

I would say that it's a solution to the problem, but not the ideal solution. If racism is still prevalent enough to mean that blacks are not getting as much attention as whites, and therefore to create a 'need' for an afrocentric school, that's a not a good sign.

Ideally the problem should be cut at the root, ie. get rid of the lack of attention in the existing schools in the first place. We shouldn't just be settling with the world as it is and try and work around it. But then it's settling with the world as it is that gets things done.

I suppose only time will tell. I don't think this is hailing some return to the 'dark ages' of explicit racism across all aspects of America, there is too much history already for that to happen.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

I agree completely with Esmo about the fact that it is a solution... just not the best.
      I mean they could have just opted for seperate counselors in the school for these youths. Out west, my cousin goes to a Native populated school, and they have all of their own seperate counselors to "focus" on their problems and it's working out fine for them.
      It seems to me that they jumped to the last conclusion without giving anything else a chance.

stratosfear wrote:

I see where the idea's coming from but I think segregation to that level is a bad idea.

Why can't they encourage more black people to become teachers and introduce more black-orientated material onto curricula (sp?) in mixed schools? Of course it's important for black kids to feel like they're being listened to but I don't really understand why that can't be done if a bit more effort was put into involving them in lessons more in mixed schools.

We got two black teachers at school, and they are both brilliant guys.
      Mr Dogbie's a maths teacher and though I've never had him in class before I've been told he's really cool and actually tries to get along with people.
      Mr Dinger's like a all-round cover teacher and he is absolutely hilarious, he gets really into whatever lesson he's covering and really gets along with everyone. :)
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE][/CENTER]

iPodge wrote:

I'm not being racist, but if there was an "white focused school" they'd be an uproar...

Thats stupid,

how can you have a "white focused school" most history you learn in school is allready about white people. all the presidents are white, the majority of this country's history is white. schools allready learn enough about white history.