4 Months After Moving...Things Are Horrible

• 4 Months After Moving...Things Are Horrible

Hi everyone,

I've posted a few times, but since have done some more thinking. So basically, I am 16 years old (almost 17 actually), and moved from Canada to the USA 4 months ago (California). I was upset about moving, as I had a very large network there, but eventually I started to thinking that California would be really fun (just like on the TV shows right..?).

Well, to be honest, it hasn't turned out to what I thought it would be like. If I could, I would go back and would have tried to just not move from Canada in the first place. I feel like I was dumb for being excited to move..moving isn't fun. In the first two months, I basically told myself I am getting out of here ASAP and going back to exactly where I lived. But the more I think of it, it is unreasonable, as I should not pick where I want to go because I want to be happy for a few years.

I just honestly want to get out of California though. I don't know if anyone has lived here, but I'm finding it to be hell. People are so unfriendly. I know it is important to pick a good university, but it is also to be happy, and a mix of the two is the best. My parents have always stressed how good the UC schools are, basically to the point where I think that they are the only good schools, even though I know this is not true. They keep telling me "his move was good for my future". I feel like starting to make huge moves like this at age 16 to decide your future isn't good, especially if your not happy where they are taking you. I could have always finished university in Canada, then when time came, and I saw it best fit to move to California (or wherever it was), then I would move. I mean, what is the point of living life if your always planning so far ahead. My dad told me "you will thank me in 5-7 years". I thought back "No I won't, cause those 5-7 years were hell". Don't get me wrong, me and my parents get along very well, we just have different priorities I guess, and happiness is one of my main ones.

I really do not know what to do anymore. These last 4 months have been hell for me. I am graduating a semester early (next December-ish), and don't have a clue of what to do... Any suggestions?

Thanks..
    • Re: 4 Months After Moving...Things Are Horrible

Sorry, you'll just have to live with it for now.

Discuss this problem with your parents, maybe they'll understand. I know it's tough moving to other places. I'm used to it. Your best option is to make the best out of this, find all the advantages of your new home, try to ignore everything else. Make friends and soon you'll seee you're feelin good there.

Worst case scenario - When you're old enough you could move back to canada, iif you still can't fit in.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      shiveringlord.wordpress.com
      "I am Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely."

Have you ever think of your parent's problems?

or

have you help them?

I think...

I know.. they want to make you happy.....

if I were you...

I will give advice to my parent ... to stay in one town....
      you must said to them that you upset with this...

YOu know...
      that I have a same experince like yours....
      and I was boring to with it....

hope can make you feel happier ....

Well, my friend , they say there is no place like home...and im happy where i am, actually i moved from rented house into our own place , which was just a couple blocks away from where we were living so my long time friendz and i as well as some of my new friend
      (though some of these guys i knew from before i came around here) linkup and hold a level vibe.
      if your gonna live in usa, live where alot of your kin are,mainly speaking Canadians are...ask around , thats the way to do it....Or just go back home bro

Its so hard trying to make a better life , and you endup being uncomfortable with whats going on around you/the situation
      [B]
      [/B]

dude23 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've posted a few times, but since have done some more thinking. So basically, I am 16 years old (almost 17 actually), and moved from Canada to the USA 4 months ago (California). I was upset about moving, as I had a very large network there, but eventually I started to thinking that California would be really fun (just like on the TV shows right..?).

I have to admit if I was moving to Cali, I'd be excited as hell after seeing all the movies and stuff.

dude23 wrote:

Well, to be honest, it hasn't turned out to what I thought it would be like. If I could, I would go back and would have tried to just not move from Canada in the first place. I feel like I was dumb for being excited to move..moving isn't fun.

You're right, moving isn't always fun but sometimes it just has to be that way, I lose count of the number of places I've moved & I completley understand - I moved from England to France when I couldn't even speak french. Thank yourself lucky Canada & Cali both speak the same language.

dude23 wrote:

In the first two months, I basically told myself I am getting out of here ASAP and going back to exactly where I lived. But the more I think of it, it is unreasonable, as I should not pick where I want to go because I want to be happy for a few years.

