Reparations for African Americans

• Reparations for African Americans

The arguments against reparations are pretty weak. One of the is Blacks sold other Blacks into slavery well

In 1720, King Agaja Trudo of Dahomey not only opposed the trade, but even went as far as to attack the forts that the European powers had constructed on the coast.

Other African leaders such as Donna Beatriz Kimpa Vita in Kongo and Abd al-Qadir, in what is now northern Senegal, also urged resistance against the forced export of Africans.

Queen Nzinga went as far as fighting Europeans when Europeans dare suggested she sell some of her citizens into slavery.

Additionally, Blacks selling other Blacks into slavery is a valid argument for reparations. Europeans gave these Africans gold, silver, salt, silk and other goods in exchange for slaves. Shortly after the "scramble for Africa began and Europeans took all of these goods back when they colonized Africa. The Europeans built the wealth of their nations from slaves & the wealth that Africans accumulated from slaves went right back into the hands of Europeans. So the Blacks who sold other Blacks into slavery should not be punished because they already have it.

While I acknowledge no one alive is morally responsibility for slavery however slavery has left economic and social disparities between Blacks and Whites and the only solution to fixing these disparities is reparations. Many businesses that are around today (such as Chase Bank) benefited greatly off the slave trade and that wealth was passed from one generations to the next. Only a fool in denial would say the actions of whites in the past have no effect on the current conditions of Blacks today.

Since slaves were not paid no wealth was passed from one generations to the next and whites had a huge head start. In fact 80 percent of black kids begin their adult lives with no assets and the net worth for Whites 6 Times Higher Than Blacks.There are programs such as Affirmative Action that benefit Black children but, according to statistics Affirmative Action benefits White Women followed by Asians the most.

There is welfare but several Blacks who are the descendants of slaves have never been on welfare and there is some Whites are not the descendants of slaves who are on welfare.

The other argument is that reparations should be a ticket back to Africa. All of these Black people have a say here we have helped to build this country. A one way ticket back to Africa is not sufficient for reparations because a slave probally made that one way ticket back to Africa over 50 times in his life time.

Reparations are currently being discussed with the Japanese and the Jews have received billions of dollars in reparations and a nation of their own. The Jews get 21 million a year just for operating expenses from the government of America. Your holocaust took place in Germany thousands of miles from America. But no museum no memorial not 200 million not 21 million not even one thousand not even a dollar has been set aside so that we may set up a museum or memorial for all of our ancestors who suffered an untimely death.
    • Re: Reparations for African Americans

i will be glad to pay blacks for slavery, but i want a nice sum of money from people native to the following countries for crimes against my people

nigeria - white people (still today) are used as slave soldiers and sex slaves
      denmark - danes (vikings) used my ancestors as slaves
      germany - shot at my relatives at D-day
      every country in the middle east - see nigeria
      japan - shot at my relatives and sent them on death marches
      albania - whites used as sex slaves
      russia - work camps and shot at my relatives in WW2
      italy - shot at my relatives and killed a few

and, all blacks must go back to africa, because if it wasn't for slavery, they would be living in a war zone, where they get shot at every day and are forced to go into battle against other militants every day
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [COLOR="Red"]Don’t pollute the planet. It’s where I keep all my junk.[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrange"]You say tomato, I say Lycopersicum Esculentum.[/COLOR]I GIVE REP TO PEOPLE WHO TELL ME THINGS ABOUT [COLOR="Red"]AVTOMAT KALASHNIKOVAS[/COLOR]

and, all blacks must go back to africa, because if it wasn't for slavery, they would be living in a war zone, where they get shot at every day and are forced to go into battle against other militants every day

Dumbass

Africa before Europeans

Ghana (AD 5th-13th)
      A rich and powerful gold kingdom.

"He is the richest sovereign on Earth."
      -Ibn Hawkel, 10th century North African geographer on Ghana's king

Mali (AD 13th-15th)
      An empire larger than Western Europe. Its prosperity and morality gave the empire great international prestige.

