Of Mice And Men - John Steinbeck

• Of Mice And Men - John Steinbeck

OK, so Of Mice And Men is a novel/play written by John Steinbeck all about the American Dream and two main characters on the journey to achieving it...or so they think.

Part of my GCSE is based on this book, as I'm sure anyone else doing GCSE English Language and English Literature is. So, yeah, anyone who has already done this or is doing this now, do you have notes on it or do you want to discuss it? I think I'm confident with the text but I've been told I don't analyse language as well as I could and that I tell the story too much, which I know I do and I'm trying to stop doing. I just think it would be worthwile to talk to other people about what I've been taught and learn some of what they've been taught. After all, alternative interpretations get you more marks...

I'll keep checking this thread for any replies. :)
    • Re: Of Mice And Men - John Steinbeck

I loved that book, excpecially the hidden foreshadowing through out the text. And I adored Lennie. Great classic and a must read thats for sure.
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]I'm just floating[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]Trying to keep my head above[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]From sinking down[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]Into sand.[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]

$ air $ wrote:

OK, so Of Mice And Men is a novel/play written by John Steinbeck all about the American Dream and two main characters on the journey to achieving it...or so they think.

Part of my GCSE is based on this book, as I'm sure anyone else doing GCSE English Language and English Literature is. So, yeah, anyone who has already done this or is doing this now, do you have notes on it or do you want to discuss it? I think I'm confident with the text but I've been told I don't analyse language as well as I could and that I tell the story too much, which I know I do and I'm trying to stop doing. I just think it would be worthwile to talk to other people about what I've been taught and learn some of what they've been taught. After all, alternative interpretations get you more marks...

I did that earlyer this year.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

$ air $ wrote:

yeh, check sparknotes.com theres tons o stuff there

Floating.In.Sand. wrote:

I loved that book, excpecially the hidden foreshadowing through out the text. And I adored Lennie. Great classic and a must read thats for sure.

My teacher would always stop us in the middle of the book to talk about this foreshadowing so that kind of ruined the book. I knew something was going to go wrong with their plans. But i never thought the book would go as far as to killing Curly's wife, and then Lennie. I liked it
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

Im from New Zealand and we used that book for our novel study.
      Absolutly loved it:D

The themes of friendship and sacrifice is important as well as the dream.

The turning point is crucial..because when lennie kills curleys wife..the readers automatically know that something bad is about to happen to lennie.

Also the character study should help you understand more.

And of course the final chapter where George commits the act of ultimate friendship.

If you still need help with some notes..i am happy to lend you some:)
      If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibilty of life is destroyed.

hey i just did my GCSEs and i studied of mice and men for my english literature and i got a B. What exam bored are you? i could probably find out what question u will get for ur Mock Exam (my sisters also an english teacher, i could find papers :D). but thats only if u rlly wanna know. hehe
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Studied that in year 10 for my english lit exam, got a D but I'm no good when it comes to writing essays.

One key point that you should take note of that hasn't been mentioned yet is... uhhh lemme find my copy of the book.

Right got it. When Carlson shoots Candy's dog he gives it one shot in the back of the head, and then Candy says (on page 63 of my book, yours probably isn't the same but it's the page before Lennie and Curley's fight.

"Candy said, 'George.'
      'Huh?'
      I ought to of shot that dog myself, George. I shouldn't ought to of let no stranger shoot my dog.'"

This suggest that the relationship between Candy and his dog is the same as the relationship between George and Lennie, George had to shoot Lennie himself, as he was the only one who knew Lennie and had the right to end his life, the rest of the gang would have made him scared but George had him thinking of the rabbits.