*sigh* still?!

• *sigh* still?!

A while ago ... a long while ago, I posted a thread about this issue my boyfriend had with what was a former friend of his. I called him 'Mark'. Now, I haven't talked to Mark since him and my boyfriend had their fallout. Part of it is because my boyfriend didn't want me to get even more deeply involved in their fight (I was something like a bridge between the two) and well ... quite frankly I was getting pissed by Mark's drama queen personality.

So anyways, this past weekend was the local anime convention and Mark was there. On day 2 my boyfriend and 2 of his friends went to shoot pool (I came along to watch) and we were passing by Mark while going down the escalator and my boyfriend asked him if he wanted to go play pool with them. Mark said no (he was with a girl), so we went to the pool place and since all the tables were full we were playing in the arcade while waiting for one to become available. A few minutes later, Mark shows up with the girl I saw him with.

Our name gets called so we go to the table and while one of his friends goes looking for a triangle and the other gets a drink, my boyfriend comes up to me and says "You know what pisses me off? I invited Mark to come along and he says no and where the fuck does he turn up? Here" I told him not to let it bother him too much, but it did anyways for most of the night.

Honestly, I don't know if anything happened between the two of them since their fallout, but Mark still considers me as something of a friend. Mark also hangs out with some of my boyfriend's friends at school too so I don't actually know if they interact much there.

Now, here's the thing. I really don't know if I should approach Mark about this. Say, ask him what's going on with my boyfriend. At the same time, I don't really want to reopen any lines of communication with Mark. I have trust issues with him because he's lied to me and he's also talked shit about my boyfriend to me as well. It seems my boyfriend still kind of hopes to repair things and a little nudge from me in the right direction could help but ... I honestly don't want him to be friends with Mark. At all.

So my question is ... should I talk to Mark and try to attempt to repair things between the two of them or should I just leave it already? Or am I perhaps reading into this a bit too much? :P
      [CENTER]6/19/06

愛してる~
      私の恋人
      [/CENTER]
    • Re: *sigh* still?!

I think you should sit down and ask your boyfriend what he wants to do. If you aren't bothered with if he's YOUR friend or not, then ask your boyfriend.

Repairing the friendship would be a very good thing to do, but not if your boyfriend doesn't want to, that could just increase the tension.

I'm not suggesting, however, that your boyfriend HAS to be the decision maker, you have a mind of your own, but if you do something your boyfriend is uncomfortable with, it could make things worse, so my advice, talk to your boyfriend.

:)

And I don't think you're reading into this too much. ;P

patr1ck wrote:

I think you should sit down and ask your boyfriend what he wants to do. If you aren't bothered with if he's YOUR friend or not, then ask your boyfriend.

Repairing the friendship would be a very good thing to do, but not if your boyfriend doesn't want to, that could just increase the tension.

I'm not suggesting, however, that your boyfriend HAS to be the decision maker, you have a mind of your own, but if you do something your boyfriend is uncomfortable with, it could make things worse, so my advice, talk to your boyfriend.

:)

And I don't think you're reading into this too much. ;P

tbh i agree.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Patrick is right. You should probably stop and talk to your boyfriend about all this. It would be bad if you tried to rebuild the communication with Mark and then find out that your boyfriend doesn't want that.

Sit down, talk about it, and decide from there. Do what you're both comfortable with. Good luck. =)

Support Leader,
      ~James
      Need help or just want to talk? PM me. :)
      -------------------------------------------------------
      "It's easy to be nice to people you like. But being nice to people you hate, that's a skill. Do it."

Me and Mark were fairly good friends. Both me and my boyfriend were pretty good friends with him actually. The three of us use to hang out quite a bit ... then my boyfriend got busy and didn't have much time to hang out.

@ other responses: I read Patrick's reply this morning and the first thing that came to mind was the fact that I can't really talk to my boyfriend about this because during their fight I was stuck in the middle and he doesn't want me to get involved like that again. He feels it causes unnecessary stress for me) so I was thinking I should probably just let it go :X so I may have my answer lol
      [CENTER]6/19/06

愛してる~
      私の恋人
      [/CENTER]

given that^ info, I think your bf is a little out of line. While he has a problem with Mark, and I can see why both of you would want you to stay out of the argument, I don't think it necessary for you to completely close off all communication. He's your friend too. Just because you're dating you bf doesn't mean that you have to share his opinions and since you were, from what I gather, about equal friends with Mark, you should be able to talk to him and counsel him as you would any other friend, but if you wished, you could choose not to do so on this issue.

My issue with the situation is more that I don't see why your bf has any ground to tell you that you can't talk to Mark; he's your friend too. I mean, personally, I'd advise you to stay out of it, but if I were in your situation, I'd at least talk to Mark and see what it's like from his side, but not to pass along the info, unless it's wise to do so.

Sorry my reply's a bit lengthy or unclear, but you see what I'm getting at?
      Love it when you call me Legs
      In the morning, buy me eggs

Well, my boyfriend knows I'm still somewhat friends with Mark. I say somewhat because I got really frustrated with Mark. He's bsed a few things to get me angry or upset at my boyfriend a few times in the past. My boyfriend was pretty hurt when he learned that Mark was doing that behind his back. Also, for a while after their fallout I was trying to continue to be a good friend to Mark but if he wasn't bsing about my boyfriend he was complaining about how being single sucked and I got fed up with that. Me and him still talk sort of ... when I go to my boyfriend's school and he's not around Mark will talk to me. He'll say hi to me usually too whenever he sees me but if I'm with my boyfriend they both kind of ignore each other.

I do want to talk to Mark to at least ask about what was up at the convention but he's probably going to get really defensive about it. Now's probably a good time too because he has a girlfriend. If I approach him when he's single I just end up hearing him whine about the woes of being a single man.
      [CENTER]6/19/06

愛してる~
      私の恋人
      [/CENTER]

captain_kurenai wrote:

I do want to talk to Mark to at least ask about what was up at the convention but he's probably going to get really defensive about it. Now's probably a good time too because he has a girlfriend. If I approach him when he's single I just end up hearing him whine about the woes of being a single man.

This is a situation where it's important to have good listening skills, and being able to ask the right questions. Being neutral will allow him to open up more, so that you don't get an earful of bullshit. So long as you don't actually bring it up, he won't go on the attack. Maneuvering the conversation to your advantage will be helpful.

Also, depending on how close you are to his gf, she may be an interesting source of info. If you're up to it, the three of you hanging out could net you a fair view of his thoughts, again provided you're subtle with the conversation.
      Love it when you call me Legs
      In the morning, buy me eggs