"Make Me A Christian" on Channel 4

• "Make Me A Christian" on Channel 4

I just saw an advert on Channel 4 for this new documentary that they are showing where a priest goes out and actively converts people of non-christian faith.

And I think it is horrendous!

This is just another example of how Christians refuse to move with the times and also refuse to admit that it. How dare they go out and try to contravene people's rights to their own beliefs, let alone glorifying it by putting it on television?

I usually have very little against Christians, but its when they do something like this and openly condemn/force their opinions on other people that it pisses me off.

Something has to be done.
    • Re: "Make Me A Christian" on Channel 4

I don't know how the advert portrayed things to you but things are quite different if you look it up on the channel 4 website. The formula is actually very done: People want to (or in this case, possibly are prepared to) change so they are put into a situation where they could change.

A priest and a team of christians get a group of volunteers to live by biblical teachings for three weeks. Personally I can't see how a group of volunteers can have teachings forced down their throats.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

authanam wrote:

I just saw an advert on Channel 4 for this new documentary that they are showing where a priest goes out and actively converts people of non-christian faith.

And I think it is horrendous!

This is just another example of how Christians refuse to move with the times and also refuse to admit that it. How dare they go out and try to contravene people's rights to their own beliefs, let alone glorifying it by putting it on television?

I usually have very little against Christians, but its when they do something like this and openly condemn/force their opinions on other people that it pisses me off.

Something has to be done.
      Woah, Woah, Woah, let's back it up here.

Adding words such as "force" is very fallacious. As you said, the priest goes out and actively tries to convert people. He's far from "forcing" them to convert. He doesn't point a gun to their head and say, "convert or die." How does this mean they're, "shoving their opinions on other people?"
      I see atheists trying to shove their opinions on religious people all the time, but I don't hear you whining about them. It's only when somebody tries to share their opinion with YOU in hopes that you'll convert that you get pissy. You're being highly hypocritical and are immensely overreacting to nothing.

You're also letting your disbelief in a religion cloud your better judgment; or should I say, common sense. People have the rights to their own beliefs; nobody said differently. Attempting to convert somebody isn't violating these rights. Shoving an AK-47 into somebody's throat and threatening to pull the trigger if they don't believe what you tell them to, would be violating the right to a certain belief.
      The priest isn't conflicting with any laws or rules. You have an adamant of throwing around random words that exaggerates (very much so) what is really going on.

I'm also not sure how this shows that "Christians aren't moving along with the times." You can be Christian and take new scientific research into consideration.

Esmo wrote:

I don't know how the advert portrayed things to you but things are quite different if you look it up on the channel 4 website. The formula is actually very done: People want to (or in this case, possibly are prepared to) change so they are put into a situation where they could change.

A priest and a team of christians get a group of volunteers to live by biblical teachings for three weeks. Personally I can't see how a group of volunteers can have teachings forced down their throats.

they did this with athiests living by muslim teachings a while ago.

its just to see how possible it is too be a true chirstian/muslim/whatever else.
      i guess it may throw up issues about the relevance of the bible in this age
      [CENTER]We Are Living Orwell's Nightmare:[/CENTER]
      [CENTER]Come One, Come All, To Nineteen Eighty Four: Three, Two, One, Lights, Camera, Transaction.[/CENTER]