"It's inhabitants are rich and live comfortably."
      -Mahmud Kati, famous medieval Syrian scholar

Songhay (AD 11th-17th)
      An Empire larger than Mali that was renowned for its scholarly culture and complex government.

"(Surpassed) all other Negroes in wit, civility, and industry."
      -Leo Africanuas, 16th Century Spanish Moor

Kongo (AD 14th-17th)
      A provincial government with an advanced system of checks and balances.

Zimbabwe (AD 10th-15th)
      A feudal kingdom that has obtained fame for its large stone structures.

Swahili Coast
      A very advanced merchant civilization that traded with India, China, the Mid East, the interior of Africa, and North Africa.

Bornu (AD 13th-17th)
      One of the longest lasting kingdoms of all time. Renowned and feared for its armored knights and cavalry.

Benin (AD 13th-19th)
      A highly organized forest kingdom that had much direct interaction with the first Portuguese merchants. They are renowned for their naturalistic art.

Ethiopia, in the Middle ages
      A highly advanced Christian civilization known for its military might, close relationship with the Portuguese and magnificent architecture.

Ancient Nubia
      One of the world's most powerful ancient kingdoms; it halted the Roman, Greek, Assyrian, and Persian conquerors- it even ruled over Egypt for a time. It built pyramids, palaces, and other great architectural feats. It also developed its own written language.

Ancient Aksum (Ethiopia)
      One of the richest and most powerful kingdoms in ancient times; it even ruled over Southern Arabia for several centuries. It is known for inventing the first castle and developing its own written language.

Also google

How Europeans underdeveloped Africa

Why should we pay African Americans for past events? I don't even see a reason too pay the Jewish community money, just because the Holocaust occurred. Yeah, you were slaves, that's over now, and what is money going too help you with? I'd say this is just another greedy plan too grab money from the Government. If anything you should be happy that it's over and there's a common peace, money is greed, it isn't going too make you "happier" you're just going too want more and more.

Ken_ wrote:

Why should we pay African Americans for past events? I don't even see a reason too pay the Jewish community money, just because the Holocaust occurred. Yeah, you were slaves, that's over now, and what is money going too help you with? I'd say this is just another greedy plan too grab money from the Government. If anything you should be happy that it's over and there's a common peace, money is greed, it isn't going too make you "happier" you're just going too want more and more.

A jew wanting money?

:lol:

I'm just going off what the Black Supremacist said,

Reparations are currently being discussed with the Japanese and the Jews have received billions of dollars in reparations and a nation of their own. The Jews get 21 million a year just for operating expenses from the government of America. Your holocaust took place in Germany thousands of miles from America. But no museum no memorial not 200 million not 21 million not even one thousand not even a dollar has been set aside so that we may set up a museum or memorial for all of our ancestors who suffered an untimely death.

lol,

We're fine now. Granted, we could've accelerated the process of getting into mainstream society much faster had we not been slaved...

if anything, I think we should ask for reparations based on our horrible treatment up till the 60's/70's moreso than the actual slavery. The "white man" has payed enough for that.

Really, we're one country now. We don't need to be divided into groups. We're shouldn't be black, white, brown, yellow, or red. We should be American.

Not disagreeing with you. I would be very akin to the idea, lol. Especially since the Jews/ etc, get paid.
      [CENTER]1 Corinth. Chapter 13:
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER] "If you have the law of love, you will find the answer."[/CENTER]

BlackPowerGeneral wrote:

Africa before Europeans

Ghana (AD 5th-13th)
      A rich and powerful gold kingdom.

"He is the richest sovereign on Earth."
      -Ibn Hawkel, 10th century North African geographer on Ghana's king

Mali (AD 13th-15th)
      An empire larger than Western Europe. Its prosperity and morality gave the empire great international prestige.

"It's inhabitants are rich and live comfortably."
      -Mahmud Kati, famous medieval Syrian scholar

Songhay (AD 11th-17th)
      An Empire larger than Mali that was renowned for its scholarly culture and complex government.

