my gay rights speech. bahhh.

• my gay rights speech. bahhh.

Last week I read a speech to my classmates in English about Gay Rights, and I was thinking about posting it up here o:

I think it was good, but it might not be. Just having the added pressure of saying a speech which was basically a coming out to my entire class made it all the more emotional (it even had tears all over the paper. whether i cried because of my state of shock, or because of how horrible a speechgiver i am... i don't know.)
    • Re: my gay rights speech. bahhh.

Well, here goes then ._. :
      " Around midnight on October 7, 1998, a man was robbed, beaten, and tied to a fence by two other men who left him there to die. Nearly a day later he was found in a coma, still tied to the fence. He was rushed to the hospital, but it was already too late. His injuries were far too severe and he never woke up again. He was pronounced dead a few days later. But... why was it necessary for him to face such a horrible death? Matthew Shepard, who was a promising student of the University of Wyoming, was murdered because he was gay.

And he is not alone.

Countless others of all ages, men and women alike, have suffered from attacks; attacks ranging from verbal putdowns to physical torment. But these people were not only attacked by school bullies and gossipy neighbors, but by people who were once friends or loving family members. To be faced with a such a sudden hatred from those one once loved because of his or her sexuality has me asking:

How can a great many of the people in our country be anti-gay? How can a country built upon equal rights be so intolerant to not follow through on this promise?

Equality shouldn't have to be fought for; however, centuries of history of oppressed people and long decades of social movements make it clear we must. We, the LGBT community and our allies, must fight for equal rights to love and to declare our love. You may not be gay or lesbian, but realize that we too are part of this world. Everyone wants to marry the one he or she loves and this right shouldn't be exclusive to heterosexual couples. I would never ask a man to 'civil union' me; I want to be able to marry just like everyone else. Regardless of sexual orientation, we all have someone to love.

However, marriage is not our only battle.

We will continue to fight until we are accepted by our communities and our country. We must stand up for equality and avoid discrimination. We are just as human as everyone else on this world. Regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, height, weight, you name it, we are all human. We all have the capacity to love and live and respect one another, and we must do so if we wish to prosper. To live in a world where no one is afraid to be who he or she really is, that is my one dream. And when we accept and respect each other for everything we are, this dream can become reality.

Thank you all very much for your time."

So, it's not really that great or anything. I was a wreck throughout my speech... lip quivering, arms shaking, eyes tearing, voice stuttering and hoarseness... ehh, not my greatest moment but something I'm proud of. Like I said, I hadn't really come out to anyone before this except for close friends.

my teachers had congratulated me on it. i chose a topic which was very controversial and personal, while others did speeches about unfair homework and less school, etc...

i think it was recieved pretty well by the class. after the speech while they were applauding me (and not an awkward applause) I heard one of the girls say "that makes me want to cry now..." Oh, and it seems like the people in my class now pay attention to what they say, which i think is nice. :D

well, lets just say, id never come out like that, REP for the gutsy approach... oh and good speech.. if i ever give a speac about bravery i will be sure to mention you...
      this signature is the one i used when i signed up for teenhut when i was in what... year 8? thats 4 years ago... god my graphical skills sucked!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adamEcstacy wrote:

my teachers had congratulated me on it. i chose a topic which was very controversial and personal, while others did speeches about unfair homework and less school, etc...

LMAO kids in my school are the same, they choose some stupid topic about school and homework etc. i do speeches on things in the world, or things down to basic human behavior etc, and i always get the same talk back from everyone, "dammit ian, now your speech made mine look like crap!" even a few of my essays got into the school newspaper, and one about Proper Conduct in Everyday Life got into the Town newspaper. our class was screwing around on a day when we had a sub, so everyone had to do an essay on that kind of thing.

but back to your essay. quite good. i'd do one on gay rights, but i'd definately not get the same response like you did. it took courage to do something like that, something not many people have nowadays... bravo
      We sing the Death Song kids
      Because we've got no future...
      And we want to be just like you...

iamivabe1992 wrote:

LMAO kids in my school are the same, they choose some stupid topic about school and homework etc. i do speeches on things in the world, or things down to basic human behavior etc, and i always get the same talk back from everyone, "dammit ian, now your speech made mine look like crap!" even a few of my essays got into the school newspaper, and one about Proper Conduct in Everyday Life got into the Town newspaper. our class was screwing around on a day when we had a sub, so everyone had to do an essay on that kind of thing.

but back to your essay. quite good. i'd do one on gay rights, but i'd definately not get the same response like you did. it took courage to do something like that, something not many people have nowadays... bravo

I wouldn't say that I have courage because I'm pretty much an introvert... that was my one brave moment. :P it's nice to see that other people care about their schoolwork, haha.
      [CENTER]i found jesus
      [SIZE=1]...
      in a gay bar.
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

Great speech!

Actually, the day after i first read this thread, i got assigned an essay in English, and we had to discuss whether or not everyone in the u.s had equal rights. I obviously chose homosexuality, and gay rights, and how not everyone in the u.s has equal rights. I actually thought of your method of coming out, because i have yet to do it.

But, VERY gutsy move there.

I think im going to come out however, by just screaming all over school " i heart penis!"
      And see what happens.

Lmao xD
      [SIZE=2]For if we are not within ourselves; We are without.
      -Chris Crocker

[/SIZE]