Has my attempted suicide ruined my future?

• Has my attempted suicide ruined my future?

I recently tried to kill myself by overdosing.

I just want to know this:
      Will it go on my record and will people not want to hire me ect. because of it?

All that happened (medically) was some stuff was administered into my veins to nuetralize what I had taken, and I was made to drink this... Charcoal liquid. And made to stay in 4 just over a week and see all these shrinks and stuff...

I still want to have a future and hope to study microbiology at Uni someday but the nurses and my parents went on about how people won't want to hire me and how it'll be harder for me to get into a Uni because of it.
      I just want to know if they were exaggerating, or if I really do have a rough road ahead because of what I did.

Will it really affect my future that badly?
    • Re: Has my attempted suicide ruined my future?

I don't think it will. Depression is a disorder and one that can be treated therefor years down the line it will not be the same as it is now. Plus, if you are under 18 then I know for sure that it will have no effect on what you want to do in your life. When you apply for jobs or for university they do not ask you such questions. I know for a fact that it will not affect you getting into University but I am not sure about getting a job. When you apply for a job they run a basic background check on you which is mainly for criminal records. I know for a fact that they cannot look at your medical records, but they may be able to tell if you have been sent to a sort of Medical Ward or Mental Instution. Either way, if you are under 18 then do not worry about it affecting you at all later in life because it most certainly will not.

caa26 wrote:

I don't think it will. Depression is a disorder and one that can be treated therefor years down the line it will not be the same as it is now. Plus, if you are under 18 then I know for sure that it will have no effect on what you want to do in your life. When you apply for jobs or for university they do not ask you such questions. I know for a fact that it will not affect you getting into University but I am not sure about getting a job. When you apply for a job they run a basic background check on you which is mainly for criminal records. I know for a fact that they cannot look at your medical records, but they may be able to tell if you have been sent to a sort of Medical Ward or Mental Instution. Either way, if you are under 18 then do not worry about it affecting you at all later in life because it most certainly will not.

It doesn't go on your medical record. It goes on your record, record.

Yeah usually if you stay in like a mental ward, for treatment/therapy, it counts as the time you'd serve in jail.

Because I knew a girl who brought like 200 pills to school and starting taking them all at lunch when I was in Jr. High so I went and told the administrators (because I cared for her, not because I was a narc). She had to go mental hospital for a few weeks and it counted for jail time.

But I don't think it'll affect your record to the extent nobody will want to hire you. I could only see that really affecting you getting into uni/a job if you have shown recent signs of depression.

But I'm glad you didn't kill yourself. :]

I guess so. But yeah, that's so stupid that it's illegal. Like.. we didn't pick to be born, why can't we pick when we leave? Like I agree with Euthinasia (I have NO idea how to spell it), I think people should have the choice, as long as they get the go ahead that their mind is sound.

I think there'd probably be a notation of it on your record, but I don't think it'd be the kind of thing that would prohibit you from going to another country, cause you have a record. I think it's just like.. a side note. And employers can deal with it how they see fit. They can take it into account, or they can not. I think the best way to handle it now is to go get help, so then if anyone is questioning your state atm, they can see that you've seeked out professional help over it. It'd just make you look better.
      [CENTER]. : Hard Work Pays Off in the Long Run. Laziness Pays Off NOW : .[/CENTER]

[CENTER]:wink: Member of the Kind of Weird Sexy Club :wink: [/CENTER]