"(Surpassed) all other Negroes in wit, civility, and industry."
      -Leo Africanuas, 16th Century Spanish Moor

Kongo (AD 14th-17th)
      A provincial government with an advanced system of checks and balances.

Zimbabwe (AD 10th-15th)
      A feudal kingdom that has obtained fame for its large stone structures.

Swahili Coast
      A very advanced merchant civilization that traded with India, China, the Mid East, the interior of Africa, and North Africa.

Bornu (AD 13th-17th)
      One of the longest lasting kingdoms of all time. Renowned and feared for its armored knights and cavalry.

Benin (AD 13th-19th)
      A highly organized forest kingdom that had much direct interaction with the first Portuguese merchants. They are renowned for their naturalistic art.

Ethiopia, in the Middle ages
      A highly advanced Christian civilization known for its military might, close relationship with the Portuguese and magnificent architecture.

Ancient Nubia
      One of the world's most powerful ancient kingdoms; it halted the Roman, Greek, Assyrian, and Persian conquerors- it even ruled over Egypt for a time. It built pyramids, palaces, and other great architectural feats. It also developed its own written language.

Ancient Aksum (Ethiopia)
      One of the richest and most powerful kingdoms in ancient times; it even ruled over Southern Arabia for several centuries. It is known for inventing the first castle and developing its own written language.

Also google

How Europeans underdeveloped Africa

south africa is a rich and powerful diamond kingdom still today, but it is a war ridden shit hole too, just because places are rich and powerful dosn't mean they are nice to live in

BITCH
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [COLOR="Red"]Don’t pollute the planet. It’s where I keep all my junk.[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrange"]You say tomato, I say Lycopersicum Esculentum.[/COLOR]I GIVE REP TO PEOPLE WHO TELL ME THINGS ABOUT [COLOR="Red"]AVTOMAT KALASHNIKOVAS[/COLOR]

DamnImGood wrote:

Be happy. There's never been a better time to be black than now.

What does that say?

Just because "it's never been better" doesn't mean I have to settle for second rate treatment... and, for the record, there have been FAR better times to be black.

This is probably one of the worst times to be black if you're living in the native country of Africa... it's never been better to be black in America and modernized civilizations, but even that's not saying much seeing as I still must put up with bigotry and racial intolerance.

south africa is a rich and powerful diamond kingdom still today, but it is a war ridden shit hole too, just because places are rich and powerful dosn't mean they are nice to live in

BITCH
      In comparison to what? The United States? China? Japan? Russia? France? Britain? Rome? Italy?

South Africa is far from a kingdom. It's divided into many, many countries. The 'Government' is rich and controls all because of the diamond trade, but they're just rich in comparison to their respective people living there. They don't have the monetary status or currency that the top countries in the world have, which is what defines a rich and powerful kingdom. They also don't have the military or technological advances, idiot.

Maybe you should pull your head out of your ass before you speak again, bitch.
      [/CENTER]

M.M.oody wrote:

South Africa is far from a kingdom. It's divided into many, many countries. The 'Government' is rich and controls all because of the diamond trade, but they're just rich in comparison to their respective people living there. They don't have the monetary status or currency that the top countries in the world have, which is what defines a rich and powerful kingdom. They also don't have the military or technological advances, idiot.

Maybe you should pull your head out of your ass before you speak again, bitch.

and how did the europeans do this?

BITCH
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BlackPowerGeneral wrote:

The arguments against reparations are pretty weak. One of the is Blacks sold other Blacks into slavery well

In 1720, King Agaja Trudo of Dahomey not only opposed the trade, but even went as far as to attack the forts that the European powers had constructed on the coast.

Other African leaders such as Donna Beatriz Kimpa Vita in Kongo and Abd al-Qadir, in what is now northern Senegal, also urged resistance against the forced export of Africans.

Queen Nzinga went as far as fighting Europeans when Europeans dare suggested she sell some of her citizens into slavery.

