lisbon treaty

• lisbon treaty

ok this thread will not apply to many people on here, but anyone who is in a country which is a member of the EU will surely know of the lisbon treaty, its a treaty which needs every country on board or else the treaty cannot be passed, now if it does go through, it will mean that the european parliment will have complete and utter control over every single thing, so if they wanted to pass a law of say abortion for example, they can pass it without a vote on it, taking away the first rights people have!! now im from ireland, and this treaty has already been voted against, not only in ireland but germany and france, and they are making us vote again, surely this is in violation of our democratic rights??? anyway its a big deal at the moment and i just wanted to see what people thought on the subject???
    • Re: lisbon treaty

kopite wrote:

now if it does go through, it will mean that the european parliment will have complete and utter control over every single thing, so if they wanted to pass a law of say abortion for example, they can pass it without a vote on it, taking away the first rights people have!!

Hangonhangon, I'm no expert as to the ins and outs of the Lisbon treaty but I'm pretty sure my exaggeration buzzer is buzzing. If it really was the case that the EU parliament would suddenly have total control, I think there wouldn't be the political support behind the treaty that there is.

kopite wrote:

now im from ireland, and this treaty has already been voted against, not only in ireland but germany and france, and they are making us vote again, surely this is in violation of our democratic rights??? anyway its a big deal at the moment and i just wanted to see what people thought on the subject???

I do find the re-vote rather funny, but bear in mind that you're voting for a re-jigged treaty with Irish opt-outs, if I'm not mistaken.

I believe that the EU is, as it is, imperfect. However, I don't think that should rule it out, because the advantages in cohesion are great. Individual European nations are losing political clout in the rises of countries like China, and we need a unitary body to represent us. The single market has also been a benefit to our economies. That's not to say that I oppose the danger in ever growing European influence in domestic affairs of individual states, but looming issues such as that need to be solved by walking forwards rather than backwards.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

Also, even if throwing out a re-vote is kind of a dick move, you can still vote against it.

I could set up a bill that, if passed, would essentially take $30k out of the nations tax money and give it to me in monthly installments over the course of the year, every year. I could keep reintroducing this bill over and over an over again, but that doesn't mean it will pass.
      Love it when you call me Legs
      In the morning, buy me eggs

Esmo wrote:

Hangonhangon, I'm no expert as to the ins and outs of the Lisbon treaty but I'm pretty sure my exaggeration buzzer is buzzing. If it really was the case that the EU parliament would suddenly have total control, I think there wouldn't be the political support behind the treaty that there is.

oh ya neither am i, im just goin on what the no vote is telling me, in contrast to the yes vote, but ya basically they will have way more control than what they have now, like for instance, they are thinking of bringing out a EU army, so that will mean any country that was neutral, might be forced nto recruting people from that country!!!!

Esmo wrote:

I do find the re-vote rather funny, but bear in mind that you're voting for a re-jigged treaty with Irish opt-outs, if I'm not mistaken.

thats the thing, now i havnt read the treaty myself, (because ive never been that bored in my life) but they guy who is pushing the no vote has read both and said there is nothing at all different about it, its just worded different in places!!!

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

BadaBing wrote:

I'm hoping that Ireland does not back the treaty so that they can piss Europe off.

ya im the same, because our government is just the biggest joke that has ever been, like seriously, 5 year olds would do a better job!!!!

kopite wrote:

like for instance, they are thinking of bringing out a EU army, so that will mean any country that was neutral, might be forced nto recruting people from that country!!!!

Source me please.

kopite wrote:

thats the thing, now i havnt read the treaty myself, (because ive never been that bored in my life) but they guy who is pushing the no vote has read both and said there is nothing at all different about it, its just worded different in places!!!

Ignorance breeds wrong. Have you considered taking into account a less biased opinion? (Or at least one that's biased the other way.)
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

Esmo wrote:

Source me please.

ok i spent a while on the internet looking for anything substatial on subject, not much luck, but i think the best stuff is on libertas.eu
      also lisbontreaty2009.ie

Esmo wrote:

Ignorance breeds wrong. Have you considered taking into account a less biased opinion? (Or at least one that's biased the other way.)

oh well trust me ive listened to the yes vote, and there is nothing at all behind there reasoning to vote yes, all they have done is say how people who vote no are stupid, like they keep saying that there will be jobs created if the yes vote is passed through, when nowhere in the treaty it says even 1 job will be created!!! and in our constitution at the moment, it says that anything that changes the constitution needs to be voted by the irish people, now lets take for example the issue of abortion, i know its over used, but im too tired to think of anything else, now at the moment abortion is illegal, but if the yes vote is passed, then a person can say i want an abortion, and bring it to the eu court and it can be overturned!!!

basically im dont even care about what will happen to ireland anymore, the main reason im voting no is because democracy is being destroyed, like the italians didnt even get a vote, the parliment just decided to pass it through, the french got a vote and they voted no but the parliment said, no ye voted wrong and passed it anyway, we are the only country to get a second vote, so we have to vote no, for democracy!!!

The post was edited 1 time, last by kopite ().