At the same time if all you do is plan a way out it's never going to be what it could be - go make some friends!

dude23 wrote:

I just honestly want to get out of California though. I don't know if anyone has lived here, but I'm finding it to be hell. People are so unfriendly. I know it is important to pick a good university, but it is also to be happy, and a mix of the two is the best. My parents have always stressed how good the UC schools are, basically to the point where I think that they are the only good schools, even though I know this is not true. They keep telling me "his move was good for my future". I feel like starting to make huge moves like this at age 16 to decide your future isn't good, especially if your not happy where they are taking you. I could have always finished university in Canada, then when time came, and I saw it best fit to move to California (or wherever it was), then I would move.

As I said before, I moved to France with nothing - no language skills or anything .. and it was the making of me.

dude23 wrote:

I mean, what is the point of living life if your always planning so far ahead. My dad told me "you will thank me in 5-7 years". I thought back "No I won't, cause those 5-7 years were hell". Don't get me wrong, me and my parents get along very well, we just have different priorities I guess, and happiness is one of my main ones.

Your parents are doing what they think is best for you, sometimes it isn't always the right thing.

dude23 wrote:

I really do not know what to do anymore. These last 4 months have been hell for me. I am graduating a semester early (next December-ish), and don't have a clue of what to do... Any suggestions?

Seriously? Hold tight, and go find some friends because untill you find a way out you're stuck there and personally I'd prefer to be stuck somewhere I don't wanna be with a few cool people than on my own.

Good luck.

Thanks..[/quote]

Sorry to hear about the situation that you are in right now; however, there are some things you can do. I know that moving can put you into a different atmosphere which can make things uncomfortable, but I agree with the previous quotes. For now just try to adapt because sometimes when you move you begin to miss friends, family, etc and that makes you find reasons to actually head back home. Give it some time try to find friends that represent the same views as you and who knows maybe you might grow fond of California :).

Hopefully as goes well with your schooling and best of luck on the situation

Cheers

dude23 wrote:

Sometimes parents think they are doing the best for you; sometimes they are the ones that get wrapped up in the idea and don't see how, in this case, you feel. This seems to be the situation here with you. They sound like they are only trying thier best for you , and wanting you to have a great future and career - but if it's making you unhappy to do all this, I would talk to them. You appreciate it, but you are just unhappy in Cali. And, at the end of the day, what is life when we are unhappy living it?

So, it seems you have two options really. You could talk to your parents about it all, explain you are unhappy about the move and you are unsure of what to do. Or, you can stick at it and look about for some new friends you can cling onto - i'm sure that would change things, i'm sure you'f rather have some friends then be there on your own, right?

If I were you, i'd try and stick at it. Keep on keeping on, and see how things go. If you are still unhappy, then maybe you should move back to Canada. But, give yourself time to adjust, it can be very time consuming. Have some patience?

Best of luck.

Support Leader,
      SimpleGirl*

Hey, moving is tough. I've moved twice in my life, from Arizona to Cali and from Northern Cali to the Bay area.. The UC system is great, but if you don't like that idea, California has an agreement with Hawaii, I think, that says that you can get instate tuition there too.. Anywayy, I'm going to a CSU, its cheaper and is still a better than average system.

Just remember this: After the first few bad months, you meet the friends that you will know for the years to come.. Plus, with myspace and email n stuff, its easy to stay in contact with your old friends if you need to..
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

Ya moving is annoying! I had to move to Ireland, i hated it! I was finally aloud to move back here to the states. You should try to talk to your parents about it and tell them exactly why you don't want to stay there. And if that doesn't work then try to make a deal where you get to go back alot. It was hard for me to get them to let me come back. So good luck! :)