Additionally, Blacks selling other Blacks into slavery is a valid argument for reparations. Europeans gave these Africans gold, silver, salt, silk and other goods in exchange for slaves. Shortly after the "scramble for Africa began and Europeans took all of these goods back when they colonized Africa. The Europeans built the wealth of their nations from slaves & the wealth that Africans accumulated from slaves went right back into the hands of Europeans. So the Blacks who sold other Blacks into slavery should not be punished because they already have it.

While I acknowledge no one alive is morally responsibility for slavery however slavery has left economic and social disparities between Blacks and Whites and the only solution to fixing these disparities is reparations. Many businesses that are around today (such as Chase Bank) benefited greatly off the slave trade and that wealth was passed from one generations to the next. Only a fool in denial would say the actions of whites in the past have no effect on the current conditions of Blacks today.

Since slaves were not paid no wealth was passed from one generations to the next and whites had a huge head start. In fact 80 percent of black kids begin their adult lives with no assets and the net worth for Whites 6 Times Higher Than Blacks.There are programs such as Affirmative Action that benefit Black children but, according to statistics Affirmative Action benefits White Women followed by Asians the most.

There is welfare but several Blacks who are the descendants of slaves have never been on welfare and there is some Whites are not the descendants of slaves who are on welfare.

The other argument is that reparations should be a ticket back to Africa. All of these Black people have a say here we have helped to build this country. A one way ticket back to Africa is not sufficient for reparations because a slave probally made that one way ticket back to Africa over 50 times in his life time.

So what about your inheritance? That is not an excuse, my family had nothing to pass on to my father, yet he worked his ass off and is now a multi-millionaire.

My ancestry is Irish, the English basically came into our land and pilliaged, killed and forceably took over the place- much worse than slavery imo... do the Irish need some sort of payment for past cruelty? No.

The people who owned slaves are long dead. Then is then, now is now, get over it.

And google slave memorials, there are quite a few.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DamnImGood wrote:

I meant North America. And it is saying much because had you been alive in the 50s or 60s you would be treated a lot worse. We've come a long way, and yes, we have a long way to go, but it is still the best time to be black. It's probably not good to be anything in Africa (it's a continent, not a nation). It is a continent that was pillaged and left for dead, but there will come a time when the world looks to it as its last refuge. We just won't be around to see it.

But should I have to settle for that? It is not saying much if the centralized message of the 50's and 60's Civil Rights movement has not been realized. It wasn't for us to be equal(which we still aren't), it was for us to not have to put up with racial intolerance, period.

We'll be alive to see that day, trust me. But that's not gonna be the place. It's gonna be more like Europe.

DamnImGood wrote:

But all that aside, what is money going to do to solve your problems? Is giving money going to make the bigotry and racial tolerance disappear? Obviously not, so what's with the mission to receive money? None of us partook in the slave trade or "put down" the black community, so why should we have to pay for it?

It depends how much money it is. The money isn't to solve problems that can never be solved, but to repair most of our own damaged pride and situation. If some of my relatives(because I am not poor anymore) had enough money to invest in something positive, do something positive, or buy food, they wouldn't be going to jail for trying to steal a hot meal or get money to feed their children.

Like it or not, this is a real life situation... here... in America. I have cousins behind bars right now for stealing a pack of diapers.

It was a horrible time in history but it has passed. Our generation was not involved in previous generation's follies, yet we are somehow liable. I don't see the logic in that.

It's not YOU that's liable. It's the US Government for allowing it to happen. Like was previously stated, if the Jews can still get money for the holocaust from the government for sins America's government did not even create or permit, then why can't we get payment for something the government was involved in?

Why does everything always have to be black vs. white in these kind of arguments?
      [/CENTER]

To those who asked about what Europe did to Africa:

The only reason why Africa is war-torn between warlords is because the retarded Europeans randomly divided Africa into the countries we know of today, regardless of the social differences and conflicts between tribes. They divided Africa for their own benefit, and as a result, enemy tribes were forced together, lands owned by one tribe were given to another, etc. The reason why we have wars and genocides, such as the one in Somalia, today is because of how Europe foolishly and selfishly divided Africa.
      [CENTER].::ANIME is DOPAMINE to me::.

