Starting High School

• Starting High School

Okay so my freshman year is coming up in about two weeks, and im nervous because im going to a high school where i don't know anybody. That's what worrying me the most.

So everyone, give me your opinion on the best way to make friends quickly on the first day/week. Thanks. :o

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the
      day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous
      men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
      -T.E. Lawrence
    • Re: Starting High School

Just be yourself, you will be fine. i was terrified my first day of high school, but it turned out to be not all that different than middle school, only with about four times as many people. if you are in a larger high school, you are going to be surrounded by TONS of people you have never met before, i think of this as a good thing though. for all the ones you don't know, you are starting off with a blank slate... whoever you were in middle school, that's all subject to change now. everyone's starting off from zero again.

Talk = Key. If you dont say anything then hows anybody supposed to know you're there or want to make friends. One of my friends didnt know anybody when she went to high school but now she has loads of friends. You always end up sat next to somebody so just chat to them, then they'll introduce you to their friends, then their friends, and so on. Eventually you'll know everybody by at least their name.
      Good luck =)
      [CENTER]-smashmyfairytale-.tumblr.com
      Follow Me?[/CENTER]

Like a lot of people have said, just be yourself! I say this a lot but it's very true; a good bit of people are really friendly people, and will be very kind to you! I sometimes just talk to people I don't even know, and I haven't come across a mean person yet. If they look like they're easy to get along with, then they probably are. Just say hello, ask them about their favorite music, books, TV shows, etc. and just strike up a conversation.

Another good way to meet people in high school is to go to parties. Try to stay away from drinking parties though, that's never a good risk to take for a starting high school student. Parties are a great way to meet people because at a party it's understood that you will be meeting people there. Just approach people the same way I mentioned earlier. It never hurts to ask!

A good way I met friends was through my electives. For me it was choir: I was surrounded by people that shared the same interest as me, so that helps to break the ice a bit. Extracurricular activities are a great way as well. Any place where you're around people that share the same interests. It's always easier that way.

Enjoy yourself, these years have the potential of being the best four years of your life!:)
      [CENTER]
      [CENTER]The only angels we need invoke are those of our better nature; reason, honesty and love.
      The only demons we need fear are those that lurk inside every human mind; ignorance, hatred, greed, and faith.

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

I remember my first couple weeks at high school. The homeroom teachers have out maps of the school to help us navigate our way to classes, and yet I still kept getting lost. :rolleyes:
      I also remember standing around nervously, waiting to hear which homeroom I would be put in. And when I got to homeroom on that first day, I was still shaking in my boots (so to speak) and kept quiet and to myself as I normally do when nervous.
      It never hurt or hinderedme at all in any way from enjoying the rest of the school year, and I even laughed about it later on in the year. and in fact still do today.
      Tips? Be yourself, try not to be too self-conscious, try to enjoy it, and of course have fun!
      Fidelis ad meus amor.
      kazaman.deviantart.com/

A big thing is sitting with a bunch of people at lunch. Don't shy away from a fullish table, but ask if you can sit with them. If you sit by yourself, then you're missing a big social opportunity.

Also make sure you get to know the people around your locker, as you see them quite a bit during the day.

And if you do happen to play a sport, that's the best way to make friends. Most of my good friends at my school are on the basketball team with me.

Good luck with your freshman year,
      Conor.
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Teal"]Hakuna Matata.
      Windows/MSN: laxinsjsb[/COLOR]

I'm going to be starting high school soon too. :]
      Are you going to be going to a new school and that's why you won't know anyone?

I wouldn't stress out too much, there's going to be lots of people, just like you! Who don't know anybody. I would be yourself and things should sort of fall into place easily after that. You'll make friends before you know it. :]

I wish I could offer more advice, but I don't really know what to say and I'm kind of in the same boat as you are. :] So, talk to me whenever you want. :]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=3]I[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=3]am....[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER]RockMeBaby<3[/CENTER]

Highlife88 wrote:

Yeah High school is supposed to be your best years... you'll have fun.

