Runners, help meeee.

• Runners, help meeee.

Hm. Soooo. I suck at being athletic, majorly. I started doing cross-country, right? With pretty much no running ability whatsoever. So I started training and stuff, but then around the middle-end of June I kinda took a break, partly because I was having some trouble with some things and every time I ran, I'd throw up. (I don't really want to get into it. Point: I didn't run.) Soo my coach just called me with a lovely reminder about how I have to run 11 miles for a fundraiser on August 18th, and that I have to have a 7 minute mile by the time school goes back in (August 7th?) Soooo. Uh, is that possible? Anyone have any ideas/suggestions/advice/anythingg? I want to get back into it now that he kind of just jolted me back into it. And I'm not gonna let stuff get in the way this time. But do I even have enough time?

Soo if this gets moved to Sports that's cool. I'd just like some help...quickly, heh.
      Tell me, can the hateful chain be broken? Production and consumption define our hollow lives. Avarice has led us 'cross the ocean toward a land that's better, much more bountiful and wide. When will mankind finally come to realize his surfeit has become his demise?
    • Re: Runners, help meeee.

shit dude lol hmm. i just recently started running but just because being healthy pwns so. 11 miles could be hard, but its not impossible. if your allowed to wear mp3 player do it. but choose songs that you love and having heard in a while. that way, when you listen, ure all pumped up in shit. as far as puking...idk. drink alot of water, stretch, eat alot and eat healthy. i started running without any previous experience. all i did was set a time limit, like an hour, and everyday have to complete that time just running. take as many breaks as you want, but dont be a wuss. gradually youll build up till the point where you can run for a while. to get a 7 minute mile, just find someone that can run that fast, run with them, and figure out how fast you really gotta go.

well, do some hill work. that really helps. find a steep, long hill and sprint up and down it, stop for a sec, then do it multiple times. that helps with cross-country. you can also run intervals, which is just doing a bunch of laps around a natural path, taking a break, and doing it again. dont JUST run. it helps, but doing other things helps a lot more. and try not to be easy on yourself. if youre gonna run with someone else, make sure that theyre motivated, and at your level.

I used to do cross country but then my gym class started having us run a mile or more a day, so I quit... Anyways, if you are serious about trying to run 11 miles in the next month I'd do as many leg exercizes as you can. Do sqats, sprints(for cardio), just plain out running, and if/when you do the 11 miles make sure you don't sprint it, I made that mistake the first day I joined cross country, and it's not a fun mistake to make.

actually, getting a buddy would be the best thing. stay healthy (by eating well and drinking lots of water, but not too much) and run with somebody who wants to run as well. personally, i'm a hurdler, but i learned to run for ROTC. music and a buddy is prob the best way to keep you running. if i don't have either, i like to sing a song in my head that matches the rythm of my feet.

I've never done cross-country, but i run for soccer alot. I'd say the best thing for you to do is start off small, so mabie run 5k,or what ever you think you can easily do.(i live in Canada, so Km not miles) Then take a break. Then run another 5k or so, and just repeat this. Like, i run 15k in the morning and 10k at night.
      So, i'd say start small and work your way up. Also if you work with a freind it will alot easier and music helps to.
      I'd try running up stairs, Sprinting up hills and long distance.
      In your run i wouldent worry about getting in first right off the start i'd say just stay in sight of the leaders and wait till about 1 mile to speed up and try and pass them. After you pass then just stay in front of them, and wait till they start to sprint. Good Luck!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Biking is generally easier, so try to bike 30 miles, and if you can do that every other day, and run the days inbetween, you will be fine. 7 min. mile isn't hard, but you will have to train.
      When I stumbled into Billy's room and saw my boy's limp body swaying from a rope tied to a ceiling hook in this closet, I could hardly see for the tears. Dungeons and Dragons killed my boy. Don't let it kill yours.