[/CENTER]

DamnImGood wrote:

I didn't say you had to settle for anything, and I already said we have a long way to go. But it is hard to argue that it is no better living as a black in North America now than it was living in the 60s.

And one could argue that it is harder in certain parts of the country.

DamnImGood wrote:

Nah, it won't be Europe; it is already settled and developed by the western world. Africa is largely untapped of its natural resources and relatively sparse of people. That is where the world will turn when things get ugly.

It'll be Europe.

Likely Rome, actually.

There's no way it's Africa, even with all of it's "untapped" resources. What do you think the purpose of the AID's virus is anyway? It's like a means of population control.

DamnImGood wrote:

How is money going to solve pride? And what, you're just going to disperse it amongst yourselves? I can see all sorts of problems with that. Everyone is going to want some. Are we to pay some dividend to every black person in America? Furthermore, is every poor black person's misfortune a direct result of the slave trade or discrimination? What about poor white people? Latino people? Oriental people? Do poor people of those groups not deserve a helping hand, too?

By allowing us to get that extra push to continue schooling... or to stay out of selling drugs to support a family.

And yeah, every family of African's getting a percentage of whatever money the government is willing to shaft us on sounds fair.

The point that "not everyones misfortune is a direct result" is irrelevant. The fact is it happened. The Jews are getting paid for something America had no part in(even if you don't agree with it). No, it's not slavery/discriminations fault for every black persons financial misfortune, but if you don't think something as recent as 40 years ago hasn't set us back in terms of what could have been and what could be accomplished, you're out of your mind.

I'm fine with the Oriental's getting money, as well as the Latino's. They were both also exploited by this country, working tooth and nail for minimal gains and wages. Whites... meh. They don't really pertain to the topic. What has the American government ever done that blatantly screams anti-white? Sorry, that's just the way it is.

DamnImGood wrote:

I disagree with the Jewish people receiving money. I disagree with any group getting special treatment for something that happened long ago. Natives in Canada don't have to pay taxes on anything. They get special discounts for things like tuition. Even if you're 25% Native, you still qualify for the discounts. How is that fair? It's not, and I don't agree with it.

That doesn't change the fact that they do.

DamnImGood wrote:

I never said it was black and white, but it is implied, is it not? Those who took advantage of blacks were primarily white, so it would stand to reason the group of people you want reparations from would be white.

Whites aren't the one in question here... it's the irreprehensible acts a "free" country/democracy allowed to take place under a constitution that mandates that all people are created equal.

It's really a no-brainer. Especially if the Jews are getting theirs.
      [/CENTER]

My ancestry is Irish, the English basically came into our land and pilliaged, killed and forceably took over the place- much worse than slavery imo... do the Irish need some sort of payment for past cruelty? No.

The people who owned slaves are long dead. Then is then, now is now, get over it.

Worse than slavery ? You must be kidding me

Whatever happen to the Irish is white on white crime. Also Reparations are not just for slavery but for Jim Crow too.

The effects of slavery can still be seen in African Americans today. America has benefited from slavery including the descendants of slave owners. Whites are higher on the social food chain because their forefathers were slave owners while blacks are lower on the social food chain because our ancestors were slaves. Chase bank is still around and it benefited greatly from slavery and that wealth was passed from one generation to the next. Blacks were not able to start their own businesses so no wealth was passed from one generation to the next.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BlackPowerGeneral ().

DamnImGood wrote:

Overall, North America in 2009 is a much better place to be black than North America in 1959.

What does AIDS have to with anything?

Why would the world's refuge be Rome? I think we're thinking differently about what the world is going to be like...

We're thinking about the state of the world much differently. It's very clear that the leading powers of the world very much do believe in racial inequality. Africa is just a great example.

