Bisexuality and Myths

• Bisexuality and Myths

Hey,

I don’t happen to be Bi or Gay, but I have had/have friends that are gay and bi, the following is some Myths about Bisexuality and their truths. I admit I have limited insights into the subject, but I have a Bi firefighter in my company that I talked too and do a lot.

Myth: Bisexuality Is Only A Phase

While it can be a phase, and some times is not, bisexuality happens to be just as much of a natural process as homosexuality and heterosexuality. Bisexuals are completely in touch with their emotions and desires for members of both genders and often feel limited by the thought of attraction to only a boy or girl.

Myth: Bisexuals Have To Choose To Be Either Gay or Straight.

Bisexuals are attracted to both boys and girls, Some "Lean" straight while others lean "Gay" but its not always the case. It doesn’t mean they don't switch it up, its just who they are attracted too more. It can change depends on who they become attracted too. Being bi doesn’t mean you have to choose for your life who you want to have a relationship, your able to be open.

Myth: Bi Men Are Sexually Promiscuous.

This is one of the major myths associated with Bisexuality, Promiscuity (frequent sex with multiple partners) is a personal independent trait, and just because your Bi, doesn’t mean you have this trait. Even through, liking both males and females increases a bisexual's chances of finding a sexual partner or potential relationship it doesn’t mean they will have frequent sex with multiple partners.

Myth: Bisexuals Will Never Marry.

This is another myth. A bisexual marriage is not much different from such as a heterosexual or homosexual marriage. Finding a life partner is just as viable as if you were homosexual or heterosexual. It is possible to be bisexual and still marry and have a marriage, it doesn't change that, it just opens you up to both sexes.

After reading this, I hope you, if your bisexual do realize you can have a full and rewarding life with your sexuality and that being bisexual isnt the end of the world.

Well, I hope I wrote this okay, and I did try as much as I could, so if it helps anyone, then its okay :). If anyone has anymore input into these, they can post them here.

:hugs:
    ~ Cat

The post was edited 6 times, last by Johnny Bravo ().

• Re: Bisexuality and Myths

well, I know some bi guys that are married...actually. I knowe alot. I find it rather disturbing when people associate myths to sexual roles. I used to be bi, and while it was a phase for me, it may not be for others.

one of the major difficulties bisexuals face is the myth that they will fancy everyone. the moment some guys hear that a guy is bi, their general reaction is to think he likes them, and girls think he preferes guys, and vica versa. its less stressfull for a female bisexual because the high majority of men do not mind and in fact enjoy the idea of a bisexual girlfriend/wife. bur for guys, it can be very stressful. I'm dating a bi guy and am very happy with him. :)
    [SIZE=2]Gay and looking for a friend? Hell, any sexuality is welcome. PM ME FRIENDS VERY WELCOME! hehe[/SIZE]

Reliving life as I should. :)

Hi :)
    I'm currently in sort of a limbo here between deciding whether I am bisexual or not. After a rather drunk night me and a male friend of mine ended up making out and I loved it - does that make me bisexual?
    I hate it when people bully others for being bisexual or gay or something X( Makes me so mad. I'm a pacifist but the only time I will ever hit someone is when they're victimising a person they think is inferior - why do people do this???
    [LEFT][SIZE=4]My mind turns to metal, its gears are turning,[/SIZE][/LEFT]
    [LEFT][SIZE=4]And my sanity withers and dies.[/SIZE][/LEFT]
    [LEFT][SIZE=4]This world all around me, it's bitter and twisted;[/SIZE][/LEFT]
    [LEFT][SIZE=4]Reality, madness or lies?[/SIZE][/LEFT]

Tenris wrote:

I hate it when people bully others for being bisexual or gay or something X( Makes me so mad. I'm a pacifist but the only time I will ever hit someone is when they're victimising a person they think is inferior - why do people do this???

Happened to me alot recently, made me mad also.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love. Mother Teresa

James MacKenzie wrote:

Happened to me alot recently, made me mad also.

I know! It's horrible how some people
    are treated. Just because they're
    different, it's a call to the "normal peop-
    le" to put them down every time they
    do anything. Their ignorance just
    infuriates me! I don't understand how
    people can be so vicious and unfair.
    [LEFT][SIZE=4]My mind turns to metal, its gears are turning,[/SIZE][/LEFT]
    [LEFT][SIZE=4]And my sanity withers and dies.[/SIZE][/LEFT]
    [LEFT][SIZE=4]This world all around me, it's bitter and twisted;[/SIZE][/LEFT]
    [LEFT][SIZE=4]Reality, madness or lies?[/SIZE][/LEFT]

Tenris wrote:

Hi :)
    I'm currently in sort of a limbo here between deciding whether I am bisexual or not. After a rather drunk night me and a male friend of mine ended up making out and I loved it - does that make me bisexual?

Like I mentioned in the other sticky, they are selfish pigs who must have low self esteem to make fun of you over sexual orientation and it’s not right. One does not choose their sexual orientation, and you don't wake up one morning and say "Oh, I'm bi".

Being also a pacifist and a straight guy, I understand where you are coming from and I agree with you, sexual orientation is not something to laugh about or to harass others about and it sure the hell isn’t something to be inferior over.

On the first part, it doesn't always mean you are Bi. Most Teenagers and Men go through a phase in their live where they experiment with both sexes to find their sexual orientation. It may just be a phase or you may be Bi.

I would also ask that you read,
    teenhut.net/gay-lesbian-bisexu…-out-closet-so-speak.html
    as I covered some of this in the opening paragraphs.

