Hyperhydrosis.

• Re: Hyperhydrosis.

Primary hyperhidrosis is the condition characterized by abnormally increased perspiration, in excess of that required for regulation of body temperature. Some patients afflicted with the condition experience a certain degree of reduction in their quality of life, depending on how severe their condition is. Sufferers feel at a loss of control because perspiration takes place independent of temperature and emotional state.
      However, anxiety can exacerbate the situation for many sufferers. A common complaint of patients is that they get nervous because they sweat, then sweat more because they are nervous. Other factors can play a role; certain foods & drinks, nicotine, caffeine, and smells can trigger a response (see also diaphoresis).
      There is controversy regarding the definition of hyperhidrosis, because any sweat that drips off of the body is in excess of that required for thermoregulation. Almost all people will drip sweat off of the body during heavy exercise.
      Hyperhidrosis can either be generalized or localized to specific parts of the body. Hands, feet, axillae, and the groin area are among the most active regions of perspiration due to the relatively high concentration of sweat glands; however, any part of the body may be affected. Primary hyperhidrosis is found to start during adolescence or even before, and interestingly, seems to be inherited as an autosomal dominant genetic trait.
      Primary hyperhidrosis must be distinguished from secondary hyperhidrosis, which can start at any point in life. The latter form may be due to a disorder of the thyroid or pituitary gland, diabetes mellitus, tumors, gout, menopause or certain drugs.
      Primary hyperhidrosis is estimated at around 1% of the population, afflicting men and women equally. That number, however, does not reflect the true number of cases since the condition is not always diagnosed; most patients usually disregard the excessive sweating and it never occurs to them that they might have a medical condition. It commonly has its onset in adolescence.

My hands don't sweat either, just my armpits.
      I kept going on about something not being right about to friends and family, but for years they told me I was just over paranoid.
      I went to the doctors last week, and now it's all under control.

I'd advise anyone who thinks they may have it to see a doctor.
      Figures show that 40% of people that have it, aren't diagnosed because they don't see a doctor about it, passing it off as nothing.

omfgidc wrote:

My hands don't sweat either, just my armpits.
      I kept going on about something not being right about to friends and family, but for years they told me I was just over paranoid.
      I went to the doctors last week, and now it's all under control.

I'd advise anyone who thinks they may have it to see a doctor.
      Figures show that 40% of people that have it, aren't diagnosed because they don't see a doctor about it, passing it off as nothing.

What kind of treatment did they give you for it?

omfgidc wrote:

Driclor.
      It's a roll on deodrant, but it's a lot stronger than normal doedrant.
      It's very effective. ;D
      It does cause slight irritation, but it's a lot more comfortable than sweat patches.

It can be used on the hands, feet or armpits. ;D

Does it get rid of the sweating completely? Did they run any tests on you?

Sorry that I'm asking so many questions. I'm thinking about bringing it up to my mom and hopefully going to the doctor for it. lol. I'm sick of it.

RedAlert wrote:

Does it get rid of the sweating completely? Did they run any tests on you?

Sorry that I'm asking so many questions. I'm thinking about bringing it up to my mom and hopefully going to the doctor for it. lol. I'm sick of it.

Yes, I don't have an ounce of sweat on me.
      I love it. :D!

Nope, no tests. There is surgery they can do, that they probably would need to do tests for, but seeing as it's only a roll on deodrant, there isn't very much need.
      If you're really that uncomfortable, go to the doctors. ;D
      Sometimes even bringing it up to friends/family doesn't do anything, because people just think it's normal.

Hi. Starting when I was in Grade 7, I sweated a lot, just my armpits. I know it's pretty embarrassing. It went on until my last year of university, when I found a product called Drysol. Basically, you dab it onto your armpits before you go to bed and pretty soon you don't sweat there anymore.
      I'm from Canada -- I have no idea where else this product is available, but it's just an over-the-counter thing available in any big drug store.
      The first time I used it it stung a lot and I wound up washing it off after about half an hour. I tried again the next night and I can't remember if I had to wash it off again (you're supposed to just sleep with it on and have a good shower the next morning). Anyway, after a couple of nights using it, it worked completeley.
      Anyway, give it a shot. I think it can be used on any part of your body because it says on the bottle "apply to the affected area", so I'm guessing it's okay for your hands or feet or whatever.
      It sounds similar to the product "Driclor" suggested by RedAlert, but "Drysol" isn't a roll on deodorant; it's a liquid. And once you've used it and it's worked for you the first time, you only need to put it on once every couple of weeks, whenever you notice that you've started sweating a bit again. I've been using it for two years and now I only need to apply it every month or so. It's seriously changed my life.
      I hope this is helpful to you.

ya do have it aswell, & i know how annoying it is,

well here's a tip you can try that worked for me by mistake.

i always notice that whenever i go swimming in an indoor swiming pool( chlorinated pool) just after it , sweating stops completly, hands, fee, & armpits. & it works for at least the next day sometimes for more than 2 days. give it a try, if u have access to a swiming pool that would be gr8, if not, try those dissolving chlorine tablets they use to disinfect veggies in water & soak your palms for 20 min.s & check if it works too, though i've never tried the tablets but they should work.