And again, WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO SETTLE AND "be happy" WITH THAT?

I don't see how you're being "shafted" of anything. You make it sound as if you have the right to this money, and the government is denying you that right. Sorry, but being owed money is not a right.

If we have enough money to bail out the Jewish and white bank share holders and insurance companies like AIG, they have enough money to ship all us out a piece of what is deserved(not owed).

Whether we have rights to that money or not is, again, irrelevant because of the Jews being paid for an atrocity that had no American involvement.

It is totally relevant. You're saying you were held back because of discrimination and slavery and therefore owed money to make up for it because it has left you in negative standing, so to speak. But obviously not every black person or family was held back, or not every black person/family is in a dire situation. Are we to pay them as well, simply because they're black?

If you don't think every family was held back then this argument is pointless. That's an idiotic statement. Just because some have busted to the forefront of society doesn't mean anything... yes, and they should get their papes, too.

This isn't about being poor in this country. It's about, at one time, being oppressed by a government that broke all of it's human rights constitutional laws.

Let me get this straight. We should just shell out millions of dollars to every person in America who is not white just because they were exploited? Every race has been exploited at some point in history. It's unfortunate, but civilization itself was built on slavery and exploitation.

Mmmhm. You people wouldn't still be here if it wasn't for us. This country isn't the power it is today if it wasn't for us.

And, while this civilization WAS built on slavery and exploitation, people in wigs are running around saying, "we hold these truths to be self-evident" and "all people created equal under one God" and "indivisible."

Get real, man. If you think slavery, torture, extortion, exploitation, discrimination, and unconstitutional behavior hasn't set us back, then you're clearly not thinking as rationally as you like to think you do.

No, it doesn't, but you're using the argument that since they get it, you should get it. I'm arguing that just because another group gets it, doesn't mean it's right and it doesn't mean you should get it either. I disagree with it on all counts.

Again... what you think is irrelevant. It will not be relevant for the course of this conversation. There are facts and there aren't facts.

I am well aware that America was founded on a steaming pile of bullshit. As George Carlin says, "America's leading industry is the manufacture packaging distribution and marketing of bullshit. High quality, grade A, prime cut, pure American bullshit."

High quality, grade A, prime cut, pure American quote. Truly.

I don't see how receiving money is going to solve all your problems. Racism and discrimination will not go away. If anything, you will generate more resentment because there are families of other races/backgrounds who are poor, too. And yes, some of them are even white. Do they not deserve some money as well? I think the government already has something to help those people; it's called welfare.

Like I've already stated, money won't solve all of our problems... but it will start us on the right path. What would you rather they give us? A sincere letter of apology? What would I do with that? Wipe my ass. (?)

To say I, and I am using that in context of the everyday citizen of my generation, is not responsible and this does not affect them is naive. The government cannot afford to give out that kind of money, especially when the government's prime source of income is its citizens. Aka, me. Furthermore, it's not even the same government, so I don't see how it can be held liable either

If we have enough money to bail out the Jewish and white bank share holders and insurance companies like AIG, they have enough money to ship all us out a piece of what is deserved AND owed(seeing as the Jews are getting theirs).

It's the EXACT same Government. The point that you disagree with whatever "handouts" other WHITE(in most cases) races are getting(ie Jews) is completely and totally irrelevant, EVEN THOUGH... Oh... guess what...? YOU'RE PAYING FOR THAT, ANYWAY. Anybody who doesn't think this is the same government as then is just blind and ignorant to the fact that the Government doesn't have the peoples best interest in mind. This government hasn't changed one bit. They still love to push their racial, political, ethnic, and "moral" ideals and extremisms upon us... they just have more modernized ways of doing so.

I'm sorry, but getting a huge sum of money is not going to solve your problems. If you're looking for some kind of closure or acknowledgement from the government for what happened, then I can understand that, but I think it's already common knowledge that the discrimination that occurred in America and other nations was a black spot in their respective histories.

"/
      [/CENTER]