Frankly I think it was a bunch of superficial BS.

My best advice is to be yourself. Find people who like that, and get close with them. It's not worth anything to try to be popular or fit in. Because once you're out of high school, it doesn't even matter. 10 years down the road at a high school reunion, no one is going to remember you were the captain of the cheerleading team.
      What matters is that you build your true character and not a false one, or you'll set yourself up for disappointment. Let your true colors shine. Who cares who doesn't like it? You'll probably never see them again after school.
      [LEFT]These are hard times for dreamers.[/LEFT]

ha ha James is right there, I know what he means anyway - because he could talk to the smokers, he had something in common with them, so it encourages you to talk and make new friends. So, you can do something similar - such as join a couple of groups they might have, or other societies, I don't know which they will have as all schools are different. But if they have a drama group or a reading group, or anything to do with sports or music - if you're into anything like that - it would be a good way of meeting new people and getting to know those who have a common and shared interest.

Or, you could form your own group if there isn't one. Sometimes, getting involved with things like that can actually go towards, or help with your grades, so it's always worth doing. I actually was involved in a drama group, and my English teacher was the teacher who sort of helped run it. And she had a disabled daughter, in a wheelchair. So, when we rehearsed or had a show after school, I'd always help her carry the wheelchair up the 5 steps into the hall, and spend time talking to them. And she graded me an A on my work going into the exam, and I always think to this day, she boosted my grades because of that.

Above all else, don't worry. It's a weird feeling starting a new school, when you don't know anyone, but relax and let people come to you as well. The more you stress and worry and try too hard, you will usually have the opposite effect. So, just keep calm and enjoy it.

As someone said, a party is also a good way of making new friends, but keep control and don't get known for being the one who got drunk, stripped off and threw her bra into the fish tank =]
      [SIZE=2]Aaron - [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Support Leader[/SIZE] :kiss:
      [LEFT]
      [RIGHT]-

Saradactyl;2086538 wrote:

Haha, Aaron. I wuv youuuu.
      [/RIGHT]
      [/LEFT]

lullaby :) wrote:

talk = key. If you dont say anything then hows anybody supposed to know you're there or want to make friends. One of my friends didnt know anybody when she went to high school but now she has loads of friends. You always end up sat next to somebody so just chat to them, then they'll introduce you to their friends, then their friends, and so on. Eventually you'll know everybody by at least their name.
      Good luck =)

top advice

Be yourself, be the truth and people who are likewise and people who matter will be drawn to you. This is my fifth year of high school coming up and my fourth different high school and I've learned that quality is way more important than quantity (pertaining to friends). Just don't let others create pressure for you; remember, it's your journey and your experience. Enjoy it, learn from it and keep an open mind, you never know what you'll find out about yourself. Bon voyage.

I'm sure everyone's already said all this, but anyway.. :p

DON'T make the mistake of thinking that a new school means that you'll have the opportunity to be anyone you want to be. Be yourself. Starting the school year by trying too hard to be a certain way, aiming for popularity and all that, will get you nowhere. Focus on being friendly, smile and say hi and try to take a different seat every day if your school allows it so you'll get to talk to different people. Try to keep the conversation flowing, but not for longer than what feels natural, just long enough to actually get to know the other person and give them a chance to get to know you. Don't focus too much on what they think of you, just be genuinely interested in getting to know them, answer the questions they may have (where do you live etc.) and ask them stuff too.
      I've been to three different high schools and this always got me through the first day. =) The first few weeks are always hard and you may feel like you don't fit in and that nobody wants you there, but the truth is that if you want friends, you have to do something too. I've been on both sides of this scenario - I've been the new girl, and one of the "old" students, and it's not always easy for the old students to take care of the new girl either if she doesn't seem interested. The most important thing is to be yourself and be nice to everyone without being fake, and you'll be fine. Also say yes to any invitation, this is always a great way to get to know people better and talk about other things than school.
      Whenever I'm sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.