Hope this helps
    :hugs:
    ~ Cat

I've encountered these in my life. I've talked to my mom about bisexuality, and she thinks people say they're bisexual just because they're afraid of coming out as a full blown homosexual or lesbian. I think that idea is fucking ridiculous. I've never doubted my attraction to both sexes, and don't expect to ever lose attraction to either sex. I see sex as a great thing and it should not be limited to one gender.
    Don't hang on. Nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky. And all your money won't another minute buy. All we are is dust in the wind.

There are some really good points mentioned above.

It infuriates me that even in politics, gays, lesbians, bisexuals and other forms of sexual orientation not of heterosexuality is looked down upon. I love the states that voted and decided to have same-sex marriage legal. I don't understand why people discriminate against people who just happen to like someone of the same sex. I'm sure if that same person who discriminated had met the "other" sexual orientation besides heterosexual in a heterosexual setting, then they would have probably liked the person. But since they are not, they discriminate and belittle that same person who would have possibly been a good friend.

I just don't get people sometimes. It just makes me angry and wanted to vent to people who would understand.

If anybody has anything else to add, I would love to read it.

I consider myself bisexual. While it can be a phase for some people, for other people it isn't. I have always known I had an attraction to both girls and guys, and for a young kid that can be very confusing. When I finally got up the courage to tell my Catholic parents, I was kicked out of my house. My parents haven't spoken to me since I was 14. I live in an appartment with my best friend. Sometimes being different is difficult and believe me I know it. But if you are different, don't be ashamed of it. :)

Dead. wrote:

I've encountered these in my life. I've talked to my mom about bisexuality, and she thinks people say they're bisexual just because they're afraid of coming out as a full blown homosexual or lesbian. I think that idea is fucking ridiculous. I've never doubted my attraction to both sexes, and don't expect to ever lose attraction to either sex. I see sex as a great thing and it should not be limited to one gender.

This thread has helped a lot being bi i always feel like you have to live up to some sort of label where im just me a normal person. I also tried the same with my mum and she said the exact same thing. She thinks its just a "phase" and that ill eventually choose. That may or may not be true but i dont know its just not fair when i know i like both.

my opinion on sexuality:
    I agree with anyone who said or implied that there is more to sexuality than just the labels we use. I believe that the labels are what we consider points on the spectrum of sexuality. Say you had a line with points A, B and C. A and C are the end points, and B is an equal distance in between. If you were to place something on the line, it would never be exactly on the point. If it were, then the point would be not a point but a section of the line. If it is a section, that means that everything in this section could and are in different spots on the line. It's the same with sexuality. Were A homosexuality, B bisexuality, and C heterosexuality, then either you claim them points and no one can consider themselves homosexual, bisexual or heterosexual, or they are segments and people in those segments can lean a little off-balance relative to someone else. So if you say that a guy is heterosexual, then he is in a section that means he likes mostly people of the opposite sex. That doesn't mean he can't like guys, too. There is a large chance that every sane human being has experienced some heterosexual attractions and some homosexual attractions. It's disturbing, though, how the majority of people I know (other than my close friends) are homophobic. they believe that homosexuality is wrong. They may not always be homophobic, but some will. Those will be the ones who crush out any hint of homosexuality in themselves. Those will be the ones killing gays and lesbians. They are the mentally unstable ones, not the open minded. I personally do not like labels. Break up the spectrum of sexuality into thirds: the left third homosexuality, the right third heterosexuality, and the center third bisexuality. what happens when 66% of the people you like are of the opposite gender, while 33% are of the same. what would you be? You would be in the middle, in between bisexuality and heterosexuality. With the slightest imbalance you could consider yourself one or the other, but you shouldn't base your sexuality off of a slight imbalance. Especially teenagers like myself. I may be able to say that all but five of my many past crushes have been male, but that doesn't mean I'm necessarily straight. however, five homosexual crushes don't make me bisexual either. so what am I, if I am between? Do you understand now why I loathe these labels so much?
    sorry for the strangeness, it's copied from another forum. (I still wrote it, just originally on a different site)
    yeah. my opinion.
    that's all.

I cannot stand the ignorance of some people believeing that you MUST be gay or straight. They don't seem to understand that there is a middle ground where one can be attracted to both sexes. I am bi, and although I "lean" more straight, I have had girlfriends before. It's frustrating when people think that I'm "confused" and can't decide whether I'm gay or straight. I'm not confused. I know exactly what, and who, I like.
    Hollywood;-I'll be here the day your heart stops beating...

=]hippiegirl=];2519538 wrote:

I consider myself bisexual. While it can be a phase for some people, for other people it isn't. I have always known I had an attraction to both girls and guys, and for a young kid that can be very confusing. When I finally got up the courage to tell my Catholic parents, I was kicked out of my house. My parents haven't spoken to me since I was 14. I live in an appartment with my best friend. Sometimes being different is difficult and believe me I know it. But if you are different, don't be ashamed of it. :)

I'm the same. I consider myself bisexual and I've known even when I was a kid. Even though I was torn when I was 15 whether I was gay or not, I realized when I turned 16 that I was actually bisexual. I don't have anything to hide or be ashamed of. Even if my parent's may or may not accept me for who I am. :wink:

I'm very confused. i have always dreamed of marrying the girl of my dreams and starting a family, but for a while i have been experiencing bisexual thoughts and i've been confused on whether i really am bisexual or not. i don't want to be bi though i don't feel right but i can't help the thoughts and actions and i certainly don't want to tell anyone close to me even friends I'm afraid of what they think, to add to this tug of war i seem to think that if i tell everything will seem a lot better. but i don't know what i am, HELP